HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

To respawn or not respawn...that is the question

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 01 2011 - 12:27 PM

ChrisLalli said:

One thing that always turned me off to Counter-Strike was dieing at the start of a match and having to sit and wait for the entire round to play out.  That's frustrating and boring for newbies trying to approach a game.  Still, I also think it can be an exciting and suspenseful way to play, especially if you're already skilled or familiar with the maps and gameplay.  

As other people have already mentioned in the thread, I think the best solution is to have respawn settings available when hosting a match so players can choose the style they like.  That way beginners can have fun and build up their skill level to a point where the no-respawn matches become an enjoyable option.

In Hawken, the respawn settings may vary depending on the game mode you choose.  Also, after a death you can reselect a mech, set up weapon loadout, etc...  So even if there's a 15 second respawn there is very rarely a time when you are impatiently idle, waiting for the clock to tick down.

Amen to that, man. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#22 jlxgn

jlxgn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 01 2011 - 08:36 PM

Ok, how about a new idea. What if on the objective modes, you would have respawns, limited based on the quantity of players_ Like gears 3 if you catch my drift.

#23 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 02 2011 - 09:28 AM

Yeah, several respawning styles may fit better within distinct game modes. And that's my personal opinion once more.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#24 vesper1

vesper1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted May 15 2011 - 08:48 PM

jlxgn said:

Ok, how about a new idea. What if on the objective modes, you would have respawns, limited based on the quantity of players_ Like gears 3 if you catch my drift.

Haven't played Gears 3, but your idea made me think of possible respawn limits:

- resource points/goals (each respawn costs X points that your team gets for kills/objectives/etc.)
- garage size (your team gets X mechs at the beginning of the battle, once your team garage is empty = no more respawns)
- timer (it's possible to get a new mecha only in specified time periods - e.g. every 5 minutes OR only in the first 10 minutes of the match)
- queue (if your team has X players, the # of mecha in your team = X minus 1; the remaining player can spend the time on the tactical map helping coordinate the team or work on the loadout of his/hers mecha before getting spawned when someone on the team bites the bullet)
Recruiting to the Bad Luck XIII Hawken Clan - interested_ Send me a PM.
[almost there...] http://hawkenwiki.net/ (all hail Ashfire908)

#25 SixSeconds

SixSeconds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted June 14 2011 - 04:49 AM

The thing about Chromehounds-style permadeath is that it was designed for Chromehounds, and Chromehounds was designed to be slow. Not that that wasn't fun; I remember entire matches that were sniper duels at draw distance, and those were some of the most tense games I've ever played, but read that one more time: at draw distance. Unless the health went up dramatically for Hawken, I'd be mighty pissed at not being able to play out a round because of someone dialing mortars into the team spawn.

And being able to regenerate health kinda takes the oomph out of permadeath anyways. If you're dueling someone and they kill you, you're dead forever, and if they can find a safe place to regen, they're good as new. It worked with Chromehound's persistent damage, where you could have crippled the enemy mech before you exploded, thus having in-game consequences.

I really like the garage idea for teamplay; it lets you keep playing so that you can adjust your tactics without waiting for the next game, and there's a cost to the team overall, so cooperation is encouraged (more like lack of cooperation penalized).

The timer idea is cool too; maybe it could activate near the end of the round, so every game ends in sudden death. That's really only feasible for objective play, though, since there'd be no way to make up a point deficit.

#26 xXxTALONxXx

xXxTALONxXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted June 14 2011 - 02:50 PM

Honestly, if some other game has a great respawn then use that although ^ I like his,  try a few and see which ones people prefer most.

Its not like we can test it ourselves
Posted Image

Build your opponent a golden bridge to retreat across

#27 Salem

Salem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationOH

Posted June 23 2011 - 01:58 PM

Another idea that could be tried is having separate game modes, such as CTF, and CTF Hardcore, the hardcore version being a 1 life round where you have to plan and work together instead of bumrushing the flag...

#28 xXxTALONxXx

xXxTALONxXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted June 23 2011 - 03:11 PM

Mechassualt and Mechassualt 2, had a game mode called

Last Man Standing and Team Last Man Standing, Both with no respawn*
(they also had CTF, FFA, TeamD and few more w/respawn)

LMS was FFA and TLMS was an option that was ^ the 'hard core' one so to speak.

I know it was used during clan matches for various reasons.

However it took a long time to get a game up.

One solution might be, have it set for a best out of 3 or 5 games, that way you eliminate some the "lucky" wins and get several games in.
Posted Image

#29 Salem

Salem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationOH

Posted June 23 2011 - 03:26 PM

A round based gametype would definitely be appreciated. 5 vs 5 CTF,best 3 out of 5 rounds, no respawns would work as an example.

#30 Ilhan

Ilhan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted June 26 2011 - 10:29 AM

The respawn mechanic in Red Orchestra could be a solution.

In this kind of realistic FPS you have a pourcentage of reinforcement (respawn availables for your team).
The respawn is normal (5 to 10 seconds), so you don't get bored, and if you die too much, it affect your team probability of winning, since when you don't have more reinforcement your team lose.
Well, Red Orchestra is clearly an objective orientated FPS. You need to control different places or to eliminate all the enemies reinforcement to win the map.
Don't know if it can be applied to Hawken.

Of course an option for norespaw could be interesting, but as an option.

#31 xXxTALONxXx

xXxTALONxXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted June 26 2011 - 03:49 PM

mmm....

So, the option to:

Amount of Re-spawns

and

Time of Re-spawns

and

to Re-spawns at all

I like.

PLUS

The ability to give your Re-Spawn to your teammates.

Now, those are options I really like.

P.S. and the ability to win Re-Spawns in game

Like Mario 1-Ups
Posted Image

#32 Soulsbane96

Soulsbane96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 03:37 PM

Dahdah325 said:

Similar, but CH war matches were unique in that there were three ways to win:

1) Kill all opponents
2) Destroy the opponents home base (and each side could chose from 2-4 different base prior to the game start)
3) Capture the most com towers (Combas).

Most squads concentrated on win-on-kills, but you always had to be cognizant of the other two. It was considered somewhat rude to base rush, especially if you were fighting a squad you knew, but you were stupid to leave your base wide open. And before Live Chat was introduced, you had to take/hold Coms to be able to chat in-squad.

In the end, knowing you had limited HP and no respawn resulted in games where tactics were just as important as the ability to hit your target.

The idea of having to take and hold the Comm Towers to voice chat with eachother seems like a great idea to me and would provide more realism to the game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users