HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

[Bug*] _ key opens the game console in Spanish keyboards.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:57 PM

Bug desc.:
_ key opens the console in Spanish keyboards.

Related notes/Repro:
Actually, it's not possible to remap the console's key via the User Interface. So ES end-users typing the _ symbol in the chat window will experience this problem.

Severity: 3.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#2 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:07 PM

Now, that's weird. The console key was changed to F5 instead of ` (backwards apostrophe/tilde key) to aboid conflicting with European keyboard layouts that put the @ symbol on that key.

However, the key can be remapped. I don't know what the exact Spanish equivalents will be named if you have a Spanish-language version of Windows, but it shouldn't be too hard. Open this file: (My) DocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfigHawkenInput.ini

Look for the section called [Engine.Console] and change ConsoleKey= to F12, see if that has an effect.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#3 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:19 PM

I do appreciate your feedback very much, Elix.

Nevertheless, many ES pilots, not so familiarized and versed (as you or me) on data-driven content editing, will experience this issue in a pretty annoying way.

The devs should have this case into proper consideration in order to adress it in further builds of the game.

Thanks,
Sil

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#4 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:24 PM

Well, yes. The exact same thing happened with UK and certain other keyboard layouts. It's good to report it.

I was giving you instructions on how to change the binding as a way of trying to find out if this fixed the issue (namely, _ and F5 seem to be the same on ES keyboards). It's obviously not going to be a permanent or convenient solution for all ES users, just as it wasn't a permanent solution for UK users.

Could you please try that for me and see if _ still brings up the console_ Thanks for your time and effort.

See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.

#5 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:29 PM

A faster temporal solution would be typing the ¿ character instead. - ES users got 2 symbols as you probably know.. :)

Although I do appreciate your suggestion I would not recommend editing any ini files during this or any further testing process.

Thanks.

Posted Image

#6 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:45 PM

I've been editing my INI files for weeks. It's pretty harmless. At worst case, you delete them and open the game, and it recreates them. You lose all your settings, but that's what keeping backup copies is for. It's really a lot less harmful than you might think. Worst case, the game crashes or won't start, and then you just recreate the INIs or put the backups back.

Could you please test this for me_ I'm trying to figure out if there is a glitch where it picks up the _ even if the key is re-bound, and I do not have an ES keyboard or Windows set up for ES input.

#7 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 10 2012 - 03:17 PM

That .ini modification doesn't work, Elix.

Modified the value to F12 and occurs the same thing.  I think this is the problem -->TypeKey=LeftBracket

And yes, in an spanish keyboard the same key is shared with the _ symbol and the apostrophe. The faster solution, IMHO, would be allowing to the end-user binding the console key his own (if required, as is the case here).

Edited by The_Silencer, November 10 2012 - 03:19 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 10 2012 - 06:28 PM

I think I've found the problem. From HawkenInput.ini:

[Engine.Console]
ConsoleKey=F5
TypeKey=LeftBracket

Put ConsoleKey back to F5, change TypeKey to F12. I bet that'll fix it.

Looks like this's another change that'll be necessary in order to handle conflicts with international keyboard layouts. Also, console access is not generally needed unless you have a reason to look back over the chatlog (and even then, the chat widget works, generally, now).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users