HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Ejectable "Heat Sink" C-Class Ability, DOT EOC, & Other Musings

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Poll: RE: The Ideas Proposed Below: (9 member(s) have cast votes)

When I use the C-Class Mechs:

1. I use Turret Mode often and proficiently, and have a positive K/D in Turret Mode (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. I use Turret Mode sparingly, but consistently have positive K/D in Turret Mode when I do. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. I sometimes use turret mode, but I usually end up dead before I can do much good for the team. (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. I don't use turret mode because it hinders me more than it helps. (8 votes [88.89%])

Percentage of vote: 88.89%

I would prefer alternate weapons be called:

1. Secondary (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. Special (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dullahan

Dullahan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted November 13 2012 - 11:11 PM

New C-Class ability: "Heat Sinks":  

The metal plating on top of the C-Class becomes heat sinks.  These give specific properties when attached, and can be ejected using 'F'. When you spawn you have them attached, and when you eject them, you do so permanently (until you respawn).  
  • When attached: -15% weapon heat generation, -20% movement speed, -5% damage received.
  • When ejected: Essentially reverse all above modifiers.  Weapons generate more heat and you take slightly more damage, but you're a fifth more mobile. When you respawn they're reattached.
  • Ejected Heat Sinks could behave like the various trucks and trash around maps that can be pushed around and get destroyed with a little damage.
  • Heat Sinks could be ejected either both up and backwards, or each separately off to it's respective side.

New Internals: Class Specific:

This is relatively self explanatory.  Depending on the class of mech and it's intended role on the battlefield, there could be specific buffs available for purchase for the Offensive, Defensive, and Functional internal slots. These could be weight class specific and/or weapon class specific (i.e. Berserker/Brawler/Sharpshooter/etc.). These would be balanced by being in the correct internal slot.  Rough examples:
  • Offensive: Infiltrator: 15% longer cloak duration.
  • Functional: C-Class: 90° snap turn on dodge cool-down (See below).
  • Offensive: Sharpshooter/sniper: Slightly shorter scope zoom for improved closer range usability.
  • Defensive: C-Class: 5% reduced damage when shot from behind (could have top/sides/behind versions with corresponding balanced damage reduction, which would be slightly more than the current universal damage reduction internals since these would be directional).
  • Defensive: B-Class: When shot at, deployed holograms start to hover vertically for a specified duration, adding to deception.
  • Could have weapon modifications, an example being an offensive internal that makes TOW Rockets very slightly curve towards wherever your cursor is pointed.

Improved Turret Mode: "Snap Turns":

Along the same lines as above, a tweak to make Turret Mode more usable. This could be added to all turret modes, some of them, or as a purchasable add-on with class specific internals described above.
  • Using 'A+Shift' and 'D+Shift' in turret mode would do a snap 90° turn in the indicated direction.
  • Could be on the same cool-down timers as the regular dodge mechanic, or take slightly longer to recharge.
  • Using the class specific internals described above, you could have options such as 90° turns on the regular dodge cool-down, or (something like) 45° turns on a third the dodge cool-down.

Weapon Change: DOT EOC Repeater:

From what I hear, the current EOC Repeater is relatively balanced, it just takes some getting used to.  This takes the idea of the multiple projectiles and modifies it.  The proposed EOC Repeater would be a damage-over-time weapon.
  • Greatly reduce initial burst/impact damage
  • Slightly improved projectile speed, maybe somewhere between the current EOC and heat cannon
  • Each projectile that hits your enemy would do a small amount of damage on impact, but would stick to your enemy, doing a small amount of damage every 2 seconds for 6 seconds (i.e. 3 times).  
  • Same firing mechanics as current EOC Repeater. 3 shot default, 6 shot charge.
  • Somewhat difficult to land all projectiles, but obviously damage over time would increase with each one you land. For balancing purposes, damage could decrease or increase for each consecutive projectile landed on the enemy.
  • Aesthetically, could be molten globules of metal, or something along those lines.

Naming Convention: Secondary Vs. Special:

From what I understand, they're the same thing. In the garage when you have a mech selected the weapon descriptions along the bottom show a "secondary" weapon.  However, in the optimizations or items/upgrades tabs, everything is named "special" weapon.
  • If they do in fact refer to different things, explanations as to what constitutes "special"
  • If they refer to the same thing, standardized naming of all instances to either "special" or "secondary".  
  • Pic for clarification:
Posted Image

So what do you think_ Have any critiques, additional ideas, or questions_ Let me know below!

Edited by Dullahan, November 13 2012 - 11:24 PM.

Spoiler

Burn to ash, then burn the ashes...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users