HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Visual/Numerical EU mech indicator gauge

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: What would you like to see in terms of EU amount detection on enemy mechs_ (20 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you like to see in terms of EU amount detection on enemy mechs_ (Multiple choice allowed)

1. Whenever you lock onto an enemy, you see the # or % of EU's they are carrying. (2 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

2. There is a visual bar upon enemy detection that reflects amount of EU carried. (4 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

3. There is no number or gauge, but the enemy mechs glow shiny green when they are full. The intensity depends on amount. (9 votes [26.47%])

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

4. Only allow detection of EU carried if it works itself into an optimization or internal. (8 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

5. Enemy mechs should not be able to have their EU known. Period. (8 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

6. Indifferent; don't care at all. (3 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 11:16 PM

What about being able to see either visually or numerically the amount of EU an ally OR enemy mech has when you have them in your detected box (for enemies at least)_ This would basically settle any disputes between allies over who should occupy the node and gather (the person closer to full would take priority and it would be obvious). When in a battle with more than one enemy, if it was known how much EU they had, you and your team could prioritize who to take down first (more strategy/coordination to stop them from taking a full load back).

Edit: Thanks to Inny for pointing out that you can already see the EU on ally mechs and where it is located. Also attached a poll because of all the good ideas.

Edited by Culex, November 14 2012 - 08:49 PM.

I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future...

I consume time... And I will consume you!
Posted Image

#2 BeefC4ke

BeefC4ke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 11:29 PM

I can see the good intent behind the suggestion and I would be fine with team members being able to see your EU.

I'm not so sure about the enemy being able to see it. I don't know how much of a difference it would actually make in pub servers though since if one team is that coordinated they're probably wining anyway and it doesn't matter.

In coordinated scrim/match play though it's still iffy. Players would probably have someone to defend the carrier around the EU station in a coordinated match so being able to see EU amounts, like you said, would only show which target to focus on. This could sort of be a boon or a curse depending on the players. Pretty much you could focus on the less dangerous player and get stomped.

I think the current system is probably best BUT being able to see enemy EU would allow the option of the attacking team to either decide to go for the carrier or to just focus on who's easier to kill or more of a threat.
/Merf-isms - What will he come up with next_

dirtnapgaming.com

#3 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:53 AM

I agree with the allies one, also a message saying...

(Player) Has delivered ### energy

would be cool also so i don't have to type it out myself :)

The enemies would be cool but I expect it to be a little bit too much knowledge to have.
It's like if you showed if they had grenades or a shield....to much info.

#4 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 02:33 AM

Use the TAB key. EU+ shows Energy they've collected, EU- shows EU delivered.
Additionally, you can see how much your team mates are currently carrying under their target boxes. It's subtle, but the information is already there.

Or you could always try, I dunno, communicating with your team so that 3 of them don't all go to deliver that last 30 EU and leave the AA undefended

#5 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostInny, on November 13 2012 - 02:33 AM, said:

Use the TAB key. EU+ shows Energy they've collected, EU- shows EU delivered.
Additionally, you can see how much your team mates are currently carrying under their target boxes. It's subtle, but the information is already there.

Or you could always try, I dunno, communicating with your team so that 3 of them don't all go to deliver that last 30 EU and leave the AA undefended

I'm not referring to the total eu collected and deposited (eu+ and eu-). That should've been obvious. No need for the ...... either. It just makes you look rather toolish.

As far as being able to already see it under your ally mechs, I, the posters above, as well as a slew of other people have not noticed this. I will take a really close look next time I'm on and playing siege (although don't know if currently playing on low settings for lack of optimization reasons hides more 'visual' info.

As far as communication reasons go, that's already something I do with voip and chatbox; so this doesn't apply to OP. Playing with pubs, even while communicating, doesn't mean they'll see it/hear it and I'm just trying to suggest it to be obvious who is nearing capacity so this would promote players to go mostly one at a time at a node.

I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future...

Posted Image

#6 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 10:46 AM

Also, knowing the amount of EU an ally has that passes by me to get to the deposit/airlifter would allow me to communicate to my team whether to go for the AA or grab another 100 (if that person doesn't communicate).

I agree, Beefc4ke and Necro, to some extent on whether knowing an enemy's EU (from lock-on detection only) would be in the best interest. I however do see it working well. @Necro, since EU is not going to influence a 1v1 battle such as what items you have (it just gives you knowledge of what EU they have), the only thing that it will change is who you're likely to prioritize, if it favors you.

And going back to Beefc4ke, if someone chooses to prioritize fighting players with full loads that are close to full health while letting their allies unload damage on them, that is a bad tactical decision. It matters more in a case where the full EU mech is low-health and running away, where you may choose to take a few hits from the mech in your vicinity (if your health can afford it) if it means finishing off the EU carrier. Tactics again.

In coordinated scrim matches, whether a game is close or not, a lot can matter on whether a final load of EU gets turned in vs. stolen. When both teams are down to 1-1 health bars remaining, every load turned in matters that much more. So if a teammate on VOIP died trying to stop someone with full EU capacity, they could still be effective to their team and communicate this as well as that person's positioning, and the dying person's teammates could then make an effort to cut him off at the pass and steal it (or have a sharpshooter watch the area they are going in to pick them off).

If you are the EU carrier, then you are more likely to be at risk, so I feel it is fair (basically like a bounty in a way). It allows more tactical gameplay and would add more depth to the already awesome siege mode.

Posted Image

#7 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 11:03 AM

tl;dr

Feel free to put those casual insults aside, logical conclusions can be made in regards to energy carriers.
If they run instead of fighting, chances are, they have a full load of energy and are not willing to risk it.

_           _Distance
|                |
    Allied
    Mech

|_            _|
      EU Carried (numerical

#8 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 12:46 PM

View PostInny, on November 13 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

tl;dr

Feel free to put those casual insults aside|

I am not one to start with casual insults. You have done that already with the condescending .... and the fact that you didn't read the beef of the posts at all, so you state assertions about "logical conclusions" which everyone is already aware of.

View PostInny, on November 13 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

_    _Distance
| |
Allied
Mech

|_ _|
  EU Carried (numerical

This helps. Thanks. (The quoted version looks distorted-check the original post). I'd maybe suggest then having the number reflect current/max (ex: 150/200), due to the optimizations and internals you can get to boost your capacity.

So this topic is now mostly about whether one should be able to detect EU for enemy mechs (explanations in my above posts).

Edited by Culex, November 13 2012 - 12:52 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:01 PM

I definitely support the idea of being able to see who is carrying EU and how much, including enemies. More aggressive ganking/raiding, less going AFK on resource points.

Posted Image

#10 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 02:03 PM

If its going to be implemented (seeing it on enemies) I would only want it to be a general idea of how much they have, maybe a subtle glow that gets brighter the more that they have. Knowing the exact amount is too much info for my taste.
Posted Image

#11 OverWolf

OverWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationMy mech, kicking back with fine wine.

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:04 PM

I'm liking the idea, but am gonna have to side with those that think that showing the exact amount of EU held by the energy is too much information.  I think that having it show allies with exact EU amount, while giving a rough estimate of an enemy's held EU would be suitable.

Similar to Zeshi's idea of having a glow surrounding enemies to give the player a general idea of how much EU they hold, I think one might also place a gauge (displayed on both allied and enemy units) in the place as specified by Inny that, for allies, displays the exact numeric amount below it and, for enemies, only displays the gauge without the numeric value, so you're forced to estimate.

_    _Distance
| |
Allied
Mech

|_ _|
  Gauge
  EU Carried

VS.

_    _Distance
| |
Enemy
Mech

|_ _|
  Gauge
  ___

Edited by OverWolf, November 14 2012 - 08:06 PM.

Posted Image
This is the Prelude to a New Revolution
Main Mech: Brawler; Secondary Mech: SharpShooter

#12 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 12:12 AM

Good input all around. Included a poll as well, so be sure to vote on some or just one.

The current EU amount listed on ally mechs is really difficult to note if you're not paying attention to it. It is rather subtle, and in tiny font. I like most of the ideas, but one concern is I feel that the glowing green would be too obvious and turn players into kryptonite target beacons; "Go after the shiny green dude everyone NAO!".

It takes more skill, attention, and communication to selectively target a large EU carrier if it were represented by a small number like the one listed for allies, imo.

Edited by Culex, November 15 2012 - 12:14 AM.

Posted Image

#13 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 15 2012 - 04:24 PM

Supported for seeing how much friendly mechs carry.

Against for seeing how much enemy mechs carry. (They will be ganged on.)
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#14 Phaaze

Phaaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Location123 Mulburry St. Whoville Ontario Canada

Posted November 15 2012 - 04:26 PM

Indifferent :D

#15 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 16 2012 - 07:40 AM

View PostImmie, on November 13 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

I definitely support the idea of being able to see who is carrying EU and how much, including enemies. More aggressive ganking/raiding, less going AFK on resource points.

What it said.
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#16 Aelieth

Aelieth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationShawnee, Oklahoma or Nagoya, Japan

Posted November 16 2012 - 02:15 PM

This is a good idea and believe an internal would be very helpful here! If I'm playing my berserker and someone else comes to an energy point - I leave and go hunting for someone to kill and suck up their energy. Like a little vampire mech!
Posted Image
Seriously suicidal scrapheap operator

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users