HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Bot support_

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 3leggedFreak

3leggedFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted April 20 2011 - 03:37 AM

First of all; game look promising! Haven't seen a game that say "play me" for ages until this. Hope the devs have fun making it and create a game they want to play themselves, it usually ends up in greatness. Looks like it will have a good clean game play. I would be happy to see this on PC where I can kill my clan mates (and other clans oc), and if it comes with an editor so we can build our own maps I see a great future ahead! :]

A question: I read that there will be no SP campaign (and that's fine with me), but I hope it has bot support_ I live in an area with bad ping so it is nice to have something to kill on "bad-ping-days"..

#2 ApocalypeX

ApocalypeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted April 20 2011 - 04:12 AM

I doubt it because if there's no single player they wouldn't have programmed any AI. But if we are lucky they might throw in bots.

#3 3leggedFreak

3leggedFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted April 20 2011 - 05:07 AM

ApocalypeX said:

I doubt it because if there's no single player they wouldn't have programmed any AI.
They use UDK so I guess that should not be a problem, the AI is there already as I understand it: http://www.udk.com/features-ai.html

#4 Hot Rod

Hot Rod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 10:40 AM

Yes yes and yes! I would love to see bot support as well  :D I don't understand why more games don't do this.

#5 IV Lucidity

IV Lucidity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 11:57 AM

ApocalypeX said:

I doubt it because if there's no single player they wouldn't have programmed any AI. But if we are lucky they might throw in bots.
TES Christian says get back to Bnet, Apoc.

But yeah, about those bots. Considering that this is a multiplayer only game (_) bots are likely in my opinion. Surely the bronies over at Hawken understand that our internets aren't always at their strongest  :D
I come from The Flood.

#6 Joeingo

Joeingo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 03:20 PM

I wouldn't mind some sort of bots.  It would be nice to test out set-ups before using them online.  I would only want bots if they aren't to hard to program though, I'm trying to play this game as soon as possible haha.

#7 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hey, if Adhesive Games think they can handle it, more power to them. But I'll just keep my expectations to a minimum and support them in their endeavor to provide a solid multiplayer experience.

#8 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 08:14 AM

I would like to see Bots and a single player campaign. I know, the team is quite small and single player campaigns takes an insane amount of resources.

The game promise a lot. I think these guys really need funding. At least 10,000,000 for their project. I bet with all honesty that such project will be a great success. They proved it with what we have seen. Many sites already gave them full recognition and merits for their job. I think these guys deserve a chance in the big leagues.

#9 Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 01:09 PM

They made their own league.

#10 SPIGOT

SPIGOT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted April 24 2011 - 09:46 PM

I think that getting a quality multiplayer experience down is the main priority but bots would be nice but I doubt I would ever use them.
Posted Image

#11 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted April 24 2011 - 11:13 PM

If it is the case that bots are too difficult to implement, I would still enjoy a sandbox mode or something where I can test out a mech build and a map by myself.

Did they say something about a horde mode type of gameplay_
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#12 bubo

bubo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 08:14 PM

imvho if devs aren't including a single-player campaign, they will have to include bots.... a human-multiplayer only game is pretty limited imho even for a small entry fee

#13 MadMike

MadMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationWhere it snows and melts

Posted July 25 2012 - 04:40 PM

The game looks like an astounding multiplayer experience. Ive never seen weight being taken into account in a LONG time so i say forget the single player, what would you get out of a SP for this game anywhos_ I say release this bad boy with one vast online, add bots down the road if possible for some type of arena survival or maybe just auto-defenses for various areas.
MadMike | Steam: (ask me!) | Wii U: madmikev2 | 3DS: 3823-8695-8435
SuperDuoBros. channel: http://www.youtube.c...uoBros/featured | UYA Gamers: http://steamcommunit...roups/uyagamers

#14 Sovereign85

Sovereign85

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted July 27 2012 - 05:19 PM

I agree bots are nice, especially for new players coming in that need some practice, and want to learn what the game is about.  The online community isn't exactly the easiest to work with, so it would be nice to have a tutorial, along with a bot system to allow people to get their feet wet, or just to practice in general.  This will also give people an opportunity to check out different types of weapon configurations to get a feel of how they will work without having to join a game, and then possibly leaving immediately afterward if they aren't satisified with their setup.

#15 GREW

GREW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 27 2012 - 05:57 PM

I too would like to put my name down, being all for bots! Dunno about anyone else; but i have really shitty WiFi internet and lag constantly. Its not as painful where recent games, like Tribes Ascend, have included "bots" in a target practise mode giving me something to shoot while i bitch-out and curse my poopy internet.

Posted Image

#16 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted July 28 2012 - 08:51 AM

Bot training is mandatory.

sometimes I want to have my private moments with the game tweaking these bots with uncanny precision. Sometimes I want to go down being defeated with my abilities to the limit.

I'm not sure if Adhesive can support them. It requires a hell lot of programming making the bots map aware. I hope they do that in a near future after the release...

#17 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted July 28 2012 - 10:36 AM

Aether said:

If it is the case that bots are too difficult to implement...

As far as we know, the guys at AG do not plan to include any SP (Single Player) in Hawken. This does not necessarily mean that in the future they won't include any though.

As personal side note, I can tell ya that AI can be (to not say is..) a pain in the arse.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#18 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted July 28 2012 - 03:42 PM

As far as I am aware, a 'horde mode' has been confirmed.
I'm gonna assume that it will be players vs ai in this situation, so they are bots... just in weaker mechs or tanks/whatever.
If this is the case, I'm fairly sure that bots for regular online play wouldn't be too much of a chore to implement. But what do I know, eh_
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#19 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted July 28 2012 - 04:28 PM

Nitris and Silencer nailed it.

Making a bot to be map aware under more options and situations greater than a set of Unreal III weapons is harder than you think. Moreover when you have intricate levels. Programming a circuit may be easy. But writing complex if else nested processes can take months if not years if you are lucky.

Adhesive made already miracles. I would be a real cunt and a fucking troll if I pretend otherwise. They don't have the Bungie personnel to tackle such complex problem. Thanks lord someone lectured me about game design. What they are doing is really something beyond words. Give adhesive a budget of 30 million dollars and a personnel of 100 employees then we could talk about these businesses.

Of course I want bots but for some reason we have to see how they behave. I'm sure Epic can help them however that could end up on other compromises.....

#20 Thoragoros

Thoragoros

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 05:53 PM

Personally, I love Bots in games like these.   I really hope they have bots.

I love when it is me and a couple of friends fighting a swarm of bots, nothing is better.  It's also good for a 'break' away from the strains of regular multiplayer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users