HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

My Personal Critique to the game.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 deathelm

deathelm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 04:58 PM

First off I like to say! KHANG LE is Great.

Okay So where Do I begin. Im just going to give visual critique from a artistic standpoint.

Dose anyone remember ever playing Starsiege Tribes at all_ Well I do, And this hawken games gameplay feels much like there gameplay. Get to deploy turrets, choose Armour, and then battle against one another, Did I mention jet packs too.

Well there are a couple of things Ive noticed and even with the maps themselves. They seem really stale from the previews Ive seen. Not to say that they are not Really meticulously detailed and rendered. What I mean is that, There is no intresting light patters. For instance in Unreal tournement they really caputed the essence of movement and atmospher. You can look at the ground and you can literally see the shadow of the clouds on the ground.

Now onto my second biggest Critique of all.
I think there can be alot to improve with the Explosions, smoke effects. I think I seen one explosion in the video where a mech got shot, blown up, but really only 3 pieces went flying. That there look pretty disappointing to me.. Usually when I see stuff exploding, I literally see bunch of pieces flying all over the place and electric magnetic shock too that you see in district 9. I would like to see more explosion but a mix of radiant electrical discharge, Escpecially with high electrical devices such as a mech, Even the sounds could use alot of work. I think right now the sounds are doing poorly. Very bland and boring. I think also the User interface on the mech is very blande and boring not alot is really proving itself to be highly technologically concintrated other than how the turret pops out, but really... You got to put in alot more effort to really capture the audience.

I think very much I feel a bit of killzone action type style present.

What I hate most about this is of course the smoke effects. I cant get over how repetitive and BLAH, these smoke effects look with what_ A single texutre replay_ Its just not attractive and unique. I find most games offensive for not characterising smoke effects and debris perfectly capture. Rest of the level detail is pretty great. But I say there needs still alot of work to be done.
I also find that adding cloth like material in a game is really nice.

And even from the video. Remember that your inside a cockpit and should you really be hearing THAT MUCH NOISE of the WINDS ECHOING AND STUFF.

I think the targetting hud looks extremly boring, Ive seen better huds and crosshairs in 1997 video games.

I find also that there just isnt enough mechanical noises in these mechs.

And really.. How long can you play a mech game without wanting to go play the actual Mechwarrior that Has mechs Much larger to play.

If you really want to make a dash for something Great Here Khang you really got to see the larger picture. And not just focus on how you want things. But to broaden the horizon and add different qwarks to the gameplay.

How long before a person gets bored melee eachother. At this point you should be concidering a FPS where your running around with a gun to shoot people.

And the Title HAWKEN, Dosnt sound to promising to consumers. Why Not. EAGLES

Hell a 4 year old can probably come up with a better name. Hawken title sounds great but just not catchy for my liking.

Anyway Im going to flap my wings and get the F out of here. I know after when a mod reads this im banned. So yea
Later Hawks

#2 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted April 25 2011 - 05:51 PM

I opened this topic thinking 'oh boy, i'm not going to agree with any of this'..

But you know, I think I agree with you about the explosions and sound effects.

Recently I played some Vanquish and when you shoot the robots there are sparks and electricity, big explosions, robot parts and dirt flying around along with realistic sound effects from the guns. When you go into ARS mode you can even see bullet trails and concussion waves from explosions.

Some HUD customization would be nice as well. I have modded games before just to get a dot crosshair and to change the location of the weapons information on the HUD.

I didn't notice anything wrong with the wind sound effects or the appearance of the smoke, but that may be due to my lacking of an artistic background. The sound effects of the mechs walking and the turret deployment could be better I now realize, but only after you pointed that out.
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#3 KingLordOfMaster

KingLordOfMaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 06:48 PM

Suddenly everyone forgot the big notations through the entire game clip of the *THIS IS NOT FINISHED VERSION*

Aka, let's judge stuff from an "artistic" PoV once something like a beta starts rolling out.

#4 Dem

Dem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 07:01 PM

I dont know what you're talking about, game looks great to me.  I watched it again after reading your post and the only thing I saw that even comes close to me agreeing with anything in your post is when the rockets explode.  They seem a little fluffy and not too detailed right now.

But other than that, everything looks fine to me.

The mech's die fine, they dont have to explode into a million friggin pieces to die.  Technically, the only thing that has to be killed is the pilot, so enough trauma to the cockpit could justify a death without actually blowing the mech up.  And even when they do blow up, some large chunks do blow off, trailing fire, while some smaller chunks go flying as well.  I dont see where you're coming from on that.  And since when does an explosion=an electric shock_  The brightness of the explosion would severely reduce the chances of seeing one in said explosion.  

The sounds are great, dont even go there.

The hud is fine, there's enough on it to be decorative and set the atmosphere, as well as telling you what you need to know, while leaving a wide FOV.  

I find most games offensive for not characterising smoke effects and debris perfectly capture
Nice grammar, but nonetheless, what do you expect from smoke_  It's smoke, not super intricate and awesomely detailed.

The maps look fine, and I'm pretty sure I've only seen the one map, which has plenty of shade and contrast in it.

"Remember that your inside a cockpit and should you really be hearing THAT MUCH NOISE of the WINDS ECHOING AND STUFF"
Inside a cockpit, hmm, perhaps there's some sort of magical clear barrier that blocks out the wind_  Wow, what a concept.

"How long can you play a mech game without wanting to go play the actual Mechwarrior that Has mechs Much larger to play"
Forever.

"How long before a person gets bored melee eachother. At this point you should be concidering a FPS where your running around with a gun to shoot people."
What_

"Why Not. EAGLES"
Why not be suuuuuper unoriginal_

"Hawken title sounds great but just not catchy for my liking."
You're all alone.

"I know after when a mod reads this im banned."
I dont think so.  I think they'd appreciate the critique if some of it made sense...

#5 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 07:23 PM

Tram said:

Suddenly everyone forgot the big notations through the entire game clip of the *THIS IS NOT FINISHED VERSION*
Absolutely. Not to mention the fact that Adhesive Games is an indie team running on a self-carried budget and has nowhere near the manpower or resources of a big-name studio. I find the footage they have released thus far to be nothing short of incredible.

#6 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 07:50 PM

I'm agreeing with the previous two, it's most certainly not finished. You cannot critique something that is not ready to critique. Hawken is an interesting name, better than most of the oh so original COD 23 (I'm being sarcastic) we've been seeing lately. Last time I checked this is a fast paced game, so if you're playing this chances are that your not playing Mechwarrior, it's a completely different game. HUD looks fine, what do you expect_ You're inside the cockpit of a mech, and the reticle is a million times better that most of the simple crosshairs and dots that every other game loves (except Halo of course).

#7 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 07:51 PM

Dem said:

"Why Not. EAGLES"
Why not be suuuuuper unoriginal_

"Hawken title sounds great but just not catchy for my liking."
You're all alone.

Eagles_

I'll stick with Hawken.  Or Catz as a close second ;)

#8 Buddhist2

Buddhist2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 08:33 PM

deathelm said:

stuff

It is nice that you are providing feedback, but I'm sure that the development team is well aware of the areas in which they need to improve things, at least from an artistic point of view. I think their artists are awesome.

Sadly, posts like this are one of the reasons development teams are required to put disclaimers (e.g., "This is beta/early game footage and does not necessarily represent the final product.") on videos that are, obviously, not a final product.

deathelm said:

And the Title HAWKEN, Dosnt sound to promising to consumers. Why Not. EAGLES

Hell a 4 year old can probably come up with a better name. Hawken title sounds great but just not catchy for my liking.

While you are entitled to your opinion, do not presume that it is more than just that. What you think does not reflect what everyone else thinks and you should not express it as if it does. There is absolutely no reason to fling petty insults at them either.

#9 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted April 25 2011 - 10:41 PM

I like having my dot crosshair.
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#10 3leggedFreak

3leggedFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted April 26 2011 - 12:58 AM

This thread made me think of this unrelated picture:

Posted Image

Failing to see the difference between a WIP and a final release can be annoying. I hope the devs can sort out the positive feedback from your post. :]

#11 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 05:24 AM

To the original poster.

If you want to troll, at least include a good trolling argument so we could laugh for a while. Trolling like that will not leave you anywhere.

:-/

#12 vesper1

vesper1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 02:07 PM

Disregarding the OP (I'm evil like that), I think all the creative power should rest within the devs. If they feel like calling their game A BUNCH OF CARROTS ON A STICK, and fill it with pink plastic ponies, let them do it - they won't be getting any of my attention or money, but it's _their_ work and _their_ decisions that shape it. It's a lot like in the music world, where people suddenly start hating bands they loved so much a year ago, cause they "didn't do what I expected them to". Well, dude, tough life, move on! ;D

This is of course a first for Hawken (and I do love the name!), so I'm really interested to see where Adhesive takes us on this maiden voyage :-)

I think it's still cool we're able to vent our hopes and disappointments here!
Recruiting to the Bad Luck XIII Hawken Clan - interested_ Send me a PM.
[almost there...] http://hawkenwiki.net/ (all hail Ashfire908)

#13 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 26 2011 - 02:12 PM

Hawken: I do love that game too.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#14 Provi

Provi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 05:26 PM

3leggedFreak said:

This thread made me think of...
That's hilarious! And totally relevant. ;)

#15 Qwet

Qwet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationmesa AZ

Posted April 26 2011 - 06:41 PM

*clears throat*
okay lets break down this break down based off 2 videos of a game that is still unfinished in order of what the OP stated.

first off I would like to say (not I like to say) your troll is blatantly obvious and filled with poor grammar.

now for the atmosphere. if your in a world filled with mega cities they have to be turning out so much smog that the atmosphere is on thick soup of lung cancer and gray, also just because unreal tournament has clouds that float over head and cast pretty little shadows for you doesn't mean every game there after that uses the unreal engine must have it in fact  I happen to live in an area where we can go months without the shadow of clouds.

Now the explosions. what real explosions do you see that send electric storms cascading out of its plume. Also, how does being a mech that's electrical equate to causing District Nine explosion effects_ should my computer mouse when blown up also release such a cloud i think not! the explosions in this game are just fine in one part the video they slow it down just to show off their shock waves and how it distorts the air in their explosions funny how you don't mention that.

concerning your comments on the sound gunfire is gunfire missile fire is missile fire, hydrolics are hydrolics the only reason we recognize sound is because we can associate repetitive sound waves to an object. sound is sound and your voice is probably as grating as your "critique" (I use this term loosely)

smoke effects: a costly and expensive program to make it look realistic i think they went in the right direction for an understaffed incomplete game.

One of the major senses used to perceive what is around us is sound it seems illogical to remove sound from a mech when opposing mechs will be creating just as much racket as you are. It wouldn't take much to put a few mics on the out side and speakers inside of a cockpit.

the Hud is great shows all of your mechs stats and gives a great FoV. and how are cross hairs important i don't think anyone has ever said "man the cross hairs in that game are so lame". They are cross hairs they only exist so i can point at stuff and then shoot it accurately.

For you statement on sounds I can hear the turning of the mech its leg and foot gears churning some good air booster noises sure it doesn't give a hum of a motor but really i drive enough to know what a motor sounds like. if its that upsetting smack your lips together when you play and make the vroom sounds your self.

And really.. How long can you play a mech game without wanting to go play the actual Mechwarrior that Has mechs Much larger to play.
I can in fact i haven't played the original mechwarrior and nor do i have an urge to go out and play it, even though I've racked a ridiculous time on chrome hounds.

If you really want to make a dash for something Great Here Khang you really got to see the larger picture. And not just focus on how you want things. But to broaden the horizon and add different qwarks to the gameplay.
okay this statement of yours isn't a total joke but seriously they seemed to have ironed out their view and how they want the game to work so your either going to like it or not. by the way its quirks not qwarks.

How long before a person gets bored melee eachother. At this point you should be concidering a FPS where your running around with a gun to shoot people.
i cant even figure out this grammatically challenged statement so it shall be ignored.

now the title Hawken is actually an interesting and good name choice Hawken is an old muzzle loading rile used in the 19th century and fired a hefty .54 caliber bullet.

so really your "critique" *nudge nudge wink wink* ends of in a derogatory statement and i hardly saw any praise in what is good an only saw what you want in a game. really this as stated before is a fail troll and really you cant critique anything based of of two 3min videos that show an incomplete game.

#16 Ganthir

Ganthir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSteel City

Posted May 02 2011 - 10:41 PM

I disagree with everything you posted, OP.  :|

The sound design is phenomenal, the smoke rising from the vents in the ground is atmospheric and gives a feeling to the level I saw that nothing else could really do to replace it. The Explosions were fantastic and explosions don't consist of THOUSANDS of pieces flying in every direction unless you're blowing up a glass jar from the inside out, lol. These mechs look like they're made out of huge pieces of armor plating and wire.. I just don't expect to see solid chunks of armor plating just blow up into shards as if it were a pane of glass.

And the name Hawken is awesome.

Posted Image .."Eagles"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users