HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

In game Communications

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jonaanarkist

Jonaanarkist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted May 02 2011 - 10:23 AM

Something I havent seen in a while in communication (voice chat) , is muting death players like in gears of war. Living players could only speak to their living teammates, and deathplayers could speak amoung them no matter which team they were on.

But my main idea is for Hawken to implement what was seen in Halo 2 , those who played halo 2 will remember that , in team modes, whenever you wanted to speak to teammates you had to press a botton that would stablish team communication , and if you were killed while the team chat channel was still opened , your teammates could hear an "UGH!" dying moan effect on their mic's and you would had to wait for respawn to be able to be  heard again . Hawken could use some kind of digital interference effect here, that would add up to the immersion.

Also, if you didn't press the botton, your voice would be broadcasted even to the opposing team players, but could only be heard if you were close enough to the players. The closer you were to the player who was speaking , the louder you could hear his voice.

i loved this on halo 2.

#2 Porcupine

Porcupine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 02 2011 - 10:54 AM

Jonaanarkist said:

But my main idea is for Hawken to implement what was seen in Halo 2 , those who played halo 2 will remember that , in team modes, whenever you wanted to speak to teammates you had to press a botton that would stablish team communication , and if you were killed while the team chat channel was still opened , your teammates could hear an "UGH!" dying moan effect on their mic's and you would had to wait for respawn to be able to be  heard again . Hawken could use some kind of digital interference effect here, that would add up to the immersion

I like this idea!

#3 Goblinoid

Goblinoid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted May 02 2011 - 02:27 PM

Oh man I like this too, I mean the ramificat-KRACKKKK-KTSCHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSS

#4 Ganthir

Ganthir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSteel City

Posted May 02 2011 - 10:48 PM

Yeah that's not a bad suggestion, but instead of a "ugh" sound effect they could just cut you off with static noise for about half a second until you're muted (until respawn).

It would be especially cool because what if there's somebody doing some under the radar operating trying to keep a low profile and instead of killing off somebody in the other team just to have them cry "OH HE'S OVER THERE BY THE ORANGE BILLBOARD UNDERNEATH THE TALLEST BUILDING BY THE DUMPSTER" and then have a team magically spot you after their dead squad-mate just revealed your position.

The whole static / cut off sound effect would really add to the immersion too, even if it's just in a little way that doesn't make a massive difference.. but it's the little things that add up to make the game really shine.

I'm all for this idea.  :)

#5 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted May 02 2011 - 11:08 PM

That could be freaking amazing. Instead of an "Augh" there should be a loud crunching metal+static noise (Like in the end of the gameplay trailer), though.
Just imagine...

"Oh man, they're getting closer! Go back guys, I'm defending this spot to the last-KRACKKKK-KTSCHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSS"

This could be awesome! Maybe even a little "radio" filter so your voice sounds like it's spoken on a military radio... ahhh, the potential is endless!

#6 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 03 2011 - 01:06 PM

I do like this idea too. :)
Now I'm just remembering the SFX you can hear during the gameplay trailer when you're low of health. Yeah, that was cool as well!.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#7 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 03 2011 - 01:50 PM

I personally would love to see little customizable character avatars that pop up in some corner of your HUD when someone is talking, kinda like the starcraft style unit portraits
Mech time all the time

#8 Porcupine

Porcupine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 03 2011 - 03:56 PM

Flyingdebris said:

I personally would love to see little customizable character avatars that pop up in some corner of your HUD when someone is talking, kinda like the starcraft style unit portraits

That would be cool as well.

Or maybe even a direct feed from your webcam so it would actually be you on the screen!  :mrgreen:

#9 Jonaanarkist

Jonaanarkist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted May 03 2011 - 04:27 PM

:mrgreen:[/quote][quote name="Porcupine"][quote name="Flyingdebris"]I personally would love to see little customizable character avatars that pop up in some corner of your HUD when someone is talking, kinda like the starcraft style unit portraits[/quote]

That would be cool as well.

Or maybe even a direct feed from your webcam so it would actually be you on the screen!  :mrgreen:[/quote]

Sounds like starfox to me  :lol: it'd be cool but i believe it would be too much , imagine what would happen if 3 or more people were talking at the time. Wouldnt it cause lag in the game _

#10 Porcupine

Porcupine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 03 2011 - 04:49 PM

Jonaanarkist said:

Sounds like starfox to me  :lol: it'd be cool but i believe it would be too much , imagine what would happen if 3 or more people were talking at the time. Wouldnt it cause lag in the game _

Maybe. I have no idea  :mrgreen:

Just throwing ideas around at this point ^^

#11 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 03 2011 - 09:55 PM

Well, i dunno about webcams cause then you have to deal with transferring a video feed to everyone, which is more expensive netcode wise than just pure sound, that and i don't want to see people's penises while i play.
Mech time all the time

#12 Porcupine

Porcupine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted May 04 2011 - 01:21 AM

Flyingdebris said:

Well, i dunno about webcams cause then you have to deal with transferring a video feed to everyone, which is more expensive netcode wise than just pure sound, that and i don't want to see people's penises while i play.

Yeah, bad idea then.

#13 vesper1

vesper1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted May 15 2011 - 08:35 PM

+1 to dead mecha having no voice - I hate "camera campers" who can totally spoil the game by generally ghosting around the battlefield and giving tips to otherwise ignorant players.
Recruiting to the Bad Luck XIII Hawken Clan - interested_ Send me a PM.
[almost there...] http://hawkenwiki.net/ (all hail Ashfire908)

#14 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 18 2011 - 12:38 PM

IMO,

Webcams = No, sorry. :)

Observers = No comms available!.

Dead players = No comms available either!!.

Vesper has made a good point there.
Observers should be allowed or not via one Lobby setting. Most of the times, friendly games may permit observers. On the other hand, during Tournaments and/or Champion Leagues observers are a must.

Other than that, an observer with a free camera available to him = Most of the times.. cheating.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#15 DarkS7ar

DarkS7ar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 05 2011 - 05:35 PM

HAHA Revised post.

I find this Idea to be really cool and I believe the military comms idea would be sweet, like interference when your too close to a radio tower or something. Or(I guess this is the wrong topic for this but oh well) Like in place of your missiles you can have a comms disruptor and it only works when you get close to an enemy so he cant call for help.

OH!(idea) Or even hack into a dead mech and hack into their comms so you can hear the other team!
Above the sky, beneath the stars.
Is where I soar, and your world is no more.

http://i306.photobuc...597d4c3e0b5.jpg
^Queen of sniping.

DESTROY   Cupcake!

#16 CornR

CornR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUruguay

Posted July 16 2011 - 01:05 PM

This sounds great.
I always loved the extras that devs add to in game communication, like Source games have an echo effect depending on where you are, or if you are underwater or under a heavy rain the sound becomes muffled. It adds to the immersion. This is why I don't like 3rd party VOIP software for playing games that much.

Something that SHOULD be added is the ability to configure input-output devices for voice chat properly. Many games don't get this right and the game ends up with nobody communicating at all, for example Halo 2 Vista, Bad Company 2, and many other games that don't pay attention to this aspect.

Other stuff that I like is how in for example Garry's mod when you speak your character puts his hand on his ear as if he/she was using a headset.
Maybe in Hawken you could have something like Starfox where the person who is talking appears on the screen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users