- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

F_Falls

F_Falls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Ok i feel very comfortable with the reaper, it fits me like a glove.. down side is i cant seem to play anything else. I am still a newb, but 7 hrs so far on my reaper, and i'd like to experiment with some other mechs. I have no problems killing and getting top scores in my game with the reaper, the mech feels very strong to me. I dont really play as a sniper, more a skirmisher barely using the zoom function. If i need accuracy for my sabot i use the skill. TBH when i use the zoom i often die..

I tried playing assault and can't make it work, scout was the only other mech that i could find some ability in... tbh that thing is strong but doesn't fit to my style.

What would people suggest, are there other medium range skirmishers? I value my ability to 1v1 highly, as i feel most mechs i can beat straight up with my Reaper(unless the pilot is better than me), exception being infiltrator.

Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

I have no problems killing and getting top scores in my game with the reaper

FITE ME NORD.

In all seriousness, Reaper's not good at what you're trying to do.

Heck, Reaper's kindof derpy in general atm.

It doesn't have any AOE weaponry, low HP, etc - this means you'll get outpoked in cornerplay hard if you face someone half-decent.

Assault masterrace is my advice.

• Miscellaneous likes this

Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Assault masterrace is my advice.

He's right. As much as I hate to admit it, Assault is one of the best (if not the best) mechs in the game. Although for mid-range skirmishing in a light mech, I recommend Zerker. 

Also, pro tip - doing what you say you're doing in a Reaper for prolonged periods will get you killed VERY quickly at any kind of high-tier play. If you want to try and learn the scope, try Sharpshooter.

• Pastorius and WillyW like this

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Spoiler

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Ok i feel very comfortable with the reaper, it fits me like a glove.. down side is i cant seem to play anything else. I am still a newb, but 7 hrs so far on my reaper, and i'd like to experiment with some other mechs. I have no problems killing and getting top scores in my game with the reaper, the mech feels very strong to me. I dont really play as a sniper, more a skirmisher barely using the zoom function. If i need accuracy for my sabot i use the skill. TBH when i use the zoom i often die..

I tried playing assault and can't make it work, scout was the only other mech that i could find some ability in... tbh that thing is strong but doesn't fit to my style.

What would people suggest, are there other medium range skirmishers? I value my ability to 1v1 highly, as i feel most mechs i can beat straight up with my Reaper(unless the pilot is better than me), exception being infiltrator.

There's a mech out there for everyone. If you're good in the Reaper, play the Reaper. If you're good in niche Reaper play, such as skirmishing in it, then you will be valuable to any team. I wouldn't try to CQC a Scoot or Raider because those are built for that and any pilot at your skill level will best you in a corner fight or a CQ fight. If you find that you're ability to skirmish diminishes as your mmr goes up, try different tactics.

Edited by SaturdayGhede, 18 April 2015 - 04:12 AM.

• F_Falls likes this

Technician | Fear the Beam | Support
Welcome to the End of Days
KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Now I am not saying you use the Reaper wrong, but I will say it is not right.

If the mech got the zoom button, it is for a reason FYI.

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Don't listen to these guys. There's a mech out there for everyone.

You just told him to not listen to advice about the current state of the Reaper.

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

You just told him to not listen to advice about the current state of the Reaper.

No. I told him not to listen to people that tell him how to have fun. Then I elaborated on how playing the way he wants to play was positive. Then I told him that there are nexus that may be able to counter his play style. Thanks though.

I also told him that >I< wouldn't play a certain way with it.

Edited by SaturdayGhede, 18 April 2015 - 04:09 AM.

KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

No. I told him not to listen to people that tell him how to play. Then I elaborated on how playing the way he wants to play was positive. Then I told him that there are nexus that may be able to counter his play style. Thanks though.

I didn't tell him how to play, I simply stated how the Reaper is atm.

Misc reccomended and gave a tip.

I also told him that >I< wouldn't play a certain way with it.

I never said anything about how >you< wouldn't play a certain way with it.

Thanks.

Edited by Meraple, 18 April 2015 - 04:12 AM.

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

I didn't tell him how to play, I simply stated how the Reaper is atm.
Misc reccomended and gave a tip.

Thanks.

Fair enough.

Edited initial post to be more PC.

Edited by SaturdayGhede, 18 April 2015 - 04:16 AM.

KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

ROSING

ROSING

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
I also share your passion for front line reaper :T. I know it's not the best, but it's so fun!

But if you're looking for something like that then I would say perhaps infiltrator or berserker, bith can be tailored for this kind of skirmishing. Simply put though, there's nothing really like a cqc reaper, so any mech you try out will take a bit of time getting used to. Don't be discouraged if you get your ass kicked a lot, that's half of learning in any shooter game.
  • F_Falls likes this

F_Falls

F_Falls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I have figured out not to fight close range with scouts and raiders, tbh i havent seen many raiders; but scouts 've had some practice vs. I'd fight a scout, but run from a zerk or infiltrator. Also the reason for the thread was not my reaper play, but what might fit better for that role in how i use the reaper better.

Assault, i have a harder time with fual compared to reaper(and it has a small tank), i played it a bit more went like 10-2 but still felt wrong. The grenadier seemed to fit a bit better, but less a skirmisher i died a lot to assaults.

FITE ME NORD.

Yeah i already seen you as a scout ... as i said unless the pilot is better.. you fit into that catagory. I'm 1600 MMR im sure you're a lot higher. But ill 1v1 if you like.

Edited by F_Falls, 18 April 2015 - 04:33 AM.

Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

But ill 1v1 if you like.

It was a joke man, lol.

I should probably make that more clear in my future posts.

• n3onfx likes this

ROSING

ROSING

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

I have figured out not to fight close range with scouts and raiders, tbh i havent seen many raiders; but scouts 've had some practice vs. I'd fight a scout, but run from a zerk or infiltrator. Also the reason for the thread was not my reaper play, but what might fit better for that role in how i use the reaper better.

Assault, i have a harder time with fual compared to reaper(and it has a small tank), i played it a bit more went like 10-2 but still felt wrong. The grenadier seemed to fit a bit better, but less a skirmisher i died a lot to assaults.

Yeah i already seen you as a scout ... as i said unless the pilot is better.. you fit into that catagory. I'm 1600 MMR im sure you're a lot higher. But ill 1v1 if you like.

If you want to use the reaper in the conventional way, closest you should be to the fight is in the back of the front lines. You can take a vantage point from across the map and try to snipe people (just don't get caught alone), or you can be at mid range supplementing your CQC mechs with additional damage, and occasionally stealing their kills as you pick off the ones that flee. Anywhere in between those two distances is acceptable.

dEd101

dEd101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Reaper works best as a mid line mech. I always played it as fire support. I thought of it as a very mobile turret that could assist in every fight (preferably not actually being in it). I used for but better pilots used the carpel tunnel gun (I forget what it's called).

Real men/women use brawlers

Coboxite

Coboxite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Another poor soul led astray by the Siren song of the Reaper, unable now to play the mechs that don't suck.

If you want a good mid range fighter, Grenadier is very strong at mid range, and can be a decent close range fighter with the unlocks. Another good one is any mech with HEAT cannon, but that can take a fair amount of skill to get good with. Vanguard can also be decent at mid range too.

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Another poor soul led astray by the Siren song of the Reaper, unable now to play the mechs that don't suck.

If you want a good mid range fighter, Grenadier is very strong at mid range, and can be a decent close range fighter with the unlocks. Another good one is any mech with HEAT cannon, but that can take a fair amount of skill to get good with. Vanguard can also be decent at mid range too.

REV-Gel isn`t exactly the friendliest towards newbies.

• Ripntell likes this

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

REV-Gel isn`t exactly the friendliest towards newbies.

Shhhhh.... No tears now.... Only dreams....

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Spoiler

F_Falls

F_Falls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Ok im now leaning towards heavy mechs, since i disliked the meds i've played. I have only test driven the grenadier and i liked it, i think ill get more light mechs later; i just need something different. Im still a little torn, but im leaning towards Rocketeer.

Bratwurst

Bratwurst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

I love my reaper... my most favorite mech in the game ATM because of how challenging it is to play such a fine mech. Yes I believe the Assault is at the moment one of the - if not the most - powerful mech in the game.

GwqKp.png?1

My prices are high, but I always deliver results.

CUtDJd5.jpg?1

Ganoosh

Ganoosh

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same exact problem as you. I recently unlocked the slug rifle and that forced me to play midrange, but Im ruined for other mechs.

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

I have the same exact problem as you. I recently unlocked the slug rifle and that forced me to play midrange, but Im ruined for other mechs.

First off, you're still at the stage where the mech is more potent than the pilot. past the ~2000 MMR barrier, the potency flips.  That being said, understanding and having a keen grasp on the core pilot skills - using your movement effectively and dealing lots of damage - will help you in the long run.

My advice to you is to revert back to the assault.  Not so much that Assault is the best mech, but the assault has the least of out of all the other mechs: disadvantages.  the Assault has decent armor, movement speed, fuel, weapons, and an ability that is easy to use, all while not being disadvantageous in any of these aspects.

Reaper is super squishy, and is one of the worst mechs as far as DPS is concerned. this is offset by inherent a frame mobility and a MASSIVE fuel tank.  Quite frankly, it's ability is all but viable.

playing your assault to max level will teach you all the basics of hawken movement and damage, which will aid in projecting your skills through literally every other mech in the game.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

but im leaning towards Rocketeer.

lol.

IMO, learn to play Heat-Infiltrator and Heat-Gren. Same weapons, different movement/ability. Master the projectile weaps and lvl up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users