HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

UI readability and design issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Entity

Entity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNiyabainen IV - Moon 1 - CNAP

Posted November 20 2012 - 04:06 PM

Guys, this is a major issue. I've seen some feedback on this already, but nothing has been done since, even though it seems like it wouldn't take an inordinate amount of time to fix.

What I'm talking about_ The readability and visibility of UI elements, and the design in general.

A few of the problems are clearly shown in this screenshot (the jpeg compression made some things worse, but it doesn't change the points)

Besides the problems noted in the picture, there's also these issues:

- Scrollbars. These things look bad. There's just a grey mass of stuff. It's not even immediately obvious that it's a scrollbar, never mind being able to eyeball that there's more content in the scroll (the bar is hard to see, it's not obvious what the clickable part is, etc. There's so much wrong with the scroll widget design that I could write a book about it :))

- It is not clear enough that you already own an item. I would recommend adding "Owned" where the price is normally listed.

- I do not like having to mouseover tiny little bars to see basic stats like armor, speed, energy. These are pretty important. The bars are good for eyeballing relative strenghts/weaknesses sure, but when I'm considering buying a mech, having to mouseover every single mech and weapon statistic separately is a bit of a drag. Why is there no stats panel stating clearly what all the stats for it are etc.

- As an extension to the above, the weapon stats are meaningless without units.  Rate of fire: 0.8.  Ok cool. 0.8 seconds I guess_ Heat rate: 16.3.  16.3 what_ kittens per second_ what's max heat anyway_ etc.

- Tooltips on internals/items: Why_ There's enough room for a verbose description of the item above the stats. e.g:

Armor

Decreases all damage taken at the expense of speed.
-3% All Damage Received
-1.5m/s Movement Speed

And these are just a few of the issues with it, I could probably list a few more, but I actually want to play the game too ;P

Edited by Entity, November 20 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#2 RudaForce

RudaForce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted November 20 2012 - 04:25 PM

When I first got into the Hawken beta (I hope the readability hasn't changed since CBE2) it was extremely difficult to read, but changing it from fullscreen to windowed made everything so beautiful and clear. If you want to continue in fullscreen or are already in fullscreen, increase the resolution.

Posted Image

"I don't have a favourite quote."

#3 Entity

Entity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNiyabainen IV - Moon 1 - CNAP

Posted November 20 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostRudaForce, on November 20 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

When I first got into the Hawken beta (I hope the readability hasn't changed since CBE2) it was extremely difficult to read, but changing it from fullscreen to windowed made everything so beautiful and clear. If you want to continue in fullscreen or are already in fullscreen, increase the resolution.

Did you even look at the screenshot_ That should tell you immediately what mode I use at what resolution.

#4 JuiceBox

JuiceBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 10:22 PM

I like how you pointed out some of the flaws and didn't just scream "FONT SIZE SUCKS!" .. Bravo.

But your info still doesn't provide what info your running for a screen size and your screenshot doesn't do much either as your running in a Windowed mode :P

Take into consideration that a LOT of UI changes have taken place already and more will to come.

#5 VertoPrime

VertoPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHawaii (Oahu) USA

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:10 AM

I agree the fonts need to be bigger I am using a 32" for a monitor and I still need my glasses to read some information, windowed mode is a bad work around cause it uses more resourses like ram.
Posted Image
Win7 Home Premium 64bit, AMD Athlon ™ II X4 620 2.60 GHz, 6GB ram, Geforce GTX550 Ti 2gb

#6 Lithium03

Lithium03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:26 AM

View PostEntity, on November 20 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

- As an extension to the above, the weapon stats are meaningless without units.  Rate of fire: 0.8.  Ok cool. 0.8 seconds I guess_ Heat rate: 16.3.  16.3 what_ kittens per second_ what's max heat anyway_ etc.

I've assumed that it's:
Damage per shot
Accuracy in % at listed range (closer being more accurate, farther being less accurate)
Shots per second
Range from your mech (in meters)
Heat per second, and based on numbers/how fast it seems to overheat in game, that heat maxes out at 100

#7 AG_w

AG_w

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:37 AM

I'm curious whether dev team have 8.0 eyesight to read the UI or something

#8 AsoC

AsoC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 06:51 PM

First I wanted to create a new thread, but it fits pretty well in this one:
The readibilty in the optimizations menu should be increased.
As you see in the screenshot the top buttons, "garage" etc., are quite readable, but the "Autofill" buttons and especially the optimization buttons themselves are not that readable. The contrast is too low.

(One could possibly even increase the size of the whole menu using up the whole space as one is not able to see anything else anyway. Although I understand, doing so for only this menu makes no sense.)

Attached Files

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users