HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Indefinite charging of weapons_

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Pre-Charged weapons_ (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Should indefinite charging of weapons (ie: HEAT) be permitted_

1. Yes - It's good strategy (21 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

2. No - Too easy for high-damage instastrikes (11 votes [30.56%])

Percentage of vote: 30.56%

3. Doesn't matter (4 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 07:34 PM

Both take time and are less cool.

#22 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 15 2012 - 07:45 PM

You wanted solutions, you got them. Don't nitpick on how cool they are. :P

There's no real easy way to cancel a charge. Mouse buttons aren't analog. There is no "release the button slowly to cancel charge" function, and pressing a button to cancel it is... well, basically what we'd already do.

You also don't have to keep boosting or healing - just triggering them should cancel.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#23 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 07:57 PM

My actual issue with them is that they both force your positioning in some way.

Healing makes you stop, so you have to accelerate again. Boosting makes you go forward and is loud.

Coolness is definitely a factor though, and my nitpicking is mostly for preference's sake. It'd be nice for them to add but there's no immediate need.

Edited by D20Face, November 15 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#24 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 15 2012 - 08:16 PM

Well, the more simple solution would be to not charge the shot until you think you need it. :)
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#25 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted November 15 2012 - 08:36 PM

I hate to bring the HALO series up in this conversation, but similar to how the plasma pistol functions, can we get a penalty on holding down the charge for weapons like the EOC Repeater and HEAT cannon_

For those of you who say you lose your HEAT charge when boosting forward, remember that this "disadvantage" does not apply to sidestrafing, so you get some weird situations watching people boost in odd sideways angles to hold onto a maximum charge. Which creates some hilarious visual situations but also some odd sidestrafing habits imbued in players who use either weapon.

I'd rather they allow you to hold a maximum charge when boosting forward (rather than issuing a reset to the counter), but building weapons heat whenever the charge is held down. This implementation would be similar to how the Halo plasma pistol allows you to hold a maximum charge for long periods of time but forces you to expend ammo to do so. With this mechanic in place, holding down the HEAT cannon and EOC Repeater at maximum charge too long will fry your weapon and cause an overheat, leading to some interesting tactical situations. This would also counterbalance people who do nothing but walk around or sidestrafe with a max charge everywhere. Plus it would make chasing down wounded foes a lot more intuitive, since you could build charge on the move (at the risk of overheating your weapons too much).

Edited by Conquistador, November 15 2012 - 08:38 PM.

Posted Image

#26 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted November 16 2012 - 12:08 AM

View PostConquistador, on November 15 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

I hate to bring the HALO series up in this conversation, but similar to how the plasma pistol functions, can we get a penalty on holding down the charge for weapons like the EOC Repeater and HEAT cannon_

For those of you who say you lose your HEAT charge when boosting forward, remember that this "disadvantage" does not apply to sidestrafing, so you get some weird situations watching people boost in odd sideways angles to hold onto a maximum charge. Which creates some hilarious visual situations but also some odd sidestrafing habits imbued in players who use either weapon.

I'd rather they allow you to hold a maximum charge when boosting forward (rather than issuing a reset to the counter), but building weapons heat whenever the charge is held down. This implementation would be similar to how the Halo plasma pistol allows you to hold a maximum charge for long periods of time but forces you to expend ammo to do so. With this mechanic in place, holding down the HEAT cannon and EOC Repeater at maximum charge too long will fry your weapon and cause an overheat, leading to some interesting tactical situations. This would also counterbalance people who do nothing but walk around or sidestrafe with a max charge everywhere. Plus it would make chasing down wounded foes a lot more intuitive, since you could build charge on the move (at the risk of overheating your weapons too much).

I like your idea, after a while though, my finger gets too tired and i just let it go, lol
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#27 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted November 16 2012 - 01:35 AM

Two clicks that have to be perfectly timed or one much easier drawn out click. Why the hell do you want to be able to stop your charge while stationary and why the hell are you ever standing stationary with a HEAT_ If you aren't needing to take a shot you better be boosting forward to find someone to take a shot at.

Edited by Deu, November 16 2012 - 01:36 AM.

Posted Image

#28 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 16 2012 - 12:47 PM

I like the idea of holding a charge creating heat, but charges not being lost during forward boosting.
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#29 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted November 16 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostFrenotx, on November 16 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

I like the idea of holding a charge creating heat, but charges not being lost during forward boosting.

Same, actually. Makes the weapon more interesting than just "hold LMB forever" without killing the charge mechanic.

And to keep people from complaining too much, maybe just have it start generating heat after a couple of seconds of charge holding instead of right away.

#30 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 17 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostDM30, on November 16 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

View PostFrenotx, on November 16 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

Same, actually. Makes the weapon more interesting than just "hold LMB forever" without killing the charge mechanic.

And to keep people from complaining too much, maybe just have it start generating heat after a couple of seconds of charge holding instead of right away.
Just make it only start generating heat after it's reached a full charge.
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users