HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

inactivity kick out

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 iamhoshi

iamhoshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 10 2012 - 05:34 AM

if your sharpshooter robot ( or any other, sharpshooter is a kind of a sniper class ) stand too long in one place, even if you are shooting to people, killing them, you will get kick for inactivity. this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

Edited by iamhoshi, November 10 2012 - 05:35 AM.

#2 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 10 2012 - 05:38 AM

The game implements an idle/anti-camping kick of three minutes of not moving from one spot. Hawken is far from the only game to do this.

If you are sitting in one single spot for three minutes without getting blown up, you probably aren't helping your team very much. Get moving.

Edit: This also does not belong in the bug report forum, as this is not a bug. This is working as intended. The only thing that might be a bug is if it's supposed to acknowledge gunfire as activity and doesn't, but this is exactly how it worked in CBT1, so I don't think it's going to change.

Edited by Elix, November 10 2012 - 05:39 AM.

HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#3 Ekoba

Ekoba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 06:16 AM

I get one of the highest kill counts on my team with 0 spawn camping. This is a bug as no movement doesent mean were not active.

#4 iamhoshi

iamhoshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 10 2012 - 06:50 AM

but there should be info before you are going to be kicked out. some kind of warning ( ex. "camping is not allowed, move or you will be kicked in 1 minute" ). who counts 3 minutes in their heads_ sick!
see UT2004 modes: you get 1 warning after some time of camping and if you are not moving, one minute later - kick.

Edited by iamhoshi, November 10 2012 - 06:51 AM.

#5 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 10 2012 - 06:55 AM

View PostEkoba, on November 10 2012 - 06:16 AM, said:

I get one of the highest kill counts on my team with 0 spawn camping. This is a bug as no movement doesent mean were not active.
No movement = camping. I don't know how to explain that any better.

View Postiamhoshi, on November 10 2012 - 06:50 AM, said:

but there should be info before you are going to be kicked out. some kind of warning ( ex. "camping is not allowed, move or you will be kicked in 1 minute" ). who counts 3 minutes in their heads_ sick!
see UT2004 modes: you get 1 warning after some time of camping and if you are not moving, one minute later - kick.
The game gives you a warning before it kicks you. It's just hard to catch because the chat is the same as the killfeed. Check the console next time.

See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.

#6 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 07:07 AM

Straight up kills aren't nearly as important if you are playing Siege or Missile.

Playing TDM is different, but still is it that hard to move one step every minute or two_

I say keep it as it is, this anticamp mechanic is 100% fine in my books, and yes I play sharpshooter.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#7 Hundread

Hundread

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:41 AM

Maybe if there's a warning on the user interface that could help players out.

#8 Urbankinox

Urbankinox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 07:35 AM

Providing coverfire on siege AA is important.

I got kicked for "camping" while moving back and forth from cover to shooting position. Repairing and jumping up for spotting.
Still I got kicked for inactivity.

#9 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 14 2012 - 07:44 AM

Exactly

"Providing coverfire on siege AA"
is useless for the team, it is very easy to hide from camping sharpshooter.

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

SAMSUNG EVO 120GB * OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2 600W * Win 7 64
@ defekt : Mobility is King and burst damage is Queen. Checkmate.
Gdy byłem młodszy byłem bardziej beztroski... aha... nie lubię już POLSKI !

#10 JonnyO2

JonnyO2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 10:30 PM

OK, I got kicked for this same reason - I was very happily taking out Mech after Mech on Sahara as they funneled their way through one of the choke points while sitting in an almost-perfect sniping position - you'd think they'd learn! I was definitely helping my team - no question - and racking up more XP than ever (I'm usually not that good, so I was excited to gain some decent XP for once) - xp, which, I lost when I got kicked. :(

I think the idle warning needs to be much more noticable. Or if shooting by itself isn't considered "active", then maybe getting a kill could be_

(Regarding "remember to move once in a while" - that doesn't make camping any more or less fair, all that means is more advanced campers will succeed. If the game has snipers, then you should be allowed to operate as one.)

#11 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted November 17 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostJonnyO2, on November 15 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:

(Regarding "remember to move once in a while" - that doesn't make camping any more or less fair, all that means is more advanced campers will succeed. If the game has snipers, then you should be allowed to operate as one.)

You just addressed the solution to your own problem right there in that sentence. If you've got a good sniper perch picked out, then every little bit just walk around a bit or something. My friend plays as a Sharpshooter and I've never heard him say he's had an issue with this, even when he's supporting me and my teammates in a fight that lasts a while. (However he does move to a new position if the fight moves away from him, but still, the point is that I've never seen or heard of him being kicked.)

And I agree, this isn't a topic for the bug forum. A bug is a coding mistake. This feature is operating as the devs intended it to. If you disagree with it, it would be better suited to say so in the discussion or suggestion forums, IMHO.

#12 hestoned

hestoned

Dev Killer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted November 18 2012 - 01:30 AM

I would say its definitely not working as intended. The point of this feature is to not kick campers, but to kick those oh so wonderful people who would join a server and decide that's the perfect time to go watch tv with an open mic. They are taking up space that another actual player could fill. And yes, sitting in the same spot for 10 minutes racking up kills IS helping your team. Could they be doing more_ Sure, but so could those noobs who go 0/17/1 in TDM. At least both parties are doing something.
http://www.twitch.tv/hestoned
  my stream. Scout and Grenadier play

#13 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted November 18 2012 - 09:32 AM

View Posthestoned, on November 18 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

I would say its definitely not working as intended. The point of this feature is to not kick campers, but to kick those oh so wonderful people who would join a server and decide that's the perfect time to go watch tv with an open mic. They are taking up space that another actual player could fill. And yes, sitting in the same spot for 10 minutes racking up kills IS helping your team. Could they be doing more_ Sure, but so could those noobs who go 0/17/1 in TDM. At least both parties are doing something.

Actually, I'm pretty sure one of it's intentions IS to kick campers as well as idlers, since my understanding of it is that the devs want to encourage a dynamic, moving battlefield to keep the pace of action up, not have matches full of campers and snipers taking pot shots at each other. (But I'm going mostly on hearsay on this one, so I could very well be wrong and I expect someone with more inside information will correct me if that's the case.)

As for camping snipers helping their team through kills, only in one of four game modes. In the objective-based modes games aren't won by kills alone, and in those cases camping snipers are doing next to nothing to help their teammates (Unless it's helping to cover the AA, but that's dependent on teammates holding a majority presence there already and is still not as helpful as actually helping to capture objective points). And regardless of game type, staying in one place is only helping the enemy pinpoint your position and inviting them to rush you.

Main point: Hawken = movement. Or at least it seems to be for the majority of players who regularly do well.

Edited by DM30, November 18 2012 - 09:33 AM.

#14 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 18 2012 - 11:15 AM

View Posthestoned, on November 18 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

I would say its definitely not working as intended. The point of this feature is to not kick campers, but to kick those oh so wonderful people who would join a server and decide that's the perfect time to go watch tv with an open mic.
Are you telling me that you can speak for the Unreal Engine 3 developers and how they implemented idlekicking_ Because we're talking about an UE3 function, not something that was homemade for Hawken.

#15 hestoned

hestoned

Dev Killer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted November 18 2012 - 12:07 PM

It doesn't matter who wrote the code for it. Are you telling me that gaining kills for my team is only acceptable when i press a or d_ That's absurd. I'm helping my team and you just simply don't like that i'm not conforming to you're play style. If i'm firing my gun and displaying enemy location on my teams radar, then that is absolutely not being idle. Camping sure, but i shouldn't have to explain the difference. Its completely unfair that iamhoshi was kicked when its obvious he/she was being active in the match. There is no arguing that.
http://www.twitch.tv/hestoned
  my stream. Scout and Grenadier play

#16 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted November 18 2012 - 05:35 PM

View Posthestoned, on November 18 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

It doesn't matter who wrote the code for it. Are you telling me that gaining kills for my team is only acceptable when i press a or d_ That's absurd. I'm helping my team and you just simply don't like that i'm not conforming to you're play style. If i'm firing my gun and displaying enemy location on my teams radar, then that is absolutely not being idle. Camping sure, but i shouldn't have to explain the difference. Its completely unfair that iamhoshi was kicked when its obvious he/she was being active in the match. There is no arguing that.

None of that changes the fact that the kick is a game/engine feature that was designed this way on purpose and not a bug in the code, and therefore this thread doesn't belong in the bug forum.

If you disagree with how this feature is implemented in the game, there's nothing stopping you from saying so in the suggestions forum where it might get a better look from the devs, because with where it's located now (and with the duplicate topics as well) I wouldn't be at all surprised if they dismissed this thread upon reading the title because it's in the wrong place. They DO probably have their plates pretty full preparing for the upcoming betas already, after all.

#17 dirty0harry

dirty0harry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationChesterfield

Posted November 19 2012 - 01:45 PM

I think its a quality idea, about time the campers got a nerfing :)

#18 Snoof

Snoof

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationLocation, Location

Posted November 19 2012 - 06:49 PM

View Postdirty0harry, on November 19 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

I think its a quality idea, about time the campers got a nerfing :)

Right on, or maybe people are just misinterpreting the word "inactive". This is a team effort guys, if you wanna be a turret go play MWO
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users