HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The current Idle Kicker kicks stationary snipers...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MoloMowChow

MoloMowChow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:08 PM

I'm an avid sharpshooter player, I just enjoy the range and burst damage of the sabot rifle.

While I was playing a "Insanity" server I stood at one point of the map sniping people, and apparently I actually stood there too long and was kicked out of the server after awhile despite actively firing my weapon. I wasn't being targeted by anyone else and the nest I was in gave good coverage so I never needed to move.

I know some people would consider standing in one spot and shooting things a rather unsavory way of playing games, but I think being kicked for camping is a bit too much. I was still firing and taking out enemies after all. It was hard for me to notice the "You're about to be kicked for idling" message in the chat box amidst all the kill messages, film grain and rather tiny text until I was actually kicked.

Perhaps consider having the idle kicker account for players that are still firing their gun and/or consider making the Text Message Warning bigger and more noticeable.

Edited by MoloMowChow, November 09 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#2 Hax

Hax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:14 PM

View PostMoloMowChow, on November 09 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

I'm an avid sharpshooter player, I just enjoy the range and burst damage of the sabot rifle.

While I was playing a "Insanity" server I stood at one point of the map sniping people, and apparently I actually stood there too long and was kicked out of the server after awhile despite actively firing my weapon. I wasn't being targeted by anyone else and the nest I was in gave good coverage so I never needed to move.

I know some people would consider standing in one spot and shooting things a rather unsavory way of playing games, but I think being kicked for camping is a bit too much. I was still firing and taking out enemies after all. It was hard for me to notice the "You're about to be kicked for idling" message in the chat box amidst all the kill messages, film grain and rather tiny text until I was actually kicked.

Perhaps consider having the idle kicker account for players that are still firing their gun and/or consider making the Text Message Warning bigger and more noticeable.

Just take a single step every two minutes to not get kicked. Is it really that hard to tap a then d or s then w_

#3 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:17 PM

Still does this_ Haha, fantastic stuff.

Keep it as it is! Hehehehe!
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#4 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Don't stay in the same spot for three minutes, the idle kicker doesn't pay attention to weapons fire.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#5 MoloMowChow

MoloMowChow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

View PostHax, on November 09 2012 - 08:14 PM, said:

Just take a single step every two minutes to not get kicked. Is it really that hard to tap a then d or s then w_

What happened in this case was that I was so absorbed with sniping that I didn't notice the idle warning nor think/remember about moving every now and then. I just find it silly that firing your weapon doesn't count for the idle kicker but moving does. Someone could just tap their movement keys in spawn every minute and never leaving, and they'd be less useful then a sniper who stands still for a bit too long sniping from a nest.

Then again I didn't notice how long I was standing still for before being kicked. If the timer is like 5 minutes or something then it's probably more my fault. In any case, just giving suggestions for the idle tracker.

#6 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 09 2012 - 10:46 PM

Standing still for that long_
I'm guessing your team didn't benefit from you too much and didn't even notice you were gone.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#7 Snoof

Snoof

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationLocation, Location

Posted November 19 2012 - 06:45 PM

Good, cos if youre standing around as a sniper and doing nothing beneficial for your team then you deserve to get kicked and your efforts for that match wiped clean just to teach you a lesson
Posted Image

#8 JonnyO2

JonnyO2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 11:56 AM

You know, it's funny... I've complained about the idle kick for sniping too, and I've seen the same responses "just move once in a while" and "you're not helping your team", but I have to say, I had found a perfect spot and was helping my team immensely by taking out *every single fool* who stopped moving while coming down one side of the Sahara map, preventing the other team from taking the silo. I'll say it again: if the game includes a sniper mech, then it should let a sniper play happily as a sniper.

I agree that the idle kick warning needs to be much more visible if it stays the way it is.

But I'd prefer that it not stay the way it is and include firing your weapon as a an "active" event.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users