HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hawken: First Day

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationOTG Headquarters

Posted November 08 2012 - 07:34 PM

I thought I'd give my first day thoughts. It will be brief... :P

I had no idea what to think when coming in to Hawken. I have played FPS games, including MW since forever. But I have not play an online one since CS Source, BF 1942, and Ravenshield. Yes....that long ago. Mostly becuase my connection is a meager 1.5. So I lag and get kicked on most. I can play hawken (with a rare disco now and then).

As soon as I got into it...I was amazed by the detail. I am greener than green now days though, so I cannot speak for the genre. But I have to hand it to you devs and such. Way to get me back into it....even if it is as a target.

Pros:

1. The look and feel of the game
2. The action seems real and not just an "arena"
3. Ease of gameply...even if I still stink :D

Cons:

Most are probably due to it being closed beta. Most of the garage area seems off limits. Can't even tinker a bit beyond a couple screens (those that show what my mech does).

Stuff I've read about the level of experience....again due to the stage of the game.

I think the only thing I see as a gripe either has to do with not knowing what the weapons do right away. I got the feel for them fast enough, but only by trial and error. Probably, mostly cause I wanted to play NOW...  :P

Anyway...as a green guy...all I can say is I had a blast so far. Reminds me of the old days of getting owned til I found my groove...er something

/thumbs up

Edited by Gestankfaust, November 08 2012 - 07:36 PM.

#2 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 08:13 PM

The teaming up in deathmatch is lame though.

#3 SilentCid

SilentCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 08:44 PM

View PostGestankfaust, on November 08 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

The teaming up in deathmatch is lame though.

I don't believe it's really teaming up but trying to kill steal the other player's kill.

Posted Image

#4 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 09:39 PM

It is when you see them not fire on each other the whole time....One is a turret, the others defending.

#5 NIGHTRAV3N

NIGHTRAV3N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 09:48 PM

You will get used to chaotic world of HAWKEN. Don't be discouraged for being new to the scene and if you encounter a veteran.
I would highly recommend to read over this great post for individuals as yourself.

community.playhawken.com/topic/8527-welcome-new-beta-testers-some-advice-on-testing-hawken/#entry86889

"God is not on the side of battalions, but on the side that shoots best"

#6 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 10:13 PM

I read that...which would have nothing to do with the teaming up on deathmatch.

Gotcha though...I'm reading my arse off and finding new things to help. Cept for that asshat thing of people teaming up in deathmatch. Which defeats the whole purpose of a deathmatch server. Just sayin.....

#7 NIGHTRAV3N

NIGHTRAV3N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 11:28 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your experience in DM. I would recommend to join in on some team based gametypes until you get used to the game some more. I personay don't play too much DM myself, but I enjoyed the couple matches I have experienced. A necessary survival tip out on the battlefield is using EVERY bit of environmental cover possible. With time HAWKEN will become more enjoyable for you, and I hope to party up with you out on the battlefield sometime ;]

#8 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 11:44 PM

View PostNIGHTRAV3N, on November 08 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

I'm sorry to hear about your experience in DM. I would recommend to join in on some team based gametypes until you get used to the game some more. I personay don't play too much DM myself, but I enjoyed the couple matches I have experienced. A necessary survival tip out on the battlefield is using EVERY bit of environmental cover possible. With time HAWKEN will become more enjoyable for you, and I hope to party up with you out on the battlefield sometime ;]

Ahh...it wasn't that bad. Just disappointing that people still think it's ok to do on DM.

I hear ya on the environment....I am still having a blast.

:)

#9 chipeloi

chipeloi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 04:27 AM

My first couple of matches where... Frustrating, i'm getting old my reflexes are not what they use to be =)
But damn this game is twitchy, its fun i'll give it that, but throwing veterans with noobs is a problem, me 4 kills veteran 20+kills, normal i would say but having to battle: mechs and pilots who have a lot of upgrades... again very frustrating, trying to kill something with your base weapons, him taking everything my weapons have till over heating and then kills me in 2 seconds flat.
Noobs and vets need to be seperated for the simple reason that the noob will quite after a few matches, no need to be a punching bag for someone.
and before you get upset, the rules are simple:
the noob gets into a game and gets shot to hell, hardly getting any kills, 80% will quite after a few matches, you need casual players to make a game great not just pro's.
its still beta so a lot will change, from what ive seen in other game, matchmaking is one of the most important things, people need to enjoy the game if we want to have a big player base.

Just my two cents.

#10 NIGHTRAV3N

NIGHTRAV3N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 04:39 AM

Ya I can understand where you guys are coming from. Until an actual pool separation of casual vs competitive play is iterated just use the "matchmaking" option for now. It's still in early stage but it's supposed to help with partying up with pilots in your skill range.

#11 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 09 2012 - 06:20 AM

I ran into a mix of the noob brigade and hardened veterans that could repeatedly wipe the floor with me. If the noobs have any patience, they will harden in the fires of battle, against the anvil of war.

Though honestly, I kinda enjoy the new players. There is a certain glee to be had when you run a corner, run into three guys clumped up - expect to be screwed but fire all items and weapons anyway. Cause going down in flames is my style. I got slagged pretty bad, but EMP hits like all of us, they all get hit by a TOW and HE. And my force field deploys. So I sit in the force field, going hmmm, do I hang out and hope for allies to come or make a run for it_ Then EMP wore off and I noticed they resumed blasting endlessly at my force field. Until their weapons overheated. And I really wasn't one to pass up a turkey waiting to be carved. My first triple kill ever.

Though like people should talk more. Someone that was new asked me for some advice, and I simply told him to not stop moving, dash forever and watch out for rockets and all things explodey. Suddenly he's like #2 on the scoreboard.

#12 Foureyes

Foureyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted November 09 2012 - 07:18 AM

Everyone's gotta start somewhere. Coming from CB1, the first evening was harsh to me, a casual gamer that is more into RPGs, adventure and non-competitive games in general. But yesterday I managed a 35-5-12 in a DM. Just shows that with a little perseverance, learning and luck, you can do great. For me, it quickly became clear that dodging, using cover, using items and just keep moving was the formula for winning encounters. There is also a lot of small stuff, like staying on repair orbs to actually repair, that should be explained to newbies in the to-be-implemented training. Observe what the people who kill you do. Experiment with weapons and items loadout and with optimization trees. Find what works for you and you'll have a blast.

#13 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 07:36 AM

At the end of the night last night, I wasn't doin too bad (except the last game or two...cause I was tired :P). Just as long as I get some kills, I'm ok.

Just so I have it straight though.... "K" stands for "Krushed", "D" stands for "Dominated", and "A" stands for "Anihilated"....right_

:ph34r:

#14 Cinj

Cinj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 07:38 AM

View PostGestankfaust, on November 08 2012 - 10:13 PM, said:

I read that...which would have nothing to do with the teaming up on deathmatch.

Gotcha though...I'm reading my arse off and finding new things to help. Cept for that asshat thing of people teaming up in deathmatch. Which defeats the whole purpose of a deathmatch server. Just sayin.....

I've been in a match where someone complained of folks teaming up. I got the feeling I was probably one of the accused. While I can't speak for others and there may very well be some teaming up going on, there's also the possibility that it's just people picking their battles. In my case, when dealing with two folks already engaged in a firefight, I'll size up the two and go after the one who I think will get me the quicker kill. It just so happens it's usually the less experienced player, so I can understand where it might seem like the vets are ganging up on the newbs. And it may sound counterintuitive to go after the weaker prey rather than go after the stronger player while he's distracted, but you never know when someone is gonna come up from behind and kill you first. At least, that's my MO.

View PostDreizehn, on November 09 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

Though like people should talk more. Someone that was new asked me for some advice, and I simply told him to not stop moving, dash forever and watch out for rockets and all things explodey. Suddenly he's like #2 on the scoreboard.

So far my experience with people needing help has been folks being so oblivious that it would be a mind-numbing ordeal trying to assist them to their satisfaction. That's not to say I mind giving help here and there, but some people just can't be helped.

But in terms of just overall talking, I don't know. Personally, I'm not much of a talker myself. It mostly stems from the abhorrent way many people like to behave online and I just don't like to open myself up to any unwanted drama, so I just keep to myself most of the time. I'm sure most folks have their own reasons for not being very social.

#15 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 09 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostGestankfaust, on November 09 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

At the end of the night last night, I wasn't doin too bad (except the last game or two...cause I was tired :P). Just as long as I get some kills, I'm ok.

Just so I have it straight though.... "K" stands for "Krushed", "D" stands for "Dominated", and "A" stands for "Anihilated"....right_

:ph34r:
No, K for "Kano," D for "Dairou," and A for "Ashrah."

Edited by DarkPulse, November 09 2012 - 11:52 AM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#16 RavenGenesis

RavenGenesis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 04:57 PM

DM is a KS fest from my experience.. after every firefight be prepared to be ganked by someone behind you.. it's always behind you...

#17 TheMadness

TheMadness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 05:18 PM

View PostRavenGenesis, on November 09 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

DM is a KS fest from my experience.. after every firefight be prepared to be ganked by someone behind you.. it's always behind you...

Waiting til the end is no fun. I prefer to do my ganking while they're still going at it. A well placed TOW can work wonders.
My love for you is like a truck
BERSERKER

#18 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostTheMadness, on November 09 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

View PostRavenGenesis, on November 09 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

Waiting til the end is no fun. I prefer to do my ganking while they're still going at it. A well placed TOW can work wonders.

Yeah I go at the battle just rying to cause dammage :D

Quick (and probably a stupid) question. The alternate weapon listed, how do you actually use that. I tried reading about it and looked a few times at the control key setup and messed around in game. Just never got it figured out (haven't played since last night though). I saw where the middle mouse button does a secondary fire, but can't seem to figure out how to use the alternate weapon.

Edited by Gestankfaust, November 09 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#19 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 07:17 PM

You swap to the alternate weapon while in the garage in the match.

There's a box on the bottom of the screen that has "switch primary" or something to that effect.
Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#20 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 07:23 PM

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on November 09 2012 - 07:17 PM, said:

You swap to the alternate weapon while in the garage in the match.

There's a box on the bottom of the screen that has "switch primary" or something to that effect.

Thanks!

I knew it was something really simple I wasn't seeing

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users