HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New Cockpit

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Female

Female

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 03:06 PM

So the cockpits in Hawken are large.. a lot of windows.

But I find it hard to believe that in this mech...

Posted Image

You have so much range to see.

Posted Image

I can't even see any windows on the mechs_ Where are they seeing out from... the mech cockpits should be readjusted and windows should be made more apparent.
Posted Image

#2 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 16 2012 - 03:11 PM

I addressed this in an older topic:

http://community.pla...chassis +design

My best conclusion is simply that the devs haven't finished all the interiors for individual mech torsos, as some of the alpha-build mechs DID have torsos matching the interior.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#3 OverWolf

OverWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationMy mech, kicking back with fine wine.

Posted November 16 2012 - 03:26 PM

View PostFemale, on November 16 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

I can't even see any windows on the mechs_ Where are they seeing out from... the mech cockpits should be readjusted and windows should be made more apparent.

I believe the answer to this question was that the "window" you see out of in the cockpit is actually a holographic projection(_) screen, as can be recognized by your mech's start-up sequence when the round begins on Siege mode.  

This is further enforced by the fact there blatantly AREN'T any windows on particular mechs.

Edited by OverWolf, November 16 2012 - 03:27 PM.

Posted Image
This is the Prelude to a New Revolution
Main Mech: Brawler; Secondary Mech: SharpShooter

#4 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 03:56 PM

View PostOverWolf, on November 16 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

I believe the answer to this question was that the "window" you see out of in the cockpit is actually a holographic projection(_) screen, as can be recognized by your mech's start-up sequence when the round begins on Siege mode.

There's a whole forum that ended up on this topic... our conclusions were that the mechs ARE supposed to have glass cockpits... as you can tell from the natural lighting that falls into the cockpit. If they were screens, the light inside the cockpit would be artificial and omnidirectional.

Here's the forum I'm referring to:
http://community.pla...m-grain-toggle/

Posted Image
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#5 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 03:56 PM

P.S. the live action trailer shows pilots inside glass cockits that look identical to the ones we see in-game.

Edited by Ace4225, November 16 2012 - 03:57 PM.

Posted Image
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#6 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted November 16 2012 - 07:01 PM

I don't care so long as I can purchase fuzzy dice or bobble heads for my cockpit dashboard!
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

#7 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 16 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostAce4225, on November 16 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

There's a whole forum that ended up on this topic... our conclusions were that the mechs ARE supposed to have glass cockpits... as you can tell from the natural lighting that falls into the cockpit. If they were screens, the light inside the cockpit would be artificial and omnidirectional.

Now try and reconcile glass cockpits with Hawken's mech designs...

#8 BeefC4ke

BeefC4ke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted November 16 2012 - 10:31 PM

If they were actual windows then there wouldn't be film grain. What you see in the cockpit is from a screen or projection.

What doesn't make sense is the way they do the cracked glass. Unless the images are being projected onto glass inside the cockpit.
/Merf-isms - What will he come up with next_

dirtnapgaming.com

#9 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted November 17 2012 - 09:46 AM

the film grain could be coming from your pilot's helmet [which is displaying the HUD].... it only flares up when you take damage.

The lighting of the cockpits is hard to argue with.... watch any gameplay vid and you can see shadows from outside stretching into the cockpit interiors. If they were just screens, that wouldn't happen.

Posted Image
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#10 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 17 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostAce4225, on November 17 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

the film grain could be coming from your pilot's helmet [which is displaying the HUD].... it only flares up when you take damage.

The lighting of the cockpits is hard to argue with.... watch any gameplay vid and you can see shadows from outside stretching into the cockpit interiors. If they were just screens, that wouldn't happen.
Unless in the future they have technology that allows screens to project images in a way that makes the light coming out of them act in a more realistic fashion.
Kind of like the idea of sci-fi chameleon stealth, where light is more or less channeled to make it as if the light is going through the object is hitting.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#11 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted November 17 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostAce4225, on November 17 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

Has anyone else thought that that's a really, really nice effect and was impressed with the devs for taking the time to add something like that_ I know I was.

On topic with the discussion, I agree with this argument, and the glass cracking one. Although I do also think that it would be nice if they matched those cockpit designs in the mech design itself. I've often wondered where the cockpit dome is supposed to be on my Berserker...

#12 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 17 2012 - 03:38 PM

There's no correlation between interior and exteriors of mechs and fail to see why they would need to be. If you make it so the cockpit actually match the mech design it would ruin so many things, not to mention the fact that you couldn't see anything at all minus a letter box size window on most mechs. If say you wanted to change the exterior looks of your mech with another chassis, should the cockpit change too_ So you'd be tied to a cockpit regardless of how you like it just so it matches up more_ If the exterior chassis are made to match the interior cockpit how do you justify a glass screen taking a tow to face and the pilot not dying_ Sure the light comes in, as Asian said that can be emulated with future tech if you REALLY need to justify a fantastic graphical detail. Can it not be simulated to keep a pilot immersed in their surroundings_ For me, I feel we should be able to customise the HUD and cockpit appearance just as much as the exterior so it suits our tastes and needs as much as possible. I've suggested it before and hoping it gets some serious consideration further down the line.

It's a game, not a simulator for crying out loud! It doesn't need to be 100% real!

Posted Image

#13 Female

Female

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted November 17 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostSubdivision, on November 17 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

It doesn't need to be 100% real!

Yes it does.
Posted Image

#14 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 17 2012 - 04:00 PM

View PostFemale, on November 17 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

Yes it does.

Really_ Thanks for the constructive feedback

Posted Image

#15 BeefC4ke

BeefC4ke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted November 17 2012 - 04:10 PM

or maybe the devs were just a little sloppy in cockpit design implementation.
/Merf-isms - What will he come up with next_

dirtnapgaming.com

#16 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 17 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostFemale, on November 17 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

Yes it does.
I find this to be at least somewhat relevant.

http://youtu.be/FRTsl1jCqq8_t=5m40s

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#17 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted November 18 2012 - 07:28 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 17 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

Kind of like the idea of sci-fi chameleon stealth, where light is more or less channeled to make it as if the light is going through the object is hitting.

hmmm... never thought about it that way before..

Posted Image
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#18 OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • Locationsomewhere beyond time and space (-5 GMT)

Posted November 19 2012 - 01:48 PM

What you are thinking of is meta materials that could account for the realistic lighting but they generally work in both directions, but there are lens less photo receptors that could account for the cracking, also it could be using some form of laser projection, and if you want to get fancy it could even be a direct retina display

because bow ties are cool

#19 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted November 19 2012 - 02:07 PM

I think it's more likely the developers simply chose a design that looked cool without worrying about aesthetics being mechanically correct.

I've thought about this

Posted Image

and it seems rather unlikely that a cockpit of any roundness would allow you to see the robot's arms that close together.

In order for this view to be anatomically correct, the robot's arms should be within a couple of meters to the right/left of the pilot. But they're definitely not, and they're often even mostly out of view from the front of the torso...

Posted Image

Edited by Ace4225, November 19 2012 - 02:11 PM.

Posted Image
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users