HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

visual chassis design

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 12 2012 - 03:04 PM

An aesthetic idea (for future mech chassis maybe_)

This is just a recurring thought I've had regarding the mech designs...

has anyone noticed that the cockpits don't really relate to the mech's body_
In the garage and staging, you can see pilots and engineers standing next to the mechs, and they're not that big (when compared to Battletech mechs, for instance) Upon analyzing the mech designs, I can't really find the cockpit that you see out of when you're playing.

In Mechwarrior, it's easy to figure out where the cockpit is, because the design of the cockpit is implemented into the chassis. These Hawken mechs look interesting, but there seems to be no sense to the engineering of these machines. (They're overly rugged to the point that they look thrown-together.)

I suspected maybe, as the player, you're seeing computer screens that are displaying external cameras, but I found this is not the case either, since dust gets on the glass during battle and it even cracks when you take a hit to the torso [plus the live-action trailer makes it pretty evident they're supposed to be fightercraft-style bubble cockpits.]

It would be nice to see some improvement in the chassis designs so that they look and feel more believable.

Edited by Ace4225, November 15 2012 - 02:42 PM.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#2 Manoloco

Manoloco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 03:41 PM

The size of the mech is such that the small windows on the model are actually big for a person, still the seams,separations and proportions dont match.

I imagined when i tried the Rocketeer that i would see a fairly tall and a little more stretch window than the other mechs (like what it looks like in the model), and be surrounded by 2 equally tall but wider monitor screens, even if the cockpit showed the same setup i mentioned but instead of monitors, glass, i would have looked according to the model.

I do think the berserker would basically fit any screen setup you can put inside a sphere, because of that its more believable, its just the seams correspond to a cockpit more like an A-10 thunderbolt, for it a little more spherical inside space with very little separation between glass/screens would look more according.

Edited by Manoloco, November 12 2012 - 03:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users