HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Sound Bug

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Troutzorz

Troutzorz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 08:29 PM

Today, for the first time, I got a sound bug, similar to the sound bugs that plague other games. After the end of one match, and loading into the next, the bug occurred. No sound was playing in game, neither on the mech selection menu, or from the actual gameplay (walking, shooting, boosting, etc.), and the volume of the music that I had playing in the background was reduced by about 75%. After exiting the new match, there was a loud 'pop' noise, music returned to normal volume, and the main menu played sounds as normal. Thinking that the bug had run its course, I joined another game, and the volume of music slowly decreased, and all in-game sound was again mute. After closing, and re-launching the game, the sound has finally returned to normal. Rare or inconsistent bugs like this can be hard to track down. Please try to fix this.
Severity : 2
System Specs: Windows 7 Ultimate, 8GB DDR3 RAM, RadeonHD 7970 GPU, Belkin n150 router (wired connection), unknown modem.

Edited by Troutzorz, November 08 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#2 golemGear

golemGear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 08:43 PM

i got something like this also.  i'll get occasional pops, like a loose wire or something, but other than that, no sound in-game.  Sometimes sounds come back in the garage, when moving across different fields.

#3 Celanor

Celanor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted November 09 2012 - 03:35 AM

I experienced this issue as well. There was usually a loud pop whenever the screen would switch from the lobby to the mech selection/launch page, and when returning to the lobby from a game. While the sound issue is happening it looks like the levels are maxed out when looking at the sound meter in Windows 7.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
Hawken Launcher 0.1
Version Date: Nov 6, 2012 CL# 25094

Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition 3GHz
2x HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit
M5A97 EVO Socket AM3+ 970 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Radeon HD 6770 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.1 x16
ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless-N Adapter
ASUS Xonar DX PCIe 7.1 Audio Card (Using onboard Realtek ALC892 audio for headphones)

I dumped the core while the match was running and issue was present, let me know if you need it.
-Did you try turning it off and on again_

#4 NIGHTRAV3N

NIGHTRAV3N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 03:39 AM

I actually have encountered this from both beta events. Just earlier while playing this had happened and forced me to pay attention a bit more during the match. Bug is pretty annoying, but I do enjoy the challenge of no sound from time to time lmao :D

"God is not on the side of battalions, but on the side that shoots best"

#5 Thygon

Thygon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationDarkside of the moon

Posted November 09 2012 - 03:54 AM

Has happened to me one time and one time only.

So I didn't post a bug report cause I wasn't sure it was not my sound card.

#6 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 04:46 AM

Out of curiousity, do you run any instant messengers while playing Hawken_ Specifically ones which have an audible cue when a message is received, and did you happen to receive an IM at the time of this happening.

I'm working on a theory that it's somehow related to Windows automatically adjusting volume controls. I've noticed it in other games.

#7 Propolandante

Propolandante

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 04:25 PM

Just experienced the same issue. Upon exiting the match, I find no issues in the main menu. I join a new match, and there it is again. Very frustrating, I'll try rebooting and launching the game again.

#8 [HWK]Oz

[HWK]Oz

Quality Assurance

• Adhesive Games
  • 49 posts
  • LocationProsk HQ

Posted November 09 2012 - 06:48 PM

Is this only happening to people using music programs in conjunction with Hawken_  OP, what program were you using to listen to music_

We'll be looking in to this. Thanks.

#9 Snoozer

Snoozer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 10:43 PM

This also happened to me when I wasn't running a music player. I did have ventrilo open though.

#10 SystemiK

SystemiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 11:00 PM

I've been randomly experiencing this bug since alpha.  I am not using any audio programs, the only other programs I (often) have running running are Fraps and Ventrilo (though I have also seen the issue even when neither of those programs are running).

As I said, it seems completely random.  Loss of in game audio has never occurred during a match.  When this randomly happens, without exception, I leave the previous match with normal audio function and begin the next match with no audio.  

In the lobby during the interim between matches, I always know ahead of time when it is about to occur as I will hear a static like, "popping" sound every 5 or 6 seconds.  Every single time I have heard this "popping" sound while in the lobby, I have begun the match with no game audio at all (however my ventrillo client, and windows audio is not affected and continues to work normally).  

Finishing the match and starting another round will always continue to be without audio.  The ONLY way I have ever recovered the in game audio once it has been lost is to shut down the client and restart the game (so far this has worked 100% of the time).  I would estimate this has happened about one match in twenty for me (in alpha, beta 1, and beta 2).  On the occasions when audio has been lost in game, I still can hear audio in the menus (i.e. I can still hear the sounds from hovering over items with the cursor or clicking on the buttons).

Win7
No discreet audio card.
Realtek audio: Gigabyte GA-Z68-UD7-B3 Motherboard
No other sound issues experienced aside from Hawken.

Edited by SystemiK, November 09 2012 - 11:08 PM.

There is no time like time wasted...

#11 ShinAsuki

ShinAsuki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 01:29 AM

I have stuttering with sound in game sometimes its delay or no sound at all

#12 Celanor

Celanor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted November 10 2012 - 03:55 AM

I do use some messenger programs, however sound is disabled. I played another few hours tonight and didn't get any popping noises at all, this time using my discrete audio card. Maybe it's something to do with Realtek audio, I'll dig around some more Sunday.

View PostInny, on November 09 2012 - 04:46 AM, said:

Out of curiousity, do you run any instant messengers while playing Hawken_ Specifically ones which have an audible cue when a message is received, and did you happen to receive an IM at the time of this happening.

I'm working on a theory that it's somehow related to Windows automatically adjusting volume controls. I've noticed it in other games.

#13 NullenVoyd

NullenVoyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 03:56 AM

Also had the sound pop out once so-far.  It was after playing for an hour or so, and only after voice chat had gotten busy.  Didn't have anything else open except Steam, but no messages or activity was happening with it at the time.

Also exited back to the main screen in-game and sound came back, was able to play again.

Win7 x64, 16GB DDR3 2000, 6970.

#14 Korriban87

Korriban87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted November 10 2012 - 04:22 AM

View Post[ADH]Reapertown, on November 09 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

Is this only happening to people using music programs in conjunction with Hawken_  OP, what program were you using to listen to music_

Occourred to me  without having any other "sound" program of any sort open, I might have had MSN open though, but I wasn't chatting.

#15 Damage

Damage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 04:33 AM

I had this happen on a new system build with another game and thought it was a bug, you might be experiencing the same thing I was. Windows has an option to reduce all system sounds when a communications application is running. Since these games have built in voice, it detects them as such. You might want to check to see if that is enabled.

Right click the speaker icon in your system tray, select playback devices then select the communications tab. See if reduce sound by 80% is checked.

Maybe you will get luck and that is the problem.

edit: I scanned the post and left this advice, after actually reading it what I said probably has nothing to do with it but I will leave it here just in case it happens to help someone else.

Edited by Damage, November 10 2012 - 04:37 AM.

#16 SystemiK

SystemiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 01:40 AM

View PostDamage, on November 10 2012 - 04:33 AM, said:

Right click the speaker icon in your system tray, select playback devices then select the communications tab. See if reduce sound by 80% is checked.

I disabled the check box for this setting and have been playing on and off all day with no loss of in match audio.  It usually happens at least a couple of times each gaming session so this is promising.  If It happens again I will update this post, otherwise I am hopeful that this may have solved the problem (at least for me...).
There is no time like time wasted...

#17 Zymz

Zymz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 07:50 AM

Ditto sound loss between matches, Only messenger I have running is Skype, but I do not experience this problem with any other programs / games on my computer.

#18 Celanor

Celanor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:37 AM

So I double checked my sound settings, I have the option to lower volume when communications sounds are played disabled. I have been playing Hawken with both Skype and Trillian open, as well as a PUTTY session, they all have sounds disabled though. I did hear the pops when using the Realtek sound card, but I haven't been able to reproduce the issue yet.

When this happened, it was the first time I had played the game, is this the same for everyone_

#19 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:57 AM

View Post[ADH]Reapertown, on November 09 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

Nope! I do not play music while playing, nor have I been using Vent/Mumble/TS while playing (lately).

Summary: You can hear a "pop" noise at least once before audio goes out. In-game there are no sounds, but it sometimes will come back in the gear-selection lobby prior to re-entering the game after death. Exiting the match and re-entering does not resolve the issue, but exiting the game and re-entering does.
Steps to Reproduce: Happens most frequently when there are multiple sound samples from various directions occurring simultaneously. Enter any game with 6+ players and have roughly 20-30 sounds occurring at the same time... This includes both explosions and announcer communications.  
Frequency: Once every 10 games (roughly)
Severity: 3
Additional Notes: This exact bug has been seen in various UE3 based games. I can recall it being nearly identical in Tribes:Ascend BETA, but recall it being similarly prevalent in Section 8 as well. I think I recall that it has something to do with the XAudio2 failing with RTL sound and having a max channel saturation before giving up. Microsoft and their crappy DX9 audio initializer... no known issues when using the ALAudio device.

System Audio Specs:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Integrated RealTEK ALC885 Audio
Driver: 6.0.1.6642 5/22/2012
HWID: HDAUDIOFUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0885&SUBSYS_1458A102&REV_1001

Edited by c0mad0r, November 13 2012 - 01:58 AM.

It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

#20 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 13 2012 - 10:21 AM

Happened to me twice only during the entire CB2.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users