HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Defensive internals imbalance.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sparkard

Sparkard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:24 PM

So, i think it wasn't discussed yet.

(Armor) - decrease all damage - 4%
(Reinforced Armor) - +50 armor
(Plated Armor) - explosives damage -6%
(Heat Resistant Armor) - bullet damage -6%.

You see where this is going_ Nope_

C-class - 850 Armor
Reducing damage by x% is like adding x% armor.
4% from 850 will be 34 and 6% = 51

(Armor) - +34 armor
(Reinforced Armor) - +50 armor
(Plated Armor) - +51 armor | only for explosives
(Heat Resistant Armor) - +51 armor | only for bullets

Reinforced armor OP/other def internals UP or am i wrong_
Also, i haven't worked out yet, how will it work with defensive optimisations maxed out but more armor = more ehp from %dmg reduction in optimisations so...

If %dmg reduction from internals is cumulative and not multiplicative with optimisations then getting %dmg reduction will be useless in turret mode.

Now lets look at A-Class.... yeah.

Quick edit://
Of cours, you get a small boost in repair times when using %dmg reduction. Did i mention A-Class mechs_ yeeeaah....
Quick edit2://
Whoops, i thought i was posting in discussion forums..
So lets say, suggestion: rebalanece the def internals :P (Sorry for my mistake)

Edited by Sparkard, November 13 2012 - 01:30 PM.

#2 Skylead

Skylead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSpace Colonies

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:43 PM

Your argument looks to be that the +50 armor is too strong, but I disagree. Initially this will seem the more attractive choice as you get more survivability per life with it on A and B frames, but taking playstyles and roles completely out of the equation the resists return much better in sustained fights. In order to take advantage of the +armor you have to fully repair each time, this means more downtime and less time in combat, whereas the %reduction will be great if you are in a long fight and strafing over repair sparks to keep health up.

Not only that, but sometime you really do know what kind of damage you tend to take more of. Do you think that the Rocketeer is going to take a ton of damage from long range tow users_ Or is he likely to need the %bullet reduction to counter sniper fire and close ranged strafers_ Is someone going to try and chain down a sniper that dodges behind cover or is that sniper more likely to take burst damage from an explosive weapon when they pop out_

Essentially %reduction is better for sustained firefights and +armor is better for protection against burst damage dealers. The higher % reductions are so you can theorycraft which type of damage you are most likely to sustain and specialize against it.

#3 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:54 PM

Devs have said they are going to be reworking internals and optimizations, so i wouldn't worry too much about it. But for the record Health should be a % (currently it benefits infiltrators like myself far too much)

Edited by Zeshi, November 13 2012 - 01:55 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 13 2012 - 02:00 PM

There've been several discussions on the balance of internals, actually. And Zeshi's got it. There will be an overhaul.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#5 Sparkard

Sparkard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 02:15 PM

@Skylead:
I'd like to disagree.
In sustained fights what you want is more buffer, you won't repair in between dashing and dodging, and C-class can't just burn away from the enemy, do a quick repair and quickly come back into the fight. On the other hand, A-class can go in and out freely but the amount of ehp they get from %reduction i silly (compared to +armor). In a CQC 1v1 (but no only) fights it's generally better to withstand a second (or more) of sustained damage and kill the enemy than try to hide and repair, when you can be easily killed anyway and even if you won't get killed, enemy will repair also making your effort pointless (or you may rage about how some sharpshooter ks'ed you :P ). Adding the fact that with +repair rate optimisation time needed to repair that +armor is actually completly neglectable and that A-Class being super squishy benefit much more from some actual buffer allowing them to get safely to some cosy repair spot and imho we can clearly see that +armor (not in general but in this particular case) is simply imba.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not against diversity. In fact, i'm a fan of extensive customisation. But the way it is now, puting %reduction on 2/3 of mechs is a wrong choice. I think that should be fixed.

edit://
@others:
Well, that would mean that i've made a redundant topic. What a shame, after making the "Known Issues" :P .
At least i've added my 5cents to that :/
(+1 dead kitten_ QQ)

Edited by Sparkard, November 13 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#6 Skylead

Skylead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSpace Colonies

Posted November 13 2012 - 05:10 PM

If you aren't backing out of fire in teamfights to repair you are doing your team a disservice, the other team gains if you Leeroy Jenkins all in every engagement. Better to back out and repair then give the other team a kill and wait for respawn, it takes a while to run back to a fight.

Also try the repair boosting defensive internal on your C class, you won't complain about repair times anymore

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users