HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Mechs Resetting on release_

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jixxer

Jixxer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMy house

Posted November 13 2012 - 07:26 AM

I am not sure what they plan to do, and I am not even sure if they know what they plan to do, but I am having a really hard time stomaching the fact that all my mechs might be reset when the game releases.   As Beta testors, I think and feel its only right we get to keep what we have worked hard on, and in an age where not everything in the beta worked.  Ya know, It's not exactly pleasurable beta testing a game that has many problems and issues and then having to come to the forums and report bugs and issues.  The LEAST you can do is let beta testors keep their mechs on release. It's the LEAST you can do.

Honestly, I don't know if I'll have the motivation to RE-level all my mechs on full release.  There isn't exactly much to the game, it's extremely repetitive and let's not even talk about weapon choice and diversity. I can count all the weapons in the game on 1 hand.  I can count all the maps on 1 hand.  There's no real strategy in the game at all, you hit the same buttons with every mech encounter..  I mean, this is one of those games that's really cool untill you hit level 20.   Each mech needs to have at least 6 different weapons to choose from. Not 2.  The only thing cool about hitting 20 is the ability to FINALLY use a different weapon. I like the vulcan, I think it's a nice reward for hitting 20, but after all the cry babies complain how "OP" it is, then it will be nerfed because companies can't think on their own, once it's nerfed there will be no excitement of enjoyement of hitting 20. I honestly don't even know what "OP" means or its concept.  If you saying the Vulcan is more powerfull than other weapons then you are correct, and that's the way it should be!  Someone who FINALLY hits level 20 should EARN THE RIGHT to use a weapon that's slightly more powerful than the others.  I used the Vulcan, it's not as powerful as everyone is saying, it does slightly more damage, and the damage also relies on WHICH SKILL POINTS YOUR USING. If you have not noticed, you can define your mech in terms of Attack, Defence, and Movement.  So 2 people using the Vulcan will not dish out the same damage.  I wish people would stop being so naive and just plain ignorant.

#2 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 13 2012 - 11:23 AM

No, this is Closed Beta. You are a tester, not a player. You were invited to test the game, and you were given special advantages (big piles of points) to buy mechs in order to test them. If you aren't satisfied with the game and find it a frustrating experience, come back when it's in Open Beta and these kinks have been worked out. (That being said, I am not telling you to leave or anything. This isn't malicious.)

You have also been playing on closed beta content, which is to say, a small portion of the actual content that Adhesive/Meteor will be deploying in Open Beta. There are more mechs than what you see here, they just have not yet been made available/are still being worked on. Please review the post linked in my signature to get an idea of exactly how this goes.

There is a certain level of "nerf X!" whining in any game, and you should trust the devs to make reasonable and informed decisions about what is best for their game. That means allowing a diverse range of opinions to be posted to the forums to give the devs feedback. This does not automatically mean that the whiniest crybaby* is going to be the one player the devs listen to.

*I do not have anyone in mind here; I'm speaking generically.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#3 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted November 13 2012 - 11:40 AM

Really, resetting players' mechs is the only reasonable option when it comes time to launch the open beta. I may be wrong, but I expect that one of the larger motivations for going into open beta is to attract new players. If these new players join a game only to get their butts handed to them by level 20 Brawlers toting Vulcans, a very large percentage of them are going to stop playing. Giving anybody this kind of edge at a public release can only be bad for business. The mechs will be reset, plain and simple, and if not then I will be very surprised.

As for your comments on the Vulcan itself, there's an entire debate going on about it in the Discussion forum, so I won't comment on that here. All I will say is that I disagree when you say that it is only "slightly" more powerful than the standard automatic-type weapons.

The skills you developed by getting to play and practice much earlier than the masses is enough of an edge over the competition without the devs handing you your fully-optimized mechs too. We bought them and leveled them up once. We can easily do it again.

#4 ApoC_101

ApoC_101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 13 2012 - 02:59 PM

you better believe they will all be reset. it's a closed beta testing session, nobody should expect to keep their stuff, any of it. welcome to game testing :wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by ApoC_101, November 13 2012 - 03:57 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 13 2012 - 03:03 PM

Hey, ApoC, be nice. :mellow:

See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.

#6 ApoC_101

ApoC_101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 13 2012 - 03:54 PM

hehe, fair enough. Maybe I should change my title to "Bad Guy ApoC" :D
Posted Image

#7 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 13 2012 - 04:14 PM

You can't set your own title. Mine was given to me.

#8 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 13 2012 - 04:45 PM

We're apparently keeping all progress in CBE. Those of us who were in Alphas already got one wipe (before CBE1) and I can assure you we'll get another before Open Beta on 12/12.

Edited by DarkPulse, November 13 2012 - 04:45 PM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users