HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

DONT CHANGE HELLFIRES

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 16 2012 - 02:20 PM

View PostFrenotx, on November 16 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

The strength of their homing, and the number of missile that even try to home, is not consistent.

Didn't realise. Never played the class so I'm not familiar with how its weapons function 100%. I got the general idea... Interesting though, didn't think anything was left to be random, everything else is so well considered. Making things random or chance just throws balance in my mind. Surprising to say the least.

Posted Image

#22 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 16 2012 - 02:30 PM

Agreed. That's why I commented that it felt out of place. I'd be perfectly ok with sacrificing some damage for more reliable performance.
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#23 thepeopleselbow

thepeopleselbow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 02:52 PM

They look cool, sound cool, do great damage if you catch someone in the open.

That said, I suck with them.  I can't get them to zip around corners well enough for me.  If someone dodges towards my-right to get behind cover, should I then aim 10-20 degrees left to fire the missiles so they have more area to curve around that cover/corner_  Firing them straight at where the enemy WAS does not seem to score much of a hit.

Again: really fun, but I was finding it difficult to be effective with them in cb2.  Far easier to sabot people in the face.

#24 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted November 16 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostDeuy, on November 16 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

View PostArnieF4440, on November 15 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

Well that's just confusing XD. DarkPulse has been looking through the game files and this is what he's got:

View PostDarkPulse, on November 10 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

Damage Values. Please note that for anything splash, the damage assumes a "perfect" splash - i.e; one where it basically detonated just inches from the center of the explosion without actually hitting them. Actual splash values will therefore likely be somewhat less in practice.

Spoiler

Those are Alpha values, the grenade launcher and TOW were both adjusted for beta (lower damage, faster fire rate).
Huh ... didn't realize, wasn't in alpha, but that does make sense ...
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#25 HandSlander

HandSlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationDystopian London

Posted November 17 2012 - 03:42 AM

Okay I have to say now I remember ONE thing that pissed me off about Hellfires. Its when you are sort of in partial cover and you fire and they all seem to clip the edge of the cover and explode in your face. I mean I know that you have to be careful with these things but it felt like they were clipping way too much - i.e. exploding in front of my eyes past the edge of the cover.

anyone else have this_

#26 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 17 2012 - 03:49 AM

View PostHandSlander, on November 17 2012 - 03:42 AM, said:

Okay I have to say now I remember ONE thing that pissed me off about Hellfires. Its when you are sort of in partial cover and you fire and they all seem to clip the edge of the cover and explode in your face. I mean I know that you have to be careful with these things but it felt like they were clipping way too much - i.e. exploding in front of my eyes past the edge of the cover.

anyone else have this_
Depending on the area, I've had this happen with pretty much every weapon
'nades that bounce back off of invisible walls
HEAT shots that collide on what otherwise looked like a gap
TOW rockets that clip the edge of a collision box instead of coasting on by as my messenger pigeon of death
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#27 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 17 2012 - 04:04 PM

It's not that they're bouncing off of invisible walls, it's that they're behind a wall. The weapons are attached to the left and right edges of the mech, not the center. If you're really close to a wall, then the weapons might not have LoS, even though your crosshair does.

Attached File  WeaponLoS.jpg   28.96K   27 downloads

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#28 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 17 2012 - 04:20 PM

Unfortunately, it's not always apparent when your weapon has LoS.
I've got pretty good spatial awareness, and even I fire into my cover every now and then.

Though there are some damn invisible walls out there that don't help.
I remember using the EOC from the top of the AA on Sahara, and the damn pucks would stick to thin air at about waist height where the edge of the platform was.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#29 HandSlander

HandSlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted November 17 2012 - 04:23 PM

Frenotx i see what you're saying and you make a good point but I have literally seen a hellfire missile clip an invisible wall on multiple occasions - so in that regard the hit boxes need tweaking. But if you have the hellfire missile hitbox too small then it will be harder to hit - especially when in melee combat where you aren't locking on. Conversely it will be easier to shoot round corners.

#30 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 17 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 17 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

Unfortunately, it's not always apparent when your weapon has LoS.
I've got pretty good spatial awareness, and even I fire into my cover every now and then.

Though there are some damn invisible walls out there that don't help.
I remember using the EOC from the top of the AA on Sahara, and the damn pucks would stick to thin air at about waist height where the edge of the platform was.

This is true- I ran into that a lot as well. The EOC is hilariously good at finding invisible walls. My point stands, though. I am acutely aware that the vast majority of the time my weapons exploded in my face, it was because I was failing to fully expose the proper side of my mech.

#31 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 17 2012 - 06:36 PM

View PostFrenotx, on November 17 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

It's not that they're bouncing off of invisible walls, it's that they're behind a wall. The weapons are attached to the left and right edges of the mech, not the center. If you're really close to a wall, then the weapons might not have LoS, even though your crosshair does.

Attachment WeaponLoS.jpg
No when I see that I chalk it up to bad play on my part
I'm talkin' shooting with the exposed gun and still getting splashed in the face
It happens a lot with those metal ball things on Sahara, and along the high rock wall near the AA
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#32 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted November 18 2012 - 03:23 AM

Hellfire you say_

Anyway, i think that the current Hellfire missiles are simply too random. Don't know how to fix it though.
Posted Image
*sigh*

#33 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 18 2012 - 03:35 AM

View PostJuodvarnis, on November 18 2012 - 03:23 AM, said:

Anyway, i think that the current Hellfire missiles are simply too random. Don't know how to fix it though.
After hearing this complaint half a dozen times, I think I'll try out the hellfires again (and more extensively) come CB3
They really should be completely consistent
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#34 HandSlander

HandSlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted November 18 2012 - 06:15 AM

Oh - one suggestion: Change the name Hellfire. Hellfire is real military hardware and being a big Apache fan I've seen a lot of videos online. The Hellfire isn't fired in salvos it is laser guided by a gunner or somebody painting a target. Also the hellfire gives off a massive explosion (just one) that would be bigger than the ones in game. Just putting on my mil-sim hat and being pedantic here.

#35 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 18 2012 - 04:34 PM

These hellfire missiles behave more like the longbow variant. They're the ones the modern, longbow-system-equip apache choppers use, in that they're fire-and-forget. Those missiles tend to fly high though, and strike the target from above (instead of flying straight to the target)

Now that I think of it, that could be a fun addition to the missiles. Instead of strictly making the fly high though, just make them follow the direction they're aimed a bit more.

As it stands, the missiles will fly a short distance in the direction they're aimed, the turn to try and fly straight to the target. It would be cool if the missiles instead attempted to draw a smooth arc from the direction you're aiming, to the target. Such a mechanic would give the player a lot more control over their weapon, raise the skill ceiling, and allow for some pretty badass trick shots.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users