HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Scout v. Infiltrator (while we wait)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 CaliberMengsk

CaliberMengsk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationNear St. Louis

Posted November 20 2012 - 09:40 AM

The scout seems like infiltrator with an extra gas reserve (ability replenishes your gas so you can boost/dodge again). Depending on it's damage output, and if it takes damage easier or not, it will probably need a lot of tweaking. I see it being massively abused in early beta by those that are good at dodging, but have issues running out of gas.

For instance, I use assault, and I love using it, but I tend to use all my gas just before getting in battle. With the fuel reserve like that, I can use up ALL of my gas getting to a battle, and then use my reserve and totally destroy as dodging doesn't use a ton of gas really.

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/calibermengsk

Co-Owner of the BSB.

Join the Brotherhood.
Posted Image

http://bsb-gaming.com

#22 BlackCephie

BlackCephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationWashington D.C.

Posted November 20 2012 - 10:01 AM

Whaaaaat totally building a scout. sounds sick. I love my Inf, and dem nades iz fuzzy bunny, but I did miss the TOW and Flak. love me some toe.
Posted Image

#23 Coldrew

Coldrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted November 20 2012 - 10:15 AM

View PostFiremac, on November 20 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

So I'm wondering, is the scout a light mech_
The scout does appear to be a light mech.

To add a little to the discussion:
I was never drawn to the berserker or infiltrator last beta, but I think the Scout might be what pulls me away from my beloved Rocketeer.  What interests me most, is the application of being able to refuel at a whim.  A lot of the zerkers and infs I remember fighting, where fairly similar.  Both in their play-style, and while I can't be totally sure of it, their optimization too.
With an even greater focus on movement, I feel like the scout is going to incentivize taking the perks that affect your radar signature, and radar check range.  Independent from mech class, I'd posit that all mechs have a fairly similar effective range, varying based on the pilot's confidence, and the situation that they may be in.

"Do I have the fuel to take a long route around and take out that fleeing baddy caring a full load of fuel_"  "If I break off and take a side path, will I be able to catch that near death baddy when he thinks he's safe_"  "Can me and this friendly go around their side and set-up an ambush on the enemies reinforcing mechs_  Giving my teammates some much needed breathing room."

If you've got a massively larger radar check range you should in theory be able to relay tactically important information to the rest of your team in a manner which gives your guys enough time to set-up a meaningful counter measure.  You can do something similar with infs and the deployable radar item, but both are on a more limited scale.

Granted this all goes out the window in random matches where everyone runs around like headless chickens, or are still learning.  But providing us with these more specialized mechs might be a way of gently pushing the player base into taking up specialized roles, and in turn, counting on our teammates to play their role.

TL;DR Can't wait to see how these new mechs shake up the game.  Can't wait to see team play grow.  Can't wait for noon PST!
My other job is a wizard.
The high price of Pink and Black.

#24 CaliberMengsk

CaliberMengsk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationNear St. Louis

Posted November 20 2012 - 10:39 AM

1 hour 20 mins as of this post. :P

Also, I'm hoping the scout isn't over powered. I fear that it will be though based on what I remember of the specs. It should have lower health then a normal assault, but I don't see that happening as that would put it in the range of one shot kills.

Co-Owner of the BSB.

Join the Brotherhood.
Posted Image

#25 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 20 2012 - 10:50 AM

View PostCaliberMengsk, on November 20 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

1 hour 20 mins as of this post. :P

Also, I'm hoping the scout isn't over powered. I fear that it will be though based on what I remember of the specs. It should have lower health then a normal assault, but I don't see that happening as that would put it in the range of one shot kills.
It looks fairly balanced to me.
In close, the GL is better than the TOW, so that helps balance it out from a CQC standpoint, and it doesn't have much in the way of mid-long range options.
For most players, I see the Fuel Regen ability being a escape mechanism more than anything else.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#26 CaliberMengsk

CaliberMengsk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationNear St. Louis

Posted November 20 2012 - 10:52 AM

Possibly. We'll just have to see in game I suppose. T_T I'm stuck at work for another 4 hours, and then have to make dinner when I get home, so I'm a good 5-6 hours out from playing still.

Co-Owner of the BSB.

Join the Brotherhood.
Posted Image

#27 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 20 2012 - 10:55 AM

View PostCaliberMengsk, on November 20 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

Possibly. We'll just have to see in game I suppose. T_T I'm stuck at work for another 4 hours, and then have to make dinner when I get home, so I'm a good 5-6 hours out from playing still.
Well the TOW fires at a significantly slower rate than the GL, not to mention it travels slower at short ranges, meaning doing the heavy 2 weapon bursts that the Infil does isn't going to be as frequent or as easy.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#28 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 11:19 AM

scout will be the first mech i play in cb3. without a doubt

Posted Image

ive started streaming. the quality is fuzzy bunny but id appreciate any support
http://www.twitch.tv/budekai
also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

#29 FluxX

FluxX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 12:04 PM

View PostOllie, on November 20 2012 - 07:26 AM, said:

You can get into the garage in CB3 now, and there are new mech types available.

The Scout swaps out the "mini flak" for the primary, the "flak" for the alt primary, and TOW rockets as a secondary.  Special ability quickly replenishes fuel.

For those that were playing Infiltrators, is this enough to sway you from your previous choice_  I'm honestly torn, but don't want to dump buckets of time into the beta when I know I love Infil.
Scout owns(orz!). I'm stuck between the infls nades and the scouts heavy flack. However, the speed boost out does the invisibility any day. Except maybe nullifying turrets. But even then, evading them manually is more useful than being unable to shoot.

#30 lonely_leader

lonely_leader

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 02:40 PM

concerning the scout...i played it until they took it out(pissed me off), having said that i am super happy they re-implemented it. it did have lower health but i changed that lol. it had great burst with the flack(mini flack overheated too fast to be worth it). with the machine gun it had a pretty good steady output but did over heat faster which led me to run away till i cooled down. i can not count how many times that extra tank saved my life. while they run out of fuel you are gone baby gone. at first it did seem OP but then you have to account for the low health and having low health means you stop moving and you are toast(dat refuel), so it can be a bit hard to play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users