HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Just curious.. how many of you guys have been using your mech's Ability during CB2_

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: How many of you guys have been using your mech's Ability during CB2_ (110 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you have been using your mech's Ability during CB2_

1. Yes, intensely. (54 votes [49.09%])

Percentage of vote: 49.09%

2. Most of the times. (20 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. Occasionally. (28 votes [25.45%])

Percentage of vote: 25.45%

4. WT... What Ability you say_ (8 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Raxaphan

Raxaphan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:34 AM

On RT I don't like to activate it, it's a nice umbrella. :lol:
On SS I usually forget about it. I'm so concentrated to snipe the enemy and forget that I have a 'F' button that is doing something.
I must admit I activated the ability a few times when shooting the enemy ship on siege.
Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#22 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:51 AM

This would make more sense and give the dev's better feedback if it was for each class as I think you'll get a pattern of they mostly get used minus the c-class's hit me! Hit me! HIT ME! ability :P

Posted Image

#23 Spawny

Spawny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:57 AM

Whenever I need to kill something quickly or when I'm in a big cluster fuzzy bunny.

Edited by Spawny, November 14 2012 - 12:58 AM.

Alpha 2 B-Class Bruiser
Closed Beta 1 C-Class Brawler
Closed Beta 2 A-Class Berzerker
Closed Beta 3 A-Class Scout

#24 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 05:05 AM

Brawler.  Never/only by accident.

#25 kormyen

kormyen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted November 14 2012 - 06:08 AM

Berzerker (weapon bonus): As often as possible (aka: as often as I remember). Ideally most fights* when I know I have them in range, or if I need an edge (2v1, low health, defending point, skilled opponent etc).

#26 LoganGoesPlaces

LoganGoesPlaces

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted November 14 2012 - 07:03 AM

I'm honestly pretty surprised by the number of infs not using camoflage... I use it constantly and it gets me tons of basically insta kills on the unaware (HEAT, H.E., Grenade combo).  Works great combined with radar scrambler.

As a C class, I never use the ability for reasons already listed.  I feel like the mode needs to negate way more damage than it currently does to balance out the complete lack of mobility.

#27 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted November 14 2012 - 07:25 AM

I played the brawler,

Make a guess
Posted Image
*sigh*

#28 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 14 2012 - 07:52 AM

Ditto. After a few uses for the lulz, really...

#29 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:42 AM

After many failed attempts at using the infiltrator's skill, I have more or less stopped using it. I can flank more than well enough without enemies noticing if I just run rather than boost.

I think it doesn't last anywhere near long enough to make it worth poping to relocate- That and if you get tagged with even one stray bullet while cloaked you get a big ol red box around you on the enemies HUD.

Then again, I never was any good at sneaky games.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#30 LoganGoesPlaces

LoganGoesPlaces

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted November 14 2012 - 10:30 AM

I think with a little practice and some upgrades the time for camo is just right.  In deathmatches I have gotten into the habit of as soon as I see a couple dots on the radar I drop a scrambler, camo, and boost directly towards the dots.  I usually get there and have time to spare to get into position before it runs out.  Having the speed upgrades definitely helps in this regard though.

#31 Entity

Entity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNiyabainen IV - Moon 1 - CNAP

Posted November 14 2012 - 10:48 AM

Brawler: I've used it once, mostly to see the transformation sequence, which is kinda neat. But that's just about all it has going for it, sadly.

I'd die for a brawler with the heat ignore or damage buff.

#32 Coot

Coot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted November 14 2012 - 11:39 AM

Mainly Infiltrator.

Found the cloak pretty useful getting out of 2v1 situations I know I couldn't win. Sometimes it worked sometimes not, but has gotten me out of certain scenarios alive.

I like how it works currently, but maybe it could use a little more utility. Perhaps a 20% damage boost for 3secs after coming out of cloak to add a bit more viability using the cloak offensively instead of it just being a hit-or-miss get away card.

#33 hestoned

hestoned

Dev Killer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:05 PM

man why all the c-class ability hate :( I mean yea in pubs its kinda pointless cause even on TDM it still feels like DM, but I would LOVE to see it in play with an organized team. Drop a shield on him and watch the magic.

Forgot to mention i play SS and i use its ability as much as i possibly can.

Edited by hestoned, November 14 2012 - 12:06 PM.

http://www.twitch.tv/hestoned
  my stream. Scout and Grenadier play

#34 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:52 PM

View Posthestoned, on November 14 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

man why all the c-class ability hate :( I mean yea in pubs its kinda pointless cause even on TDM it still feels like DM, but I would LOVE to see it in play with an organized team. Drop a shield on him and watch the magic.

Forgot to mention i play SS and i use its ability as much as i possibly can.
Because it's virtually worthless. It's supposed to have 60-65% damage reduction, but it definitely does not.

So all it does is make you an even slower and less mobile target. I should not be able to kill a turret-mode C-Class with my Vulcan before overheating if they have full armor, but I have. It basically means that the defense boost is broken.

Now, when they actually work, it'll be a very fearsome thing, especially for Siege. A couple of those could really stuff an EU collection point or the AA up and take some serious firepower to take out.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#35 Reis

Reis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:58 PM

Infiltrator, Berserker, and Sharpshooter yes, Brawler no.  I really dislike where the Class-C mech abilities are right now because they just aren't compatible with the type of gameplay Hawken offers.  Even when it comes to holding down areas or dealing with chokepoints, the option of being highly mobile will always be the better option over increased defense for lower mobility.  The ability to maneuver allows you to control the tempo of the fight, and because of that, I don't think I've ever seen a Class-C mech use its special to any degree of success.

Of course, the game is only in its testing phase so I haven't seen gameplay with tightly-organized teams. If I were to guess, a C mech is supposed to use its defensive mode to tank while the rest of the team supports it_ But in an offensive situation, turtle mode is too slow to initiate a fight or participate in the middle of it. All it can really contribute is its beefy armor and maybe some awkwardly-landed shots. Maybe it can stay back and support from midrange so that its movement isn't an issue, but that's a role the Sharpshooter fulfills more effectively. The C mech's ability just isn't useful here.

In a defensive situation, turtle mode is ineffective at close range and at defending from a distance. If an opponent is in close, it's really easy to juke a turtle. If an opponent is further away, the turtle can take damage, but its weapon velocities are simply too slow to be effective at that extreme of a range. Midrange alleviates both of this, but that requires the opponents to stay within that area.

And that's where I think the problem is. The Class-C mech abilities are just naturally ineffective in the scenarios and map areas currently in the game. Any competent player will know how to outmaneuver a turtled mech, and if that isn't possible, it's simply a matter of avoiding that particular area until you have enough support to out-DPS its defense.

I think, without the ability, C mechs already fulfill their role as beefy tanks that can initiate battles, so maybe it can just have a simple ability that buffs its defense for a duration, with the turtle mode only occurring when it heals. Or maybe their ability can be some sort of supportive one, like sending out a radar pulse that detects nearby enemies, or--and this is a silly idea-- turn into a powerful magnet for a split second, capable of disrupting missile paths into itself in order to take the hit for an ally. Dunno! But I do know that, akin to the Infiltrator's Camo ability, special abilities should not be too powerful, but should be core to the respective mech's role and gameplay.

I'll be a spoiled brat and say it should also be fun and interesting.

#36 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 14 2012 - 01:00 PM

View Posthestoned, on November 14 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

In organized play this would happen (Using me an Bee as example players):

Beemann: I say dear chap, observe that fellow utilizing his C-class mech's ability to bolster his defenses.
AJK: Yo dawg, that fuzzy bunny ain't going nowhere, let's pop a cap in his ass.
Beemann: I daresay! His companions have placed a shield upon his being. How shall we procede_
AJK: fuzzy bunny DA SHIELD! Spam explosive bro! That POS ain't lasting fo'eva anyway, ya dig_

And the C-class would die.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#37 hestoned

hestoned

Dev Killer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted November 14 2012 - 01:12 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 14 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

Beemann: I say dear chap, observe that fellow utilizing his C-class mech's ability to bolster his defenses.
Beemann: I daresay! His companions have placed a shield upon his being. How shall we procede_
AJK: fuzzy bunny DA SHIELD! Spam explosive bro! That POS ain't lasting fo'eva anyway, ya dig_

Beemann: What wizardry is this_ My health almost at 0_

*Sabot shot*

Beemann: By the heavens i have been bested!!

*slug slug slug*

AJK: RUN FOR COVER!!

C-class: Thinks for covering me dude!
hestoned: Thanks for the *puts on shades* decoy

#38 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 14 2012 - 01:13 PM

View Posthestoned, on November 14 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 14 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

Beemann: What wizardry is this_ My health almost at 0_

*Sabot shot*

Beemann: By the heavens i have been bested!!

*slug slug slug*

AJK: RUN FOR COVER!!

C-class: Thinks for covering me dude!
hestoned: Thanks for the *puts on shades* decoy
Rofl.
As if we're that easy to take out.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#39 hestoned

hestoned

Dev Killer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted November 14 2012 - 01:22 PM

I just don't think its fair to say C mech abilities are useless when clearly its potential hasn't even been scratched in a comp environment. My mind is spinning with ideas for it. Just wait for teams to form.

#40 CaliberMengsk

CaliberMengsk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationNear St. Louis

Posted November 14 2012 - 01:28 PM

As Assault, I use it all the time. All the time... as I kill lots and lots and lots of mech.

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/calibermengsk

Co-Owner of the BSB.

Join the Brotherhood.
Posted Image

http://bsb-gaming.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users