HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Heat Cannon should probably generate some HEAT!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TheAriDee

TheAriDee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 10 2012 - 01:19 PM

How can a powerful weapon called a HEAT CANNON generate less heat than any other rifle_

Even though it clearly uses heat and gives off a big red trail.

I dunno, i think it says it all in the name.

#2 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 01:55 PM

HEAT mean High Explosive Anti-Tank.

http://en.wikipedia....osive_anti-tank

A direct quote from the wiki page, "Contrary to a widespread misconception perpetuated by the acronym, HEAT rounds do not depend in any way on thermal phenomena for their effectiveness. In particular, the shaped charge jets do not "melt their way" through armor, only reaching 500-600°C, and instead rely on extreme pressure to force a hole through the armor."

Edited by NotKjell, November 10 2012 - 01:56 PM.

Posted Image

High-level Hawken discussion and play wednesdays at 7:00 PST http://www.twitch.tv/thecockpit

#3 FenixStryk

FenixStryk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUS-East

Posted November 10 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostNotKjell, on November 10 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

HEAT mean High Explosive Anti-Tank. -- HEAT rounds do not depend in any way on thermal phenomena for their effectiveness."
While true, Hawken has already broken away form real life restrictions with the TOW Rocket (in real life: a wire-guided missile). Heat/GL is a very cold combination; Infiltrators don't even need to think about overheating because frankly, you can't.

I'm not sure if it needs to be nerfed, but... food for thought.

It was fun while it lasted.

#4 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 02:06 PM

View PostFenixStryk, on November 10 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

View PostNotKjell, on November 10 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

HEAT mean High Explosive Anti-Tank. -- HEAT rounds do not depend in any way on thermal phenomena for their effectiveness."
While true, Hawken has already broken away form real life restrictions with the TOW Rocket (in real life: a wire-guided missile). Heat/GL is a very cold combination; Infiltrators don't even need to think about overheating because frankly, you can't.

I'm not sure if it needs to be nerfed, but... food for thought.

That's actually been changed from CBE1. It used to be that while you were charging the HEAT cooling would kick in as normal. Cooling kicks in 1 second after you stop shooting (used to at least), cooling at ~15 heat per second. The Heat take 1 second to reload, 1 second to charge and generates 10 heat per shot. In CBE1 you would shoot, generate 10 heat, then after 1 second cooling kicks in and you start charging. Then after 1 second you've cooled of 15 heat (more than you generated) and are ready to fire the next shot.

I do not know the exact stats of how cooling functions during charging but I do know that it does not kick in the same way or as fast as it used to. You do not generate much heat compared to others, but there is definitely heat being generated faster than you cool.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I swear I saw some dev or person mention somewhere that the name TOW rocket bugs them too as it's not a TOW. I might be making that up, but I don't think so. I would like to see the name changed personally as it is confusing to anyone who knows what 'TOW' is supposed to mean.

Edited by NotKjell, November 10 2012 - 02:09 PM.

Posted Image

High-level Hawken discussion and play wednesdays at 7:00 PST http://www.twitch.tv/thecockpit

#5 TheAriDee

TheAriDee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 10 2012 - 02:52 PM

Well i don't need a wiki page to know that it's a pretty abusive weapon for something that doesn't create massive heating.

Edited by TheAriDee, November 10 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#6 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 10 2012 - 08:54 PM

Just because it's named HEAT Cannon doesn't mean it generates heat. As was said, it's a High-Explosive Anti-Tank round (which basically just means anti-armor).

It also generates the third-highest amount of heat use per weapon. The TOW Rocket, Grenade Launcher, Sabot Rifle, and Hellfire Missiles all use 12.5 heat, the Flak Cannon uses 11.1 per shot, and the HEAT Cannon uses 10. For that, it does 90 damage per shot.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#7 nonsiccus

nonsiccus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:55 PM

As an Infil player, I run in to a fair amount of heat problems. Not necessarily from a single 1v1 encounter, but if I'm chaining between fights, I am hard-pressed to keep my heat low enough to finish without some downtime. This is with predominantly charged shots - if I ever use uncharged HEAT shots, I'm due for an overheat rather quickly.

That being said, it doesn't overheat as quickly as assault cannon+GL, but I also don't have the sustained damage that an assault cannon brings (hitscan is easy, HEAT slightly less).
EOC Infiltrator

#hawkenscrim @ irc.quakenet.org - find ringers and scrims at the competitive level

http://youtube.com/vrts for gameplay footage

#8 Keekenox

Keekenox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationThe internetz

Posted November 10 2012 - 10:10 PM

I think it's just right
"A conversation is a dialogue, not a monologue. That's why there are so few good conversations: due to scarcity, two intelligent talkers seldom meet."
Wandering gun #45

#9 Urvanis

Urvanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, Hawaii

Posted November 10 2012 - 11:13 PM

I think it should at least generate more heat when charged.

Right now I can tear through 4 people non stop firing before I over heat.

on my zerker  with a heat reduction build, I can hardly get through 2 before having to back off.
Posted Image

#10 techno_destructo

techno_destructo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 12:04 AM

It actually generates quite a bit of heat if you don't charge and rapidly click. Charging limits the rate of fire. I feel like the inherent weapon mechanics balance pretty well.
Delete Yourself.

#11 BRASH

BRASH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted November 11 2012 - 02:35 AM

I don't have an issue with HEAT cannon. It does overheat if you fire it consecutively to get out more shots instead of 1 large, powerful shot. In return for having a powerful single-action gun that doesn't usually overheat, you run the risk of missing your shot.

#12 PiVoR

PiVoR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 11 2012 - 06:48 AM

DONT WORRY GUYS, I GOT THIS!

SHARPSHOOTER IS OP.

#13 MVRS

MVRS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:20 AM

Its an Acronym

#14 Orihalcon

Orihalcon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:29 AM

HEAT definitely does generate quite a bit of heat,

The thing is, its constantly being charged, dlaying the rate of fire quite a bit and decreasing heat generation (especially if the infiltrator is corner humping and avoiding damage).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users