HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

keyboard/mouse toggles illegal_

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Spiderz

Spiderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationMarcoola Beach, QLD, AUS

Posted November 20 2012 - 09:39 AM

So i was just reminiscing about this time i killed a rival really good and remember i had to wait til after i repaired to press T to type a message to him

then i thought, how come i haven't found some keyboard software or some way of making "c" or repair a toggle, instead of a hold_

then i thought, wait a minute, what if the vulcan was a toggle, rather than a hold_ that might be a little more comfortable, maybe not, it'd be worth a try regardless_ i know repair needs it, i want to be able to team or server chat when i repair, i may as well be sending off orders while repairing, if i'm a mech from sci future surely i have the aptitude

whats the status of the rules of this_ its simply a way the keybinding works

thought i would ask this before i fell asleep ~ Spiderz

DAMN SON! WHERE'D YOU FIND THIS!_
i want keybinding that makes my mech play this tune with acouple twirling beacon lights.
click banner for clan info
Posted Image

#2 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted November 20 2012 - 09:55 AM

good question.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#3 Skylead

Skylead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSpace Colonies

Posted November 20 2012 - 10:07 AM

I don't see why it would be illegal to do your own toggle scripts. Especially since it might actually hinder your play. Toggling on the Vulcan is going to cause you to overheat faster than manual bursting and unless you write a spinup script you are going to have trouble keeping your barrel spinning. Ultimately while this might help you learn it is going to handicap you at higher levels of play so be aware of that.

#4 CaliberMengsk

CaliberMengsk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationNear St. Louis

Posted November 20 2012 - 10:50 AM

If you wrote a program externally to hold c down, when you started to type a message you'd get

ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

so an external source for holding the repair button would be practically impossible.... just pointing out that it'd have to be internal in the game. Personally I use voice chat unless I'm dead. Especially since I use mumble with my guild most the time. You can still use the in game chat with mumble also.

Same for vulcan, if you just made it repeat a left click 10 times a second, then you would be stuck clicking 10 times a second in menus and could cause problems.

Edited by CaliberMengsk, November 20 2012 - 10:51 AM.

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/calibermengsk

Co-Owner of the BSB.

Join the Brotherhood.
Posted Image

http://bsb-gaming.com

#5 GunsnButter

GunsnButter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationMS, USA

Posted November 20 2012 - 11:30 AM

Sigh. Yes, macros are against the TOS because they grant you tremendous advantages over other players. I guarantee I could program an AutoHotKey script for the vulcan in about 30 seconds that would keep it constantly revved, or a macro that rotates my mech 90 degrees left or right, boosts, and the finishes the 180 degree turn for an almost instant pirouette backstab with a GL / Heat / etc.

tl;dr: macros are against the TOS. /thread

#6 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 20 2012 - 11:45 AM

Just ask yourself if you would be proud showing off these macros in front of the Hawken dev team, knowing that if they thought it was unfair they'd ban you on the spot. Your moral compass should take care of the rest.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#7 Skylead

Skylead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSpace Colonies

Posted November 20 2012 - 11:47 AM

View PostGunsnButter, on November 20 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

Sigh. Yes, macros are against the TOS because they grant you tremendous advantages over other players. I guarantee I could program an AutoHotKey script for the vulcan in about 30 seconds that would keep it constantly revved, or a macro that rotates my mech 90 degrees left or right, boosts, and the finishes the 180 degree turn for an almost instant pirouette backstab with a GL / Heat / etc.

It's rather obvious that a vulcan spin script macro would be illegal, but I don't see a problem (as a dev) with someone making a toggle out of a press. That falls in a grey area between remapping keys and full scripting. As long as it doesn't give a competitive advantage I see no reason for the Hawken devs to be against it.

#8 GunsnButter

GunsnButter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationMS, USA

Posted November 20 2012 - 11:53 AM

Well... Let's think about this for a moment then. Toggling on the vulcan... leads to firing. Toggling on repairing... Leads to not doing anything else regardless, because attempting to type leads to the letter "c" filling your text box.

Granted, I think repair needs to be a toggle function enable-able in options. I usually just land up looking around and coordinating on TS anyways.

#9 Spiderz

Spiderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationMarcoola Beach, QLD, AUS

Posted November 20 2012 - 06:36 PM

View PostGunsnButter, on November 20 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

Granted, I think repair needs to be a toggle function enable-able in options. I usually just land up looking around and coordinating on TS anyways.

i lol'd when i realized it'd just be ccccccccccccccccc wow that was a big oversight, i was tired :rolleyes:  you're right tho, it does need to be a toggle in options, while i use TS to coordinate sometimes 1-2 team members wont be clan members, so i have to tell them what to do - or i want to be speaking to the enemy, really i think repair should be a toggle, thats probably the heart of this thread.

View PostSkylead, on November 20 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

It's rather obvious that a vulcan spin script macro would be illegal, but I don't see a problem (as a dev) with someone making a toggle out of a press. That falls in a grey area between remapping keys and full scripting. As long as it doesn't give a competitive advantage I see no reason for the Hawken devs to be against it.

Skylead is right, the thread is named "toggles" not "macros" yo, srsly.

View PostElix, on November 20 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

Just ask yourself if you would be proud showing off these macros in front of the Hawken dev team, knowing that if they thought it was unfair they'd ban you on the spot. Your moral compass should take care of the rest.

please keep your posts inviting

Edited by Spiderz, November 20 2012 - 06:36 PM.

DAMN SON! WHERE'D YOU FIND THIS!_
i want keybinding that makes my mech play this tune with acouple twirling beacon lights.
click banner for clan info
Posted Image

#10 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 20 2012 - 09:31 PM

What_ That wasn't threatening, was it_ I'm sure I could find ways to make Hawken do things that I would be ashamed of showing the devs (aside from just demonstrating it's possible), but I don't because I prefer to play the game properly.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#11 SystemiK

SystemiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 11:12 PM

View PostGunsnButter, on November 20 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

Sigh. Yes, macros are against the TOS because they grant you tremendous advantages over other players.

If this game has a TOS, I missed it (actually would not surprise me if I did).  Are you assuming this or is it actually in the game TOS_

Edited by SystemiK, November 20 2012 - 11:15 PM.

There is no time like time wasted...

#12 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted November 21 2012 - 12:54 AM

Most gaming mice have pretty good macro software with it. And for something like this, its not a biggie. Heck, I'm on the computer for the majority of the day, and when I wanna relax, I don't wanna get RSI, lol
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users