HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

For the love of god...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 SystemiK

SystemiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 05:18 AM

You absolutely MUST show us who has an open mic (and coughing into it every 20 seconds) and allow us to mute them....our sanity rests upon this.  It's not a lot to ask.

That is all.

Edited by SystemiK, November 11 2012 - 05:21 AM.

There is no time like time wasted...

#2 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 05:26 AM

This, a million times this.

VOIP needs to be OFF by default.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#3 SystemiK

SystemiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 05:31 AM

Actually I disagree, Nitris.  VOIP should be enabled by default, otherwise a lot of people may never even be aware of it.  We just need an easy (and intuitive) way to mute the annoying things people do and we can have the best of both worlds.
There is no time like time wasted...

#4 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 05:35 AM

The mute function doesn't even appear to work. I was suffering from the same situation. I muted every player in the game and I still heard them sniffing and grunting while their children screamed in the background. In the end I just turned off voice completely until current speakers are highlighted

#5 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 05:39 AM

Thing is a lot of people are unaware of it even though it is on by default.

The fact is I don't want to have to trawl through menus to mute that heavily breathing pleb that doesn't even realise his mic is on.

If someone has something to say they will turn VOIP on in the options, because no doubt even if they didn't know the option existed, they will eventually hear someone else talking in a match and put 1 and 1 together to figure out there must be an option to turn it on somewhere.

Alright look, if you are adamant about having VOIP on by default, at least force it to be Push To Talk by default.

#6 Chig

Chig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationLublin, Poland

Posted November 11 2012 - 05:48 AM

I agree with Nitris. VOIP should be ON by default, but also there should be PTT ON by default too. I really don't wanto to hear any unnecessary background sounds when I don't want to. It just kills the immersion and makes a game less fun.

#7 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 05:53 AM

Burp-to-talk should be disabled, permanently; push-to-squalk should be the only available option.  It's the only considerate thing to do.

#8 Aelieth

Aelieth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationShawnee, Oklahoma or Nagoya, Japan

Posted November 11 2012 - 06:21 AM

View Postdefekt, on November 11 2012 - 05:53 AM, said:

Burp-to-talk should be disabled, permanently; push-to-squalk should be the only available option.  It's the only considerate thing to do.

This. I have my voice totally disabled because of the noise.
Posted Image
Seriously suicidal scrapheap operator

#9 Flirx

Flirx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 06:25 AM

There should be that option that lets you mute people that you want to mute. I do agree with that.
ЖFLIRXЖ

#10 ForTheTrees

ForTheTrees

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 06:29 AM

Yeah, you need to be able to mute people quickly and easily.

#11 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:08 AM

As long as you can identify Wheezy McSniffles as being the guy driving everyone on his team up the pole an easy mute might be enough.  Even so, I do worry about relying on mute to solve this problem because Wheezy McSniffles might be a good team player and may have something valuable to say beyond his throat phlegm juggling noises (and the background screaming of the McSniffles progeny).

I still think only offering push-to-squalk is the only catch-all solution to this.

Edited by defekt, November 11 2012 - 09:10 AM.

#12 Rainier

Rainier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 11 2012 - 10:52 AM

It... it's not push-to-talk by default anymore_!

OH LORD I'M SO SORRY YOU ALL HAD TO LISTEN TO MY EXCLAMATIONS-
Posted Image

#13 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted November 11 2012 - 04:30 PM

You know, there is something to be said for leaning how to ignore these things.  It's a valuable life skill to have, especially if you ever have children or work with the public in any form.  Just saying.  ;)

But yes, I'm also hoping and waiting for some kind of indication of who is talking, being able to mute/report players (verbal abuse.  Anyone who has ever been on XBox Live or seen videos of them knows there are 12 year olds out there who like trying to throw around various slurs at anyone who is a better player than they are), and making PPT the default.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#14 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 07:40 PM

View PostRainier, on November 11 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

Was it ever_ Push-to-talk has always been off by default.

I agree though, it should be on by default or forced.
Desert Fox

#15 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationOTG Headquarters

Posted November 11 2012 - 07:44 PM

/starts breathing heavy and burping to distract everyone

#16 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 07:47 PM

This. I forgot that I deleted all my configs to fix a patching error and that my PTT was no longer enabled.

Thankfully people told me somebody had an obnoxiously loud keyboard and I picked up that it must be me and I fixed it.

Edited by D20Face, November 11 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#17 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 03:52 AM

I had to listen to some dude eating his dinner in my ear last night.  Fortunately people like that are easy to identify -- "Whoever is eating, we all don't need to hear it.  Turn off your mic." -- but it's rarely that simple with others.

I also had a game where everyone was subjected to some guy's game sounds from his speakers; enormously distracting.  It was impossible to identify which player it was until I took it upon myself to stand next to every team mech and perform a specific sequence of actions and listen out for it on the echo.

#18 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 05:15 AM

View Postbacon_avenger, on November 11 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

You know, there is something to be said for leaning how to ignore these things.  It's a valuable life skill to have, especially if you ever have children or work with the public in any form.  Just saying.

Hah, I agree, however I have enough of that buzzy funny to put up with in life... I play games to relax and to get away from the real world damnit!

#19 CyanideFuse

CyanideFuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 12 2012 - 05:34 AM

I haven't really heard much from players.  The one instance involved somebody effing and jeffing about the team but that was it.

Edited by CyanideFuse, November 12 2012 - 05:34 AM.

#20 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 12 2012 - 06:04 AM

View Postbacon_avenger, on November 11 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

You know, there is something to be said for leaning how to ignore these things.  It's a valuable life skill to have, especially if you ever have children or work with the public in any form.  Just saying.  ;)
I get the humor, but I have to say this.
It's one thing to deal with it in public or at certain work environments, but it's another for this sort of thing to be happening in during a persons off hours, when they're trying to have fun. It's like talking on a cellphone in a movie theater. People are trying to enjoy themselves, and having to make the effort of not noticing the annoyance makes it less enjoyable.

On another note, an open mic is about 100 times more likely to make me ragequit than being repeatedly roflstomped by an obviously stacked team. And that's saying something, as I stuck through a major losing streak yesterday, even when it wrecked my k/d by .5 and god knows what it did to my w/l.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users