HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

match size______ how many on each team ____

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 da_smiter

da_smiter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 01:07 AM

i would really like to see 12vs12 would make reallly tactical but i wouls be cool with 6vs6 .....please don't make it less then 6v6......... thank you for making the game......

#2 NaloaC

NaloaC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 06:06 AM

Down to the size of the levels really.

I wouldn't want it to turn into a frantic "spray everything that moves without care" gameplay. Rather have it slightly more personal. 4v4 or whatever the levels allow.

#3 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 06:29 AM

I'm going to have to go with Naoloc right now. While the action is fast paced, the damage ratio just isn't high enough to justify a 12v12. I'm going to say no more than 8v8. But we'll see, as they have yet to announce their custom game types.

#4 TMRNetShark

TMRNetShark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 08:14 AM

6 v 6 would be enough for me, that way you'd at least have 3 squads of two mechs to pick off enemies as you advance. 8 v 8 would probably be the limit because than you have 2 4 man squads that can and will be able to take out any mech they see within seconds. 12 vs 12 is just too much and if one person runs into that entire group of 12 enemies, they are SCREWED.
"We use the whole bullet, that's 65% more bullet per bullet!"

#5 Qwet

Qwet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationmesa AZ

Posted April 20 2011 - 09:50 AM

on the trailer it does show what seems to be the beginning of a game with a team of 6 mechs

6vs6 is perfect and maybe, maybe 8vs8 because you will either a) have to a make larger packs for more total damage or B) smaller packs to cover more ground. though it remains to be seen how people will play in the game. will people lone wolf or actually employ squad tactics_ just from the gameplay trailer i saw a lot of lone wolfing.

though i would want it to always be available to play 6vs6 even if a larger or smaller map was being played. it should make you adjust your tactics from tight quarters to a lot of room to move around not increase or decrease players so the tactics will generally be the same.

#6 3leggedFreak

3leggedFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted April 20 2011 - 10:24 AM

[ZiiP]Naloac said:

Down to the size of the levels really.

I wouldn't want it to turn into a frantic "spray everything that moves without care" gameplay. Rather have it slightly more personal. 4v4 or whatever the levels allow.
Agreed. It all depends on the maps, and with an editor we could redesign the gameplay in eternity.

#7 ApocalypeX

ApocalypeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted April 20 2011 - 10:39 AM

A nice range of game types from 1v1 to 8v8 would be great.

#8 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 02:01 PM

ApocalypeX said:

A nice range of game types from 1v1 to 8v8 would be great.

I'm not sure if 1v1s would be all their cracked up to be in this game. They work in games like CoD, but I'm not so sure about it in Hawken. Not to say they shouldn't support it, but I would leave it in custom games, not in (possibly ranked) multiplayer matches. I'd leave at 2v2 minimum.

#9 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 02:14 PM

I'm confident Adhesive Games will find that sweet-spot. Just enough so each encounter with an opponent feels genuinely significant. Oh, and I'll need ample opportunity to isolate myself from my would-be killers as I flee like a sissy. :P

#10 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 02:35 PM

lavalamp1138 said:

I'm confident Adhesive Games will find that sweet-spot. Just enough so each encounter with an opponent feels genuinely significant. Oh, and I'll need ample opportunity to isolate myself from my would-be killers as I flee like a sissy. :P

Well, they do seem to be doing everything else right, so I can't see them going wrong with this. It is pretty much confirmed from the video that there are 2v2s and 4v4s. As with standard TDM. We'll see about the FFA. I think my greatest problem with large numbers of people in one game is simply the maps we've seen so far. They're just not suited for large scale mech battles, you'd be bumping into the rest of the people for half the match before anything really got started. If they release larger maps, then yes, I'm okay with more people so long as those maps are suited for more people.

#11 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 03:28 PM

Zero said:

I think my greatest problem with large numbers of people in one game is simply the maps we've seen so far. They're just not suited for large scale mech battles, you'd be bumping into the rest of the people for half the match before anything really got started. If they release larger maps, then yes, I'm okay with more people so long as those maps are suited for more people.
That's an excellent point. When gauging player mobility in these environments, we must also take into consideration the space that will be needed for the dash and jetpack mechanics. Even if it seems like 12 vs 12 could fit on the maps, we could run into potential headaches when players are bumping into each other during a rapid dodge maneuvor or while in flight.

#12 Pawken

Pawken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 03:39 PM

4vs4 i rekon is the perfect number in any game, anymore it gets hectic and anyless it gets too timey between kills. P.s this is based on a medium sized map which is always the best type of map imo.
Posted Image

#13 oddalucard

oddalucard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 03:44 PM

I would say 6v6 is a nice size that can be an intense battle while at the same time not overly system taxing.

#14 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 20 2011 - 04:10 PM

1vs1 games should definitely be an option.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#15 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 04:12 PM

The_Silencer said:

1vs1 games should definitely be an option.

As I said, I think they don't have their place in public matches, but if they are to be included I have no problem with custom 1v1 games. That being said, if there is a lobby/custom game system in place, then it will be quite easy to just start up a 1v1 with your friends.

#16 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 20 2011 - 04:17 PM

It's only that I do have.. for example, many very good memories on lots of cool duels in the SW JediKnight:Outcast2 game. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#17 KellAset

KellAset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted April 22 2011 - 10:40 AM

Mech battles with 64 players on the field would probably look glorious heh but I doubt I will see that here sadly  :roll: still for a mech game even 32 players in game would be ok, if maps will be of proper size that is.
It is just getting so boring to play multiplayer games with barely handful of ppl on small maps.

#18 Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 11:49 AM

I think people are suggesting small sizes because it makes your mech more important (in 32v32 your team could win without you even contributing) The more important your mech is, the more that tactics and team work matter.

#19 MisterWiddle

MisterWiddle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 12:06 PM

I'm definitely feeling a variety of large-scale versus small-scale battles..
I'd be content I guess with a 6v6/8v8 feel, but something inside me gets a little giddy when I think of the idea of 32v32 battles.. if you're into importance of your own mech just stick to the smaller scales!
Huge maps with a fairly dynamic environment housing the 32v32, even 16v16, would be soo nice to see.
Both game modes would definitely be played differently and it would only add to the game.

#20 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted April 22 2011 - 12:44 PM

They should keep it to 6v6 (or possibly even 8v8). Anything higher is just going to be too hectic with no room to move.
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users