HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

No OneHit please

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 06:54 AM

Aether said:

If I wanted 1hk's I would go play a sniper in CoD or Halo. But if you have a large mechanical suit of armor, it's expected that you can take a few hits. A big selling point of the game is actually being able to control a mech (walking around, hopping, shooting, evading), not spawning and dieing instantly from 1hk sniper weapons. Also, if you consider the Armored Core series, which we all know is the main game of the genre, they do have 1hk weapons (the charged Kojima cannons) but they are near impossible to use. And if they were any easier to use, everyone says they would be game breaking.

That is not to say that 1hk is never fun. I used to play some instagib in quake derivatives and that was very fun. It is purely optional though.

Yes, this was one of my biggest problems when I played BF2142, you would get spawn kill and take 15 seconds to respawn. And from the video, it also looks like there will be a 15 second respawn, which I'm fine with so long as it takes a little bit to take you down.

#22 clownfart

clownfart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAB, Canada

Posted April 21 2011 - 08:30 AM

1hk weapons don't work in arena type games unless you can stack up on hp and armor like some arena games (quake world for example).

If the death match style is to start with weapons and armor off the spawn (like I assume it will) you are the "up" player. Meaning the guy that killed you is probably lower hp/ammo stack than you are after spawning. In a case like this it not be as fun, and I don't think that really fits in a mech/arena game. Should be 2 hits minimum with large reload time. If the game developers think 1hk's work though, they probably know better. :)

#23 Swollen_Beef

Swollen_Beef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 03:46 AM

The problem with 1HKs is after a while, everyone starts to use them.
Think back to Mechwarrior where everyone began running ERPPC boats. Heat, yes, but why worry about a 5 second shutdown after your target is already dead_
FPS gamers will always seek out the method of play that yields the largest reward with the least amount of risk. And this usually points to sniper, or some other mid-longrange high alpha setup.

#24 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Smokies

Posted April 22 2011 - 05:49 AM

The biggest 'problem' I could see with a high damage weapon (sniper) in this game was right there in the video. There was a constant reticule centered in the windscreen, greatly increasing the chances of people 'no scoping' ala COD.

One of the best balances for snipers, other than long reloads, is the requirement to ADS prior to shooting. Not using ADS should result in very low accuracy and misses 9/10 times. Everybody gets a kick outta that once-in-a-lifetime panic snapshot, but it shouldn't be a regular tool, IMO.

#25 Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 01:20 PM

Another balance for snipers is to require them to have a target in their sights for X amount of seconds before they can fire, delayed hits work too.

#26 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 23 2011 - 08:37 AM

I'd be more on the 2.5 instead of the One hit side of the things...

Or by default.. 0,80 health left after to absorve an snipper riffle hit, if you want.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#27 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 24 2011 - 12:39 PM

agreed on not having 1 hit kills,  especially in a game that revolves around dancing with your opponent like this.

Hypothetically, though if there was some kind of long range weapon that dealt heavy damage in 1 shot, accurately, i'd definitely want to see it balanced out with drawbacks like stationary fire only, slow recycle rates and such.

I mean there could be a place for such weapons, but you'd have to balance the hell out of it to keep other weapon competitive.  Let quake 3's railgun stay in quake 3

on a sidenote, i don't think you can actually see the cockpits.  i.e. i don't think there is any actual cockpit glass.  Looks like the player view is supposed to be screens linked to external camera feeds.
Mech time all the time

#28 3leggedFreak

3leggedFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted April 24 2011 - 01:37 PM

Irrelevant said:

Another balance for snipers is to require them to have a target in their sights for X amount of seconds before they can fire, delayed hits work too.
O no I hate those kind of things, when I click I want the gun to go boom. But I'm a UT/Q3A kind of guy so I'm a bit damaged. :] But no I don't want a rail or LG in this game, I hope they stay away from these overpowered hit scan weapons here. 2-3 hits minimum on an opponent with full health, and a lot of stuff that explodes with a real knock back. Yummy.

#29 Dem

Dem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted April 24 2011 - 06:44 PM

Flyingdebris said:

on a sidenote, i don't think you can actually see the cockpits.  i.e. i don't think there is any actual cockpit glass.  Looks like the player view is supposed to be screens linked to external camera feeds.

I'm not really sure on this one, the design of the cockpit, or at least what you see, makes it seem as though there is some kind of clear barrier (or nothing at all) in front of you, not just a camera.  When the mech moves, your view stays pretty much the same, not rocking back and forth like the mech with each step.  If there was a camera providing the pilot's view, then your view would also rock back and forth with each step, so it is most likely not a camera  :ugeek:

#30 Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 24 2011 - 07:00 PM

3leggedFreak said:

Irrelevant said:

O no I hate those kind of things, when I click I want the gun to go boom. But I'm a UT/Q3A kind of guy so I'm a bit damaged. :] But no I don't want a rail or LG in this game, I hope they stay away from these overpowered hit scan weapons here. 2-3 hits minimum on an opponent with full health, and a lot of stuff that explodes with a real knock back. Yummy.

I agree, but just in case....

Nothing wrong with Quake or Unreal, I hope they add a onslaught game type.

I guess the developers forgot to add a glass reflection effect, that or it would too expensive to render considering all the other stuff on the screen.

#31 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 24 2011 - 09:51 PM

Dem said:

Flyingdebris said:

I'm not really sure on this one, the design of the cockpit, or at least what you see, makes it seem as though there is some kind of clear barrier (or nothing at all) in front of you, not just a camera.  When the mech moves, your view stays pretty much the same, not rocking back and forth like the mech with each step.  If there was a camera providing the pilot's view, then your view would also rock back and forth with each step, so it is most likely not a camera  :ugeek:

Well, maybe it looks windshield-like from the inside looking out, but i can definitely tell you it doesn't look like there's a windshield outside looking in.  This design right here has full armor along its front and what looks like a small sensor dome http://img607.images...mechfrontl.jpg/
Mech time all the time

#32 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted April 24 2011 - 10:50 PM

The view is the inside of the cockpit. Of course you don't see your reflection or the side to side motions of taking steps. This is an FPS.
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#33 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 25 2011 - 02:11 PM

I think there is a common sense based opinion on insta-kills on here.

On the other hand, cockpit cameras are SACRED for this game!!. hope we do all agree on this premise. Isn't it _ :D.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#34 vesper1

vesper1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 01:55 PM

One Hit/Shot Kills can spoil a game, but what about One Shot Cripplings_ (like, you get hit and your mech is 'paralyzed' or 'blinded' in some way for X seconds - think sensor damage, weapon overheat, no jump ability, etc.)

This would add a lot of depth to weapon loadouts, map and team tactics, etc.
Recruiting to the Bad Luck XIII Hawken Clan - interested_ Send me a PM.
[almost there...] http://hawkenwiki.net/ (all hail Ashfire908)

#35 Lugo1

Lugo1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 02:08 PM

I agree for one shot only to disable a motor skill, like walk, turn around, or something like that.
=Shadow of Death=

#36 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 26 2011 - 02:41 PM

vesper said:

One Hit/Shot Kills can spoil a game, but what about One Shot Cripplings_ (like, you get hit and your mech is 'paralyzed' or 'blinded' in some way for X seconds - think sensor damage, weapon overheat, no jump ability, etc.)

This would add a lot of depth to weapon loadouts, map and team tactics, etc.

Sniper intel EMP might positively be a possibility. Hillarious!. :D

Posted Image

#37 pocketdrummer

pocketdrummer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted July 02 2011 - 12:34 PM

I could get behind a 1HK idea if it were done like this:

- Only weapon carried
- Dramatically slowed movement. Maybe disable jet packs or make them sluggish
- Huge gun, maybe top mounted
- Charge up to shoot
- No splash damage, has to be direct hit
- Only 1HK in critical areas, otherwise it disables the part/limb/whatever

If you get shot when your opponent has those disadvantages, you probably deserved it...

#38 Provi

Provi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted July 03 2011 - 09:58 AM

Flyingdebris said:

Well, maybe it looks windshield-like from the inside looking out, but i can definitely tell you it doesn't look like there's a windshield outside looking in.  This design right here has full armor along its front and what looks like a small sensor dome http://img607.images...mechfrontl.jpg/
It makes sense if it's a military grade interrogation glass. Or more awkwardly, it could be a tiny dashboard with a couple cams for depth, while the pilot is in the cockpit shell and has implants or a periscope screen to view see from the cam perspective.

#39 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted July 05 2011 - 01:00 PM

One shot kill = Baaaaad.

So to speak :P

Posted Image

#40 Omnisc1ence

Omnisc1ence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted September 10 2011 - 02:05 PM

I think that there should only be one one-shot kill in the game. It is implemented in games such as Halo and even Battlefield, to an extent, and that would be melee hits directly from behind. Imagine you see a sniper mech camping on a building and you take the time to sneak up behind him. Wouldn't you like to be able to surprise that guy and have a bragging right over him_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users