HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

To respawn or not respawn...that is the question

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Smokies

Posted April 26 2011 - 02:27 PM

Most if not all the topics here have made the base assumption in gameplay that there would be a respawn mechanic of some sort. I would like to make the suggestion that, at least in objective modes, that NO respawn should be one used.

Most of my experience in mech games is with Chromehounds on 360. One of the unique aspects of that game was that, in war (ranked) battles, there was no respawning. This forced a more measured type of gameplay, at least initially, in matches. Knowing you had a limited health pool forced squads to develop and use both long-range and close-quarters tactics. The lone wolf approach was rarely rewarded, and usually resulted in quick death. Combat was just as intense, but you didn't commit until the situation forced it.

TDM and other kill-based gametypes are where respawning makes sense, to me. Having respawns in objective games usually leads to kill-farming and people more worried about thier k/d than completing the mission. Being forced to consider the consequences of how & when to take damage makes for a much more interesting game, IMO.

Discuss.

#2 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted April 26 2011 - 02:57 PM

So like Clan Arena then_ Elimination.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Rocket_Arena
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#3 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 03:11 PM

Similar, but CH war matches were unique in that there were three ways to win:

1) Kill all opponents
2) Destroy the opponents home base (and each side could chose from 2-4 different base prior to the game start)
3) Capture the most com towers (Combas).

Most squads concentrated on win-on-kills, but you always had to be cognizant of the other two. It was considered somewhat rude to base rush, especially if you were fighting a squad you knew, but you were stupid to leave your base wide open. And before Live Chat was introduced, you had to take/hold Coms to be able to chat in-squad.

In the end, knowing you had limited HP and no respawn resulted in games where tactics were just as important as the ability to hit your target.

#4 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted April 26 2011 - 03:45 PM

This could certainly be awesome if implemented right.

But they should still have a deathmatch-style mode as well  :lol:

#5 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 04:12 PM

Jack Dandy said:

This could certainly be awesome if implemented right.

But they should still have a deathmatch-style mode as well  :lol:

Agreed; both modes are fun. Sometimes its fun to play 'serious', sometimes you just wanna kill everything in sight, die, respawn and do it again
:twisted:

#6 vesper1

vesper1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 04:35 PM

I'll just quote World of Tanks again: no respawning, but the ability to jump out of a battle and move onto another one is probably what sold me on this game (apart from all the other cool bits).

The spectator mode should make me want to stay and watch (but I assume that's a standard nowadays_)

That doesn't mean Hawken should have the same, but I'm just putting this idea to the devs consideration ;-)
Recruiting to the Bad Luck XIII Hawken Clan - interested_ Send me a PM.
[almost there...] http://hawkenwiki.net/ (all hail Ashfire908)

#7 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 05:40 PM

At the end of the video you can clearly see a 15 second respawn timer. Just putting that out there.

#8 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 06:40 PM

Zero said:

At the end of the video you can clearly see a 15 second respawn timer. Just putting that out there.
Good eye ;).

#9 Qwet

Qwet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationmesa AZ

Posted April 26 2011 - 06:45 PM

Zero said:

well even so this type of game mode could still be added easily though i dont think it will hold the same tactical thinking as it did in chrome hounds where you had much larger environments to fight in. though we have yet to see all of the maps so i may later be forced to eat my words.

#10 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 08:22 PM

Regardless of game mode (TDM, CTF, CnH, anything with objectives, etc...), generally allowing or disallowing respawning is an option.  You can have the exact same game mode and either allow respawning or not.  Of course, you probably wont want no respawns on some game modes like ctf... that'd be boring.

This allows people to play all game modes either way they like it, and allows ladders/leagues to set their own rules, rather than having it be imposed by development.

#11 Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 09:25 PM

Oh man!
Red rover mode sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.

#12 Daishi

Daishi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted April 26 2011 - 10:57 PM

In my mind, respawning should be possible but less frequent than in CoD or other modern FPSs. For most casual gamers, they want to be playing the game instead of watching it. Counterstrike style no-respawn game modes could be included as an option for more-tactically minded players, but probably will be less popular than respawn-based game modes. As positioning your lumbering mech should be important, player lives will be more valuable and respawns should be less frequent.
Posted Image

#13 3leggedFreak

3leggedFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted April 27 2011 - 12:37 AM

I want to play a game not sit around poking my nose watching it, so I usually stay away from games that forces me to do that. A game can be fast and furious and still be tactical. Just because people are sneaking around hiding behind walls doesn't make a game more tactical, only boring imo. So, I want respawn, there could oc be a mode without it to make everyone happy but you wont see me in it.  :mrgreen:

#14 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 11:51 AM

3leggedFreak said:

I want to play a game not sit around poking my nose watching it, so I usually stay away from games that forces me to do that. A game can be fast and furious and still be tactical. Just because people are sneaking around hiding behind walls doesn't make a game more tactical, only boring imo. So, I want respawn, there could oc be a mode without it to make everyone happy but you wont see me in it.  :mrgreen:

I read thru a couple of the inteviews in the new sticky above, and it looks more like we both might get what we want  :D. The dev's have confirmed DM and TDM (Killkillkilldiespawnkillkillkill) and two other match types they're being quiet about (gotta keep 'em hangin'). Just for the record, I like both types.  :evil:

#15 KellAset

KellAset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted April 27 2011 - 03:45 PM

No respawn as option for host to switch on/off while creating game room is ok I guess.

#16 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 06:12 PM

wsjudd said:

In my mind, respawning should be possible but less frequent than in CoD or other modern FPSs. For most casual gamers, they want to be playing the game instead of watching it. Counterstrike style no-respawn game modes could be included as an option for more-tactically minded players, but probably will be less popular than respawn-based game modes. As positioning your lumbering mech should be important, player lives will be more valuable and respawns should be less frequent.

Yeah, I saw the 15 second respawn and was immediately was reminded of BF2142, however my gripe with that game was that you would spawn, get shot, and have to wait another 15 seconds to respawn. But with the damage-to-health ratio in Hawken being lower, it seems like it will be much better.

#17 ApocalypeX

ApocalypeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted April 27 2011 - 08:13 PM

The game could have respawn 3 settings.

Hardcore = No respawns

Normal = Respawns on a timer (15 seconds or what ever specified)

Instant = Instant respawns

#18 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 28 2011 - 11:39 AM

I do not have any bad memories from instant respawns in other games. Although it mostly would depend on map design/s.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#19 Ganthir

Ganthir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSteel City

Posted May 01 2011 - 06:27 AM

I was never really a fan of objective based game modes having no-respawning such as RainbowSixVegas / Counterstrike, because 80% of the time teams ignore the entire objective and just sit around corners waiting for somebody to come nearby so they can score an easy surprise kill, because they're too worried about dieing and having to sit through a match watching their team sit around worrying about dieing so nobody gets anything done. At least with limited respawns or just regular respawning with a time limit teams actually need to attempt to complete their mission goal rather than try to snipe everybody because they're scared of having to sit and watch.

(at least this is what I remember from playing no-respawn objective based game modes)
  :|

#20 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

Chief Nomadic Trapeze Artist

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted May 01 2011 - 12:14 PM

One thing that always turned me off to Counter-Strike was dieing at the start of a match and having to sit and wait for the entire round to play out.  That's frustrating and boring for newbies trying to approach a game.  Still, I also think it can be an exciting and suspenseful way to play, especially if you're already skilled or familiar with the maps and gameplay.  

As other people have already mentioned in the thread, I think the best solution is to have respawn settings available when hosting a match so players can choose the style they like.  That way beginners can have fun and build up their skill level to a point where the no-respawn matches become an enjoyable option.

In Hawken, the respawn settings may vary depending on the game mode you choose.  Also, after a death you can reselect a mech, set up weapon loadout, etc...  So even if there's a 15 second respawn there is very rarely a time when you are impatiently idle, waiting for the clock to tick down.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users