HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

My opinion on leveling.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sariem

Sariem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 05:34 AM

We aren't supposed to talk about the alpha, but fuzzy bunny it. CB feels like a downgrade, and not because of missing content but because of the fuzzy bunny leveling system.

When leveling up just gives you an insane amount of upgrades the game is just no longer skillbased. This might work in a mmorpg where grinding and leveling up is a basic game mechanic, but not here. I don't see the fun in being shot down by a guy in the same mech as me but does more damage per shot just because of longer playtime.

I don't want to sound entitled, but please, get rid of it.

Just... get rid off it.

Or, turn it into a sidegrades system. Sacrifice mobilty and damage for armour, armour and mobility for damage and damage and armour for mobility. Each tree gets it's pros and cons.
This way leveling up will allow mechs to be custom-built into diferent playstyles that change as you progress rather than just alienating newer players. Also, the matchmaker won't have such a big impact on the game, because I've seen a lot of games fail thanks to a badly designed MM.

#2 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 05:58 AM

It will be changing, this has been announced.  Pointless debating the subject until we know what the changes will be.  You can search the CB1 forum for some good alternative suggestions (and a metric f_ckton of bad ones!) on how pilot progress might be rewarded, and a couple of them were received in good spirits by the devs.

I detest the current system with a passion and I've not been quiet about that in the CB1 forum but based on the feedback we've seen from the devs thus far I'm broadly optimistic that the reward system will indeed be taking steps away from merely stacking buffs.  Exactly how far away remains to be seen.

#3 Pursang

Pursang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationTera

Posted November 10 2012 - 06:05 AM

When has leveling up in any game been about skill_ It's all about time spent, and how wisely you spend it. You can get to the maximum in most games with a progression system - but that doesn't make you more skilled then anybody else.
Posted Image

#4 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted November 10 2012 - 07:54 AM

From a developer/publisher perspective, time being spent in the game is exactly what they want. If Skill was the only thing that determined level progression then you would have a split between those who could achieve everything in less than a day and those who couldn't get anywhere at all. Both would likely stop playing because they've either got everything or nothing.
Keeping a steady flow of progression is key to keeping players playing, it's a balancing act.

Posted Image

Hawken EMP Youtube Channel ~ Watch Previous Episodes Here

And unto us a clan is born...

"May all our assists be critical and all our kills be stolen. Amen"

#5 Sariem

Sariem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostFantus_Longhorn, on November 10 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

From a developer/publisher perspective, time being spent in the game is exactly what they want. If Skill was the only thing that determined level progression then you would have a split between those who could achieve everything in less than a day and those who couldn't get anywhere at all. Both would likely stop playing because they've either got everything or nothing.
Keeping a steady flow of progression is key to keeping players playing, it's a balancing act.

Thery could turn it into sidegrades instead of an upfront upgrade like I said in my post.

#6 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 11:35 AM

The Leveling system, along with the internal components and the tech tree will be the bases from which i'll decide if i'm ever going to spend time in this game past the betas.

The current system so atrocious that it will probably kill a large portion of the game's potential player base.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users