HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Siege Mode: Too easy to snipe enemy battleship

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 10:39 AM

Something came up in the middle of a game I was playing so I hung out back at the base for a minute. Then when I got back to the game an enemy battleship just launched. Basically I just went to the top of my protected base and sniped it down. I can't confirm that I was the only one shooting at it but I know we did not have the AA. I don't really see how the other team could have countered it either. I got disconnected but the other team was clearly the better team except for the fact that I shot down 3 of their battleships in a row. It should be pretty easy for the devs to look at the sharpshooter mech and see what dps it can have and compare that to the hitpoints of the battleship and its flight time.

My gut reaction is to remove the ability to shoot down the battleship with conventional weapons. Perhaps you can shoot its guns off but you won't be able to bring it down without the AA. Also I find that the one AA location can become stagnant. Maybe more AA sites would help. Or maybe the battleship doesn't just shoot at the closest target but will be more aggressive to mechs shooting at it.

There were also some times when the battleship stopped moving, and I have no idea why that happened or if it was a bug.

#2 MajorAjer

MajorAjer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 10:41 AM

I totally agree. The shot needs to be blocked from base. I was doing the same thing you were and the other team had no choice but to try and lob grenades over the wall or try to zerg in and kill me.

#3 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 09 2012 - 10:47 AM

I disagree. The battleship should be targetable. Perhaps there should be a damage reduction from shooting from within a protected area like spawn, but it should still be available.

But remember, if your entire team is just sitting back in base on sharpshooter, playing AA battery, the other team has control of the entire map, and you are now fighting a war of attrition that you will never win unless you push out of your own base and start filling up on energy to launch your own battleships.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#4 SirMilagres

SirMilagres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationBrasil

Posted November 09 2012 - 10:54 AM

I like the idea of shooting the battleship with conventional weapons, it makes the game more varied from just controlling the AA.
I face several groups that just camped in their base to shot the battleship down and its not hard to counterattack it. They're usually occupied looking and shooting up, so I got some easy kills with this.

But still, its EASY to down the battleship, depending which mech your playing with (sharpshooter, looking at you). So devs need to rebalance battleship armor, OR, what I would do, is just lower the damage inflicted by some conventional weapons (like, the assault rifle is ok but, sharpshooters secondary - forgot its name - need to be rebalanced)
Best weapon on a zombie outbreak_ Mechs.

#5 hammerhead

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationQuebec City, Canada

Posted November 09 2012 - 10:55 AM

The battleship get progressively stronger as the match goes on so killing the battleship without controlling the AA is not a viable strategy in the late game.

#6 Saunders

Saunders

Game Designer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 11:30 AM

Between now and open beta you'll see some incremental changes to the way siege works, with a focus on reducing the matchtime of those uber long matches, and just generally making it more fun.  Post open beta we have plans to overhaul a few things that should make it uber epic and much more balanced  :D

Tell us what you'd like!
David Saunders | Game Designer on HAWKEN @ Adhesive Games

#7 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 11:39 AM

View Posthammerhead, on November 09 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

The battleship get progressively stronger as the match goes on so killing the battleship without controlling the AA is not a viable strategy in the late game.

Really_ I was shooting it already pretty late in the game. All the other team needed was just one more battleship to get through.

Thanks for the reply Saunders!

#8 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 11:43 AM

View PostElix, on November 09 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

But remember, if your entire team is just sitting back in base on sharpshooter, playing AA battery, the other team has control of the entire map, and you are now fighting a war of attrition that you will never win unless you push out of your own base and start filling up on energy to launch your own battleships.

Yeah I agree there was no way to win this game. The other team clearly was better. But we did have the option to just prolong the game. It's more of a grief tactic than anything.

#9 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 11:54 AM

Well some great suggestions were already posted, but I like the idea of multiple AA's. Also, to reduce the length of matches just make conventional damage like at least 30% less than it already does.

I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future...

I consume time... And I will consume you!
Posted Image

#10 MajorStewie

MajorStewie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:02 PM

this may be asking for way too much but it would be cool if you could board the battleship

Edited by MajorStewie, November 09 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#11 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:05 PM

I don't think this is the right game mode for it, but a game mode where mechs can be airdropped in (while still having fixed spawns at opposite ends of the map, otherwise it's just the random spawn points of free-for-all deathmatch made more complicated) in advance locations on the map, as if coming from a dropship, could be pretty cool. Would need to be carefully measured, though, and the idea as-is right now doesn't have enough to differentiate it from just having random spawn locations.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#12 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:16 PM

View Post[ADH]Saunders, on November 09 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

Tell us what you'd like!
  • Less focus on standing still in your base slowly gunning down battleships (topic)
  • More focus on raiding enemies and stealing resource instead of each team picking a resource point and camping out
  • More reasons to split up/work in smaller groups instead of blob together and roll over objectives
  • Also CTF mode :P

Posted Image

#13 SGRock

SGRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:59 PM

View Post[ADH]Saunders, on November 09 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

Between now and open beta you'll see some incremental changes to the way siege works, with a focus on reducing the matchtime of those uber long matches, and just generally making it more fun.  Post open beta we have plans to overhaul a few things that should make it uber epic and much more balanced  :D

Tell us what you'd like!

I like the uber long matches on siege......
Occupation:  Old guy (do it long enough and you get really good at it)

Super cool jpg goes here>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users