HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Scripted Dynamic Geometry for MP maps

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 26 2011 - 01:57 PM

I've not checked if the game engine permits this. Would be cool to have bridges retracting, platforms lifting up and down, doors or walls changing their state during mp fights.

Dunno.. just an idea once more. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#2 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

Chief Nomadic Trapeze Artist

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 03:09 PM

This is possible, and in fact we already have some animated elements in certains maps that may or may not affect gameplay.

#3 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Smokies

Posted April 26 2011 - 03:23 PM

Interesting idea, it would allow you to shape the battlefield during play.

It's not quite the same thing, but they did show the turret and two other 'placeables' in the second vid. I'm interested to see how they get used in gameplay.

#4 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 06:13 PM

I am personally a fan of things like this. It changes the dynamic of the maps, it might give you an incentive and allow for you to play more to your style, or maybe play against your style and make you want to stop someone from initiating an event. Sort of like [some] of the destructible rocks in Starcraft 2.

#5 MadMike

MadMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationWhere it snows and melts

Posted July 29 2012 - 06:11 PM

I know these maps are huge but im not exactly sure how huge. If you guys put in environmental changes like bridges and maybe control points that bring up walls/shields to help the team controlling it, itd be increasingly impressive! those big areas keeping all those changes, awwwww yeeeeeeeaaah
MadMike | Steam: (ask me!) | Wii U: madmikev2 | 3DS: 3823-8695-8435
SuperDuoBros. channel: http://www.youtube.c...uoBros/featured | UYA Gamers: http://steamcommunit...roups/uyagamers

#6 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted September 01 2012 - 09:23 AM

A simple related idea would be hangars accessible via 2 (or more..) timed doors -> One door opens up whilst the other closes down... Or similar dynamics for any other kind of medium sized chamber or even artificial caves too.

*(Moving) cranes lifting containers with chains which could be destroyed by standard fire might add some more of cunning action down there. (Although this should probably go on the destructible environment's thread).

Subtle touches of scripted dynamic geometry here and there on the map would be something pretty interesting. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#7 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted September 03 2012 - 01:17 AM

I love dynamic geomerty in shooter games. Makes you have to think on your feet, and figure out how to take advantage of it, or avoid someone else using it against you.

I say the more the better.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users