HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Changing sharpshooter to Class A will not fix the problem

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 NotAnExit

NotAnExit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted November 14 2012 - 04:53 AM

Sharpshooters definitely need the damage bonus (possibly more of one than already exists).  Unless the target is already wounded or dumb enough not to find cover, 7 out of 10 you are going to lose your kill.

I'm not saying snipers are broken, I'm saying as currently implemented they force games into sniper on sniper mode, and it bogs play to no end.

#22 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 01:42 PM

There is no problem with the SS class.  Thus, nothing to fix.

I have yet to see a match of all SS.  Infact, probably close to 80% of matches I've played have had 0 SS aside from me.  And in general, those SS have negative KDs.  Many times, I didn't even play SS, and there were no SS at all.

I've played vs SS in berserkers, assaults, and infs, and have had zero problems getting close to them and taking them out.  You just need to learn how to do it properly.  You also need to increase your situational awareness, so when an SS is sniping from afar at you while engaged with an enemy, you need to learn how to drag the battle to safer grounds.  Entirely possible as I've done it many times.

Edited by RedVan, November 15 2012 - 01:42 PM.

#23 3Jane

3Jane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 01:50 PM

People just find it annoying I feel because its so easy for a sniper to finish a player off if they see you/run across you.
Getting all your health from full though requires real ineptitude on your part/skill on the snipers part.

#24 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 16 2012 - 11:12 AM

SS is fine, and has been fine for ages
You get less burst than anyone using hellfires, TOW/FLAK or GL/HEAT, but you have the longest effective range ON said burst damage
Your DPS is one of the lowest in the game as well, and CQC fights revolve around your ability to control your fire and/or quickscope and CQC snipe
At best I could see a minor (read: like 5-10 damage) nerf on the Sabot
It's pretty much good where it is

Edited by Beemann, November 16 2012 - 11:13 AM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#25 BeefC4ke

BeefC4ke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 10:58 PM

View PostNotAnExit, on November 13 2012 - 03:33 AM, said:

The problem being:  Protracted sniper battles suck all the joy out of a game.

The solution appears to be to give sharpshooters exactly what the want:  Proof their excellence is based on skill and not class.

How to implement:

Remove:  Sniper "F" key damage bonus / special function button "scope" reticle.

Add:  "Sniper Mode" via "F" key, much like "bunkering" for Class C mechs.  Transitioning takes 1.5 seconds and the scope is always active in this mode / target lock: equivalent to hellfire missle lock.  Previous "F" key damage bonus applies to all Sabot rounds fired via target lock.

If this were implemented, almost no one would play sharpshooter. I know I wouldn't. There would be no point and it wouldn't be fun. No one like turret on the C class mechs for the same reasons.

As far as the damage boost goes, I agree. Let SS have the heat dump instead. I never use the damage boost because I can only really get one round of shots off with it with the exception of a few slugs. I'll more than likely miss one of the two sabot rounds I can get off in the 10 seconds.
/Merf-isms - What will he come up with next_

dirtnapgaming.com

#26 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted November 17 2012 - 07:39 PM

I agree with Beefc4ke about being against the "F" sniper mode with a transition time. The problems I see is that you pretty much need to scope to fight back with the sabot at mid-range, and a 1.5 second transition time would just mean you have no chance. A lot of the fun and challenge comes from picking the best times to rapid scope -> fire -> unscope. The 2nd part, with the target lock, I just can't even fathom the game leading my shots for me, I mean hellfire missiles are one thing, but this is another. It's just a step backwards.

I disagree though about giving the SS the heat dump ability called "cooldown". The only times I really run into heat problems are a) when I'm just missing all my shots from afar, which means I just need to focus more or b ) when I get stuck in CQC and I start to spam my abilities too frequently instead of shoot, dodge, and cover. This is coming from a slug, not hawkins perspective, however. The damage bonus works fine for me, and yeah, chances are I'll probably get in about 2-4 shots before it wears off, but because it stacks with damage bonuses already from the offensive tree (under the current system), I prefer it. The extra damage could mean the difference between a kill and one that is hanging by a thread and gets away.

Having that said, I'm thinking of another potential replacement. Actually, it'd be cool if they gave us choice in special abilities for our mechs (the weapons and class stats are already fixed). That way if I played more with the Hawkins, I could probably see myself using the heat dump more. But yeah, getting back to the potential replacement ability. Maybe something called Quick Reload: For the next X amount of seconds, cuts the reload (or cooldown) time by your weapons by X%. Just an example. It would work well with the slug/sabot setup, but the numbers would have to be balanced. Either the reload decrease percentage would be high and the amount of time it's active low, or vice-versa.

Edited by Culex, November 17 2012 - 07:40 PM.

I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future...

I consume time... And I will consume you!
Posted Image

#27 SmaCkexe

SmaCkexe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted November 17 2012 - 10:27 PM

This is arguably the most balanced class in the game dmg/heat/skill.   I have seen 1 person  dominate a Deathmatch server with this mech.  Ive seen dozens try.  It is a difficult Mech to use and requires an abundance of skill/accuracy.   Don't fix what isn't broken.
Posted Image

#28 145154151164145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 12:14 AM

DO NOT change ss.  It's good as is.  Don't know how its disadvantaged in CQC either, I find it pretty easy to fight everything except some skilled players in class A's.

#29 MK501

MK501

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted November 19 2012 - 01:59 AM

View Post145154151164145, on November 19 2012 - 12:14 AM, said:

DO NOT change ss.  It's good as is.  Don't know how its disadvantaged in CQC either, I find it pretty easy to fight everything except some skilled players in class A's.

I agree with this. Playing as sharpshooter never gave me the idea I was over- or underpowered, nor from a distance nor from close up. I think it just comes down to the way you approach your conflicts.
Posted Image

#30 Loveundermytail

Loveundermytail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 02:31 PM

I played a bit in the Alpha though not really that much to see anything with the mechs. I got back into the CB3 and purchased the mechs that sounded like they would be cool to use and go with my playstyle.

I chose the SharpShooter and after a few days of playing the only thing I can really say is that I don't see anyone playing SS EVER. I have not encountered one once in my matches. The only Mechs I do see are Beserkers and Rocketeers, with a scattering of variety between mechs with Infiltrators, Assaults, and Scouts.

I don't do very well with the SS though and I normally snipe in all the FPS games I play. I roll with the Hawkins and I'm level 7 now. So far going long range doesn't really do much. The players just run off and hide/repair. If I go after then and get in a CQC situation regardless of the mech I go up against it's gonna be a 50/50 chance with or with my Damage Ability. My Hawkins will usually overheat me and I will have to use both of my items to live.

Now I also bought an Infiltrator. I like playing it but I find it to easy to play. Aimming Heat Cannon Rounds is simple and the Grenade launcher is a godsend. I can usually kill an oppenent or throw them off guard and kil them with a combination of Cloak and Radar Scramblers.

I think the problem lies with the Sabot. Scoping is hard at the moment because of the the low damage it seems to do. Though up close which I don't quick scope because this isn't COD and I can't. I have to just run into them and fire my sabot once and back off. If the made the Sabot to be pretty accurate when noscoping it though maybe less than when you are scoped that would fix so much.

Though what I don't get is that some of the maps are really open while others are not. If my SS is supposed to be "Long Range Sniper Only" then why is the mech slow_ wouldn't it benefit it if it was fast so it could get away to snipe or shouldn't they give it some viability in CQC_ That being said the Hawkins is great but it heats up way to much so you have to use your sabot in CQC as well to take down any Mech. Which again is a gamble if it hits.

You can't think of Sniping in this like you can in most FPS games. Especially when most mechs can close the gap on you very easily. If you want to make us a Turret, give us armor and a big gun. If you want us to be fast and constantly changing our position then we need more speed (armor doesn't count anymore because CQC is pointless atm). Right now it is just some kind of in between with all the bad points and no good points.

Edited by Loveundermytail, November 24 2012 - 03:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users