HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Brawler and Rocketeer Turret mode should be switched around_

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 11:49 AM

Am i the only one that thinks these mechs have the wrong turrent mode assigned_

Currently, the brawler gets the regenerating turret and Rocketeer has the mobility turret. But think about it, shouldn't it be the other way around_

The Brawler is a CQC mech, and as such, it has to get close and personal. The game revolves around twich reflex and fast dodging. The brawler, a close quarter combatant needs to be able to dodge incoming projectiles. At that close range with your near null maneuverability you are unable to dodge EMPS, HE grenades, TOWs, SABOTS, the works. A small health regen will not help much against a Tow, followed by a pair of HE grenades.

Mobility Turret on the brawler makes a lot more sense, since close cuarter combat is all about mobility and dodging. DPS in this game is way too high for that slow regen to make an impact.

The Rocketeer on the other hand is designed for medium to long range combat. It couldn't care less about increased mobility. He's probably well outside the range of the HE, EMP and grenade launchers, and becomes a harder target for TOWs. Sabot aren't really that big of a deal, since you couldn't dodge them anyways, even without turret mode.

Regen turret on the Roceteer makes a lot more sense. Small armas fire like SMG and Assault rifle, or to an extent SA Hawkins and Slug rifles can no longer chip at its health from a distance with impunity. It actually enforces the use of turret mode for long range support, since it keeps the Rocketeer protected to all but the Sabot, and other high caliber, long range weapons.

No_

#2 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted November 10 2012 - 11:53 AM

You should throw this in the Closed Beta suggestion forums, because these are great suggestions. Brawler and Rocketeer do seem fairly confused at the moment. Giving a regenerating boost to a static rocketeer (which has the better long-range secondary, the Hellfire) would make plenty of sense.

Edited by Conquistador, November 10 2012 - 11:57 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted November 10 2012 - 12:16 PM

Buffing both abilities would also be appreciated.
Posted Image
*sigh*

#4 IceTonic

IceTonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 01:12 PM

I'd like to see the abilities switched and buffed. I'm pretty sure many Brawlers would appreciate the ability to boost forward while in Turret Mode. Being tanky while charging in on an enemy with a Flak in one hand, TOW in the other would be quite devastating. It would make them something to fear for once.

#5 TheAriDee

TheAriDee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 10 2012 - 01:15 PM

Simply agreed.

#6 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 03:36 PM

They need a buff, we all agree on that.

Still, i think the mechs would work better if the modes switched around

#7 Blakjoker

Blakjoker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 03:53 PM

I agree as well, and is it just me or does turret mode even work all that well. I mean its supposed to improve defense but I have yet to notice that. I may be using it wrong......It seems I would be better of without it. Increased mobility seems a more viable option for the less than mediocre defensive boost that ability gives you. Definitely needs a buff.

#8 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted November 10 2012 - 04:40 PM

I like it the way it is.

Posted Image

#9 Skylead

Skylead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSpace Colonies

Posted November 10 2012 - 07:41 PM

I think that swapping them would be better, but with how important mobility is they just keep getting shut down instantly by an EMP. More reworking is going to be required to make them viable.

#10 Thrilled

Thrilled

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 08:14 PM

I agree for sure...

When I play the brawler I never ever use the turret ability since it's more hurting then useful for me. So a swap and buff would do good indeed.

/T

#11 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:07 PM

The problem is they're utterly useless. I definitely don't seem to be taking reduced damage when using it, to the point I basically ignore it.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#12 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 10:20 PM

The problem with turret mode (on close quarter mechs at least) is that it goes against the defining trait of Hawken: Fast and furious combat with twitch dodging and some vertical capability. It's an ability that really doesn't even sound good on paper.

Edited by Hipnox, November 10 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#13 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 06:31 AM

Apparently turret mode gives a 20% decrease in recieved damage.

What is 20% of a single bullet from an AR_ AR does what, 10 damage per bullet_ (BTW I really don't know) so what, taking 2 less damage from each bullet_ Complete and total utter waste. You'd take much less damage overall by simply dashing now and then.

If it was more like 50% reduced damage then I can actually see it being used, but even then I'm not convinced.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#14 ForTheTrees

ForTheTrees

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 06:35 AM

i never use turret mode on my brawler. its stupid.

#15 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 10:00 AM

View PostForTheTrees, on November 11 2012 - 06:35 AM, said:

i never use turret mode on my brawler. its stupid.

it shouldn't be. that's the point

#16 Skylead

Skylead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSpace Colonies

Posted November 12 2012 - 07:40 AM

What if instead of turret mode the C class got something similar to the Heavy class from Borderbreak with a long range mortar strike on a long cooldown_ I think that could give the heavies a useful feeling ultimate and make them feel more useful in team situations (the cooldown/damage would need to be such that teams wouldn't be encouraged to just mass aoe fights with everyone running it)

Example at 0:49 in the video

Edited by Skylead, November 12 2012 - 07:47 AM.

#17 ConsterMonster

ConsterMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 07:58 AM

I play with my brother a lot and he plays as brawler and it works great. With him fortified and specced for defense, he can absorb a lot of damage while me and other teammates can shoot over him, and his repair is getting faster as he lvls up. While we can still be overwhelmed without support, 2-3 c-mechs and supporting b and a mechs is Ideal for holding a point.

#18 Spawny

Spawny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted November 12 2012 - 07:57 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 10 2012 - 09:07 PM, said:

The problem is they're utterly useless. I definitely don't seem to be taking reduced damage when using it, to the point I basically ignore it.

You are not noticing the reduced damage, as every single bullet fired is a hit. If you move around and dodge a bit, some bullets are bound to miss.

I agree turret mode is a bit underpowered, could use some fixing.

View PostConsterMonster, on November 12 2012 - 07:58 AM, said:

2-3 c-mechs and supporting b and a mechs is Ideal for holding a point.

True, but the C-mechs don't even have to be in turret mode. If they are, a few hellfire barages/TOW's and a sabot salvo will make short work of em. They can't dodge the incomming rockets and can't repair.

Edited by Spawny, November 12 2012 - 08:00 AM.

Alpha 2 B-Class Bruiser
Closed Beta 1 C-Class Brawler
Closed Beta 2 A-Class Berzerker
Closed Beta 3 A-Class Scout

#19 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 12 2012 - 09:02 AM

Well, after a dig in the files, the Mobility Turret is supposed to have 60% damage reduction, and the other two turret types are supposed to have 65%.

They definitely don't seem to.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#20 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 09:08 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 12 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Well, after a dig in the files, the Mobility Turret is supposed to have 60% damage reduction, and the other two turret types are supposed to have 65%.

They definitely don't seem to.

Well damn where did I hear that 20% thing..._ Oh well.

Agreed on last part, certainly doesn't seem like anywhere close to 50% let alone 60/65%
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users