HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Art and related things

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Scrizati

Scrizati

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted April 19 2011 - 02:41 PM

But there's something more to this game that makes me really want to get active and support these guys. You can feel the passion in the art, in the sound, and in the flow of the gameplay. I just want to lose myself in Hawken. - lavalamp1138

From this quote by "lavalamp1138" I was wondering what you though of the art and design in Hawken_

Personally I love the gritty setting and beautiful post-apocalyptic backgrounds seen in the videos. Also while it may seem there is not much to picking a colour scheme to this type of game I would say it works very well and a lot of work has gone in to it. Even the small touches like energy trails and explosions seem well refined.
"Trying to slow down a mech with a tank isn't something I'd volunteer for." - Jen McQuarrie

#2 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 03:10 PM

Hey, that's me! :D
What I really love about the art in this game is that it uses the concept of exageration as a sort of kick-stand to breath life into its stylized take on an industrialized slum in a developing country. It feels as if the environment has a life of its own. There are wires and cables traveling every which way in an attempt to connect with neighboring structures. The buildings are jutting outward as their tips strive to touch the skies. The floating vessles that loom overhead seem almost divine as they reign down fiery judgement. The only tell-tale sign that humanity exists on this forsaken land stems from the billboards and signs that litter the streets with colorful calligraphy and creatures. Yet strangely, there's something I find incredibly inviting from the steam that rises out of the vents.

#3 Scrizati

Scrizati

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted April 19 2011 - 04:12 PM

Well said lava. Those are some really good points, the detail of the wires and pipes give it a nice edge. I hadn't really considered it that way but the billboards do hint at the human side of it, you can really see it as a (once) lived in city. The shocks of colour in the scenery really make them stand out too which breaks up the environment. As for the vessels it's not often you see extras like that that are so detailed and integral to the scene, very nice touch. On the mechs themselves you can see a lot of work went in to the design to give them the chunky and robust feel but the cockpit is a nice contrast, the way it's laid out almost makes you miss the monitors and dials for everything that is going on outside.
"Trying to slow down a mech with a tank isn't something I'd volunteer for." - Jen McQuarrie

#4 NaloaC

NaloaC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 04:33 PM

The art and design for this from what I have seen is genuinely impressive.
Nothing is overstated, rather a "realistic aesthetic" of something that could well be in the far future.
Looking at the level that is shown in the videos, I am reminded of the backgrounds/environments seen in Akira and Ghost in the Shell. The neon of the signs and lighting adding to that no-end.

What lava says about the signs hinting towards a living human element that is hidden from view is a good one and makes me wonder, are there people below the surfaces that they are fighting on, cowering in fear/trepidation whilst the battle rages outside_ Or are they in their living rooms knocking back a few post-dinner beers watching the mechs fight it out and cheering a team on.

The overhead ships are indeed a nice touch and seeing that they are part of one of the gamemodes it's good to see them implemented in both an aesthetic and practical manner.

Looking forward to seeing more.

#5 Scrizati

Scrizati

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted April 19 2011 - 05:30 PM

Indeed, not just a possible realistic future but one which appears to have kept artefacts from the real one. It seems like that might make it much more immersive. That's an interesting one, it could change the atmosphere of the game significantly depending on the background story of the people despite not involving them.

When more arrives I will be all over it.

#6 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 08:13 PM

Haha, sounds like me when Starcraft 2 was first announced, from then to its release date I gathered every picture I could find and ended up with about 1.25 GBs of pictures (that's around 2,000 with varying file sizes). I already have all the media pictures downloaded for Hawken (GET MORE OUT!!!) and I love the art style. Reminds me of Akira and a few other things.

#7 shaken

shaken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 08:22 PM

Zero said:

Reminds me of Akira and a few other things.

Exactly what I thought.  Another user mentioned Ghost in the Shell as well, which definitely bears a resemblance.  The whole style is very... refreshing.  Just unique enough, and chock full of character.

On a related note, the sounds and animations in the first person view already seem so perfect.  Really fits with their mech style.

#8 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 19 2011 - 08:28 PM

vBean said:

Zero said:

Reminds me of Akira and a few other things.

Exactly what I thought.  Another user mentioned Ghost in the Shell as well, which definitely bears a resemblance.  The whole style is very... refreshing.  Just unique enough, and chock full of character.

On a related note, the sounds and animations in the first person view already seem so perfect.  Really fits with their mech style.

Never watched Ghost in a Shell (although I heard the same thing) as I generally have this thing with older content that makes me not able to stand how bad it usually looks/sounds, despite a good story. But there was something about Akira that just made me watch it, that and Miyazaki stuff!

#9 Dizet

Dizet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted April 19 2011 - 10:32 PM

Don't forget that Kow Yokoyama had a big influence on the lead artist. Not only in the mecha design but the kit bash ethos went into the level design as well.

Back in the 80's Kow released some of the first and most amazing multi-media model kits in the world under the name "SF3D". They are currently available re-branded as Maschinen Krieger ZbV 3000.

Check out some of the completed models here by some great talent.

http://www.maschinen...enary&Itemid=11

If you love mech ..... you'll love Maschinen Krieger ZbV 3000.

http://www.scale120.com/_p=213
"The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it."
- William Gibson

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users