HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Thank you Devs for tackling "balance".

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 FluxX

FluxX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 12:52 PM

Just seen the internals which offered 100% stat boosts in the last open beta, now offer a draw back as well. This means there is some balance in play and mech choices. It also means a new player has a more balanced role even compared to a more advanced player. So while new players still have to gain levels, they are not necessarily "useless" to a team compared to someone with max internals and upgrades. As even with upgrades, some other stats are subjects to change. So players will have to use their skills to play better. With the more advanced mechs only affording different types of play, and not necessarily "better" types of play.

So a big thanks for actually tackling this balance issue. +1 for effort and good intentions on your Score Card Meteor and Hawken Dev Team!

#2 F15H3R

F15H3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted November 20 2012 - 01:32 PM

Agreed.  Pretty happy with the way things are turning out.
Posted Image
ASUS G73 Laptop on to a 36" HDTV | Intel i7 Q720 Quad-Core CPU | ATI Mobility HD5870 GPU | 8GB RAM

#3 Entity

Entity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNiyabainen IV - Moon 1 - CNAP

Posted November 20 2012 - 01:44 PM

I'm not entirely happy with the fact that the internals and optimizations barely making a difference now (if any at all).

Oh yay. I get 1% less heat (after dumping 3 points) or +0.9% armor. That's a whopping 6 hitpoints! Woo! Go me!

Yes I understand that these buffs can't be too strong because it'd make the gap between new players and maxed out ones way too big, etc etc.

However, too weak bonuses and you make me wonder why I should bother leveling up.
At least in CBE2 you could actually feel the difference of most of the optimizations, but now it seems they were nerfed into the ground.
What's the incentive to level up for maybe 1 to 2% better overall performance_ It's certainly making it less appealing to spend money on XP boosters

#4 GunsnButter

GunsnButter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationMS, USA

Posted November 20 2012 - 01:47 PM

Leveling up is something akin to League of Legends: The leveling up is not the actual experience. Reaching max level and having all of your options available is where the game really is. That's where it gets fun.

edit: When you start combining all of the optimizations together they can tip the balance of your fighting style in subtle ways. Learning how those work is one of the things that makes this game awesome.

Edited by GunsnButter, November 20 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#5 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted November 20 2012 - 01:57 PM

View PostEntity, on November 20 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

I'm not entirely happy with the fact that the internals and optimizations barely making a difference now (if any at all).

Oh yay. I get 1% less heat (after dumping 3 points) or +0.9% armor. That's a whopping 6 hitpoints! Woo! Go me!

Yes I understand that these buffs can't be too strong because it'd make the gap between new players and maxed out ones way too big, etc etc.

However, too weak bonuses and you make me wonder why I should bother leveling up.
At least in CBE2 you could actually feel the difference of most of the optimizations, but now it seems they were nerfed into the ground.
What's the incentive to level up for maybe 1 to 2% better overall performance_ It's certainly making it less appealing to spend money on XP boosters

This, exactly this.
Hell, right now i can't even spend my meteor credits if i wanted to.
Shop keeps telling me insufficient funds.
Not that it matters, because anything i'd buy would do as much harm as it would do good, with some items fully negating the use of others.
Not to mention the balance in the game is now utterly gone; i can try as much as i want, my sharpshooter cannot take down an Assault anymore, no matter how well i dodge and use my damage amp.
Only time i stand a chance is at extreme distance when camping.
And if i stand still too long I GET KICKED FROM THE GAME !

And let's not get started on the bands of Bruisers and Rocketeers STEAMROLLING THE GAME.

This does not bode well for this game for me, i've only played about 20 minutes and already i'm so few up with this current system that i'm contemplating asking for a refund on my Vanguard package, because this just isn't fun at all.

Edited by Dread_Lord_Pitr, November 20 2012 - 01:59 PM.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#6 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted November 20 2012 - 02:21 PM

I've only played 3 games so far, but comparing and contrasting with all games played since Alpha1 I can say that it feels FAR more balanced than previous iterations.

Thank you everyone @ Meteor and Adhesive for working to make the game balanced!
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

#7 FluxX

FluxX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 02:27 PM

I'd not checked the percentages on the stats. I'm happy if the team changes them back to the previous beta for the levels, but it shows they are thinking straight to add minuses too. :)

PS, no particular mech seems to be OP in the 2 hours I played. Snipers can own, bruisers can own (WOW, they fixed class c_ They are awesome now! :D ), scouts own too even though they are week. Oh, I'll give assault a go too, if it has the same cooldown powerup, it will still be a great mech even as a default option. :)

Edited by FluxX, November 20 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#8 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostFluxX, on November 20 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

I'd not checked the percentages on the stats. I'm happy if the team changes them back to the previous beta for the levels, but it shows they are thinking straight to add minuses too. :)

You call half the items fully (or almost fully) cancelling each other's perks out 'thinking straight' _
I'd call that a major design flaw.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_

#9 FenixStryk

FenixStryk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUS-East

Posted November 20 2012 - 02:32 PM

The CBE3 internal / optimization changes are... interesting. It wasn't immediately obvious what the best combination is this time around, and their overall effect doesn't seem as potent numbers-wise. I need to check the weapons numbers before I say anything beyond that, but the changes (or at the very least, the intention) seems to be an improvement.

It was fun while it lasted.

#10 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted November 20 2012 - 02:47 PM

View PostFenixStryk, on November 20 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

The CBE3 internal / optimization changes are... interesting. It wasn't immediately obvious what the best combination is this time around, and their overall effect doesn't seem as potent numbers-wise. I need to check the weapons numbers before I say anything beyond that, but the changes (or at the very least, the intention) seems to be an improvement.
There is a lot more study required to figure it out now, but I get the feeling that we will need to match our internal and optimizations with one another to see any substantial changes... E.G. : Buying the heatsinks and optimizing for OH too... Buying -6% damage and optimizing in defense, etc.
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

#11 Saunders

Saunders

Game Designer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 02:53 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.

We're redoing the way player progression, optimizations, and internals work.  In order to avoid throwing off the balance for closed beta we reduced the effectiveness of a number of items on a temporary basis.  This will be changed soon (and might even be changed during the closed beta, but I can't promise anything).

Please see this post regarding our player progression plans (about 1/2 way down):  http://community.pla...-kill-the-game/

In terms of weapons, you may notice balance numbers change over the course of the closed beta; the reason we're having these beta tests is for testing things like this, so thank you for your help with all this :)

If you think a class is over or underpowered, let us know!  We'll also be looking at a ton of data from these tests to help balance as well.  Our internal tests haven't shown any one loadout or mech to be overpowered or underpowered, but we'd love to know your thoughts.  Yes the mechs play slightly differently, so don't be afraid to try new things!

Thanks again!
David Saunders | Game Designer on HAWKEN @ Adhesive Games

#12 Turic

Turic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationRussia - Ukrane, Voronezh - Donetzk

Posted November 20 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on November 20 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

my sharpshooter cannot take down an Assault anymore, no matter how well i dodge and use my damage amp.

lol. really, very fun) this game is not for you.

and thank to devs. game is great.

Edited by Turic, November 20 2012 - 02:58 PM.

http://hawken.ru/ - Русский сайт об игре [RUssian site]
http://vk.com/hawken - сообщество вКонтакте [VKcom]

#13 Entity

Entity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNiyabainen IV - Moon 1 - CNAP

Posted November 20 2012 - 03:00 PM

View PostSaunders, on November 20 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

We're redoing the way player progression, optimizations, and internals work.  In order to avoid throwing off the balance for closed beta we reduced the effectiveness of a number of items on a temporary basis.

*powers down his guns*

Okay, I'll wait for the changes then. Thanks for the explanation.

#14 Decoy101x

Decoy101x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationPlainfield, Illinois

Posted November 20 2012 - 03:14 PM

View Postc0mad0r, on November 20 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

I've only played 3 games so far, but comparing and contrasting with all games played since Alpha1 I can say that it feels FAR more balanced than previous iterations.

Thank you everyone @ Meteor and Adhesive for working to make the game balanced!

this
Crackin' eggs like we crack smoke. Smoke crack_ No! That's bad!

Posted Image

#15 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostTuric, on November 20 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on November 20 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

my sharpshooter cannot take down an Assault anymore, no matter how well i dodge and use my damage amp.

lol. really, very fun) this game is not for you.

Quote from http://community.pla...lug-rifle-nerf/ :

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on November 20 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

I could take out an Assault with my Sharpshooter before, even with no upgrades bought and my skill tree unused.
As of my last match i got taken out 5 times by an Assault at mid range, even with my damage amp on i couldn't take them down, even though i was at full health and the Assaults were not.

So much for the game not being for me :ph34r:

Edited by Dread_Lord_Pitr, November 20 2012 - 03:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users