HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Final server locations & speed_

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 techno_destructo

techno_destructo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 03:35 PM

I've noticed most everyone generally has a high ping. I'm in the middle of the US and both east and west server locations leave a bit to be desired. Lowest I have noticed for myself has been around 90-100 ping on both coasts. The 32-slot servers are awesome at times and I would love to see more, though balance for siege 32-slot definitely feels awkward.

Are the server locations and speeds final_

I'd love for you to say, "Players may rent servers with customized play settings and we offer a location option for the central/mountain timezones."

Once you start getting up past 150 gameplay devolves into a bizarre teleportation dance, most notably suffered by players on 32-slot servers. I have the inclination this game would feel positively fantastic at a sub-50 ping.

I figure things will change, I'd just like some assurance. Thanks for the hard work!
Delete Yourself.

#2 mutton808

mutton808

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 03:59 PM

I live in Hawaii and usually get 60-100 ping to the west coast in most game, but I've noticed I usually ping around 180 on west servers. 180 is what I usually get to east coast. A clarification on where these servers are would be quite nice.

#3 Hotel6

Hotel6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationViệt Nam, HCMC.

Posted November 11 2012 - 08:45 PM

i got 300 ping here, but normally, for Mech Warrios, Blacklight, Tribes, Firefall...i have around 200-270 ping, wich is nice.
but still, it's Beta :P

#4 Urvanis

Urvanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, Hawaii

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:17 PM

View Postmutton808, on November 11 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

I live in Hawaii and usually get 60-100 ping to the west coast in most game, but I've noticed I usually ping around 180 on west servers. 180 is what I usually get to east coast. A clarification on where these servers are would be quite nice.

Yeah I'm in hawaii too, I get the same thing. but sometimes I'll join a server and my ping will be 120. I'm thinking they don't have their listed servers in the actual locations they're named. Sometimes you join west and are on an actually east server, other times it actually is a west server.
Posted Image

#5 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:32 PM

View Posttechno_destructo, on November 11 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

Are the server locations and speeds final_
I'm not a staff member, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. For three reasons:

1) This is only closed beta, so the server deployment is relatively conservative; those servers are up for testing, and the chances are that they might break if the devs make a change and don't catch a hidden bug before pushing out the change. The more servers that break, the more the technical support staff grit their teeth and chug Red Bull to keep everything from going down in flames.

2) Meteor Entertainment recently landed $18 million in funding to make Hawken even more awesome. I'm sure some of that will be spent on more regional server clusters, and the devs have said on the forum that the plan is to expand into more regions in the near future. This includes places outside North America. This goes hand-in-hand with the "it's still testing" bit above.

3) Eventually, the plan is to have dedicated servers made available for the community to host their own servers instead of having to rely on official servers only. This is, again, straight from the devs' mouths. Although, in this case, I got confirmation from TJ, lead engineer, in-game at the beginning of CBE2, so I don't have a forum post to quote.

All of this is subject to change, of course, and like I said, I am not an employee of Adhesive or Meteor, I'm just going off of what I have read/heard the devs say and what's logical for the situation.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#6 Pursang

Pursang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationTera

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:34 PM

I'm amused more then anything that 90-100 ping is considered "slow" now. Heh. :D
Posted Image

#7 techno_destructo

techno_destructo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostElix, on November 11 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

I'm not a staff member, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

I came to the same conclusions. Thanks for your additions! We're obviously stress-testing with the 32 slot servers. The purpose of this post was to fish for some official word on what is planned. ;)

View PostPursang, on November 11 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

I'm amused more then anything that 90-100 ping is considered "slow" now. Heh. :D

Ah, the modern age... C'est vrai. B)

Edited by techno_destructo, November 11 2012 - 11:48 PM.

Delete Yourself.

#8 Tezkat

Tezkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 03:14 AM

If you read the business related articles being published about Hawken, they're on record and fairly proud of the fact that they're the first MMO to use Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud for oursourcing their datacentres. So it should be fairly easy for them to set up shop wherever Amazon does. Currently, that list potentially includes US East (Virginia), US West (Oregon and California), UK (Ireland), Singapore, Tokyo, and Sao Paulo. On the other hand, depending on how that works out for them, they may never bother to set up their own private server farms, which would mean they'd only be setting up shop wherever Amazon does...

Edited by Tezkat, November 12 2012 - 03:14 AM.

Live Open Beta gameplay and commentary on twitch.tv/Tezkat...

More HAWKEN gameplay videos at Mech.TV.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users