HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Rambles & Opinions after 5 hours of straight play:

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Panssarikauha

Panssarikauha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted November 12 2012 - 12:02 PM

I just played 5 straight hours so I have to apologise for the bunching of these ideas, but I want to get the out before I forget more of them.
  • SMG/AR balance

• Assault power

• Terrain

• Turret mode
1. Currently, there is absolutely no reason to use the SMG over the Assault Rifle. The AR has absolutely no recoil and more damage. The tooltip suggests its inaccurate when fired continuously, but this is bollocks. In my eyes the easy way to solve it would be to give the AR actual recoil, so it needs to be bursted, or to have the Assault Rifle unchanged and add damage & more recoil to the SMG to make a more In-Yo-Face weapon.

2. The assaults power is partly in how it compares to the Berserker. Both have the same weapons available to them, but the +175 extra HP enables it to take one more TOW and still keep in fighting shape. Secondly, the weapons coolant is very effective in long, drawn out team battles where you can spam rockets & lead to your hearts content without the worry of heat. Also it has a much lower CD than the Weapon Boost the Sharpshooter & Berserker have to them so you dont have to consider it too much, but just pop it on near every skirmish. Its also very swift, so it doesnt suffer the same disadvantages as the C-class mechs do.

I know its supposed role as the newbie friendly workhorse of the bunch, but currently it seems to outperform most other mechs in the pool. How to address this_ I dont actually think buffing everything else would be the choise here, but to nerf the Assault in some aspects:
The speed. Make it slower, it feels basicly like a light at the moment.
Secondly, make the coolant cooldown longer. These two things should hinder the new players ability to grasp the game too much, but not allow it to dominate every other mech at the moment.

3. The world is rustic, a somewhat post-apocalyptic feel. My biggest complaint here is the excess amount of nooks & crannies, bumps & nicks that exist on all the maps. The biggest frustration for me at the moment is when im running around, or specifically in a firefight, and I try to boost / run my way through a corner or a rock or anything and I find myself unable to move forward, or sideways and in some cases, I cannot even back out the same way I came, forcing me to fly up and to the side.

Naturally, with vast maps in many levels some spots where there are more problems with getting stuck are bound to exist but these could be GREATLY reduced by removing the excess corners and protruding parts.

On a less important, side-note, make it an option to remove the lamp posts, trash cans, cars etc. in the graphic options, because afaik they do not actually effect gameplay, but the bouncing cars in firefights cause excess strain on my toaster.

4. A quick word on turret mode. Firstly, the rocketeer & brawler abilities should be changed around. The Brawler should be able to go into a mobile fort that charges at the enemy, and unleashes pain. People should also look in the possibilities of giving the turrets forward boost & faster de-turreting to make them more able to engage other, more mobile mechs. Now, anytime I find a turreted fool in my pimped Berserker, rolling the HE Charge & EMP. The lack of movement restricts them too much in comparison to the bonuses, when most of the higher damage weapons (Near-all explosives, SABOT) are skillshots that benefit crazy amounts with immobile targets.

Thank all of you who read the whole thing and I sincerely hope I'm not the only one with these thoughts.

Edited by Panssarikauha, November 12 2012 - 12:52 PM.

Alpha: [Check]
CB1:     [Check]       CB2:   [Check]   CB3:   [Check]
OB:       [In Progress]

Berserker:  [Locked & Loaded]

#2 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted November 12 2012 - 12:27 PM

Just want to say that there is no recoil from any weapon and I'd rather it stay that way. Recoil works in a game like counter strike, where it takes very few bullets to kill a player, so shooting constantly and being able to drag a line of death over players would be broken. In hawken, it takes much, much longer to kill a player with bullets; usually at least 5+ seconds of shooting. Tracing a moving/dodging target for 5 seconds is a nice display of skill- basically, being able to shoot for long periods of time is a good thing in a game with long time-to-kill. Having your reticle jumping around while trying to do this would be silly.

I do agree that the SMC is a little unfavorable compared to the AR... IMO, the SMC should have its heat generation slightly lowered. It's already a little bit cooler than the AR, but it's just not quite enough to be worth it. This would still emphasize the AR as a precision weapon and the SMC as "bullets go everywhere"

Edited by Immie, November 12 2012 - 12:32 PM.

Posted Image

#3 She

She

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationJersey, CI

Posted November 12 2012 - 12:31 PM

Can't be bothered to go into any of the topics other than #3 on which I completely agree. There are far too many random bumps on the ground that completely stop mech movement. For example just last game I noticed 2 - the ramp leading to the top of Alleys from the kind of outside courtyard area with the massive strange looking towers, and another in one of the small side alleyways with the blue colour palette. Running into them in a combat situation is a death sentence, and there's no reason they should exist.

#4 D3thpool

D3thpool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth

Posted November 12 2012 - 04:23 PM

Amen to Part 3.
Get annyoing fast.
Shouldnt be a problem to begin with.

About the assault ill agree with it aswell, jack-of-all trades with no downside at all afaikt.
"The World is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind"

H.P. Lovecraft

#5 LoganGoesPlaces

LoganGoesPlaces

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted November 12 2012 - 07:48 PM

View PostImmie, on November 12 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

Just want to say that there is no recoil from any weapon and I'd rather it stay that way.

You just want to keep spraying that vulcan.  :P

While I think a slight amount of recoil might make sense.  We could assume that a mech would have built in stabilization systems to reduce the movement of the barrel while firing.

#6 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 12 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostLoganGoesPlaces, on November 12 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

View PostImmie, on November 12 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

Just want to say that there is no recoil from any weapon and I'd rather it stay that way.

You just want to keep spraying that vulcan.  :P

While I think a slight amount of recoil might make sense.  We could assume that a mech would have built in stabilization systems to reduce the movement of the barrel while firing.

The EOC has recoil. Iirc, the sabot does, too.
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#7 LoganGoesPlaces

LoganGoesPlaces

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted November 12 2012 - 09:35 PM

I guess when I think recoil I imagine an aim reticle getting bigger/accuracy decreasing CS style.  I'm not saying there shouldn't be any recoil.  I'm just saying its a machine, not a human body.  Throw some kind of shock absorption system into that thing and it should be able to stay reasonably steady.

#8 Spawny

Spawny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted November 13 2012 - 03:42 AM

View PostLoganGoesPlaces, on November 12 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

I guess when I think recoil I imagine an aim reticle getting bigger/accuracy decreasing CS style.  I'm not saying there shouldn't be any recoil.  I'm just saying its a machine, not a human body.  Throw some kind of shock absorption system into that thing and it should be able to stay reasonably steady.

Think modern tanks, who can speed across rough terrain, full speed and still keep their gun 99% accurate.
Alpha 2 B-Class Bruiser
Closed Beta 1 C-Class Brawler
Closed Beta 2 A-Class Berzerker
Closed Beta 3 A-Class Scout

#9 Panssarikauha

Panssarikauha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted November 13 2012 - 08:25 AM

But their cannons are a single shot, even the coaxial / turret mounted MG's have trouble tracking smaller targets at that range. Some form or recoil / accuracy reduction on continued fire would probably be a good thing.
Alpha: [Check]
CB1:     [Check]       CB2:   [Check]   CB3:   [Check]
OB:       [In Progress]

Berserker:  [Locked & Loaded]

#10 Spawny

Spawny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted November 13 2012 - 09:03 AM

View PostPanssarikauha, on November 13 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

But their cannons are a single shot, even the coaxial / turret mounted MG's have trouble tracking smaller targets at that range. Some form or recoil / accuracy reduction on continued fire would probably be a good thing.

The tanks now has legs and can fly too. If they were able to build something like that, recoil absorbtion would be a breeze.
Alpha 2 B-Class Bruiser
Closed Beta 1 C-Class Brawler
Closed Beta 2 A-Class Berzerker
Closed Beta 3 A-Class Scout

#11 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:34 PM

+1 to point 3

#12 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:45 PM

Give SMG a faster rate of fire but larger bullet spread compared to the assault rifle. Alternatively, retain the rate of fire but buff the smg's damage per bullet and increase the weapon's spread. Either solution should work with regards to point 1, making the SMG hit harder but be less accurate at range.

Edited by Conquistador, November 13 2012 - 01:46 PM.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users