• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Aristo

Aristo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

I've since gotten my Vanguard to level six and enjoy it quite a bit; honestly, I think I feel a little more confident going into a match with it than an A-class. Still, going up against good A-class players is the thing that scares me the most. When I play Vanguard, I try to provide an anchor for the team, spearheading pushes and being at the forefront of defenses. In a team setting, I think I'm pretty okay with the mech, although I'm still not so crazy about engaging anything other than other C or B-classes in it. I think a large part of my development revolves around getting used to the grenade launcher and memorizing how far I need to lead to get good hits. Hitting flying 'zerkers and the like is a nightmare and I usually have to rely on some backup from the team if they come running.     

I think that some of the C-classes just might cater a bit more to my playstyle than the A-class mechs I've been trying to get good at, but it's tough to tell; I've only used the Vanguard and to a much lesser extent the Rocketeer (can't stand it). So, what sort of advice do the veteran C-class aficionados have for aspiring fatties?  

• GalaxyRadio likes this

HawkenAristoSig_zpsr4v3rexh.png

Ninja_Goat

Ninja_Goat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Play allot of siege,  C-mech's are the kings of Siege where the enemy has to come to a fixed point (the AA).  

You can perfect your aiming then move to MA and TDM to learn movement.

Equip a 2 slot fail safe, faceplant A-mechs with a detonator and grenade, you have the health pool for it , they don't. 

HorseHeadProphet

HorseHeadProphet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

I might get torched for saying this, but I love air compressor in my Brawler. With the right timing, you can make a fatty dance. I know, I know, big floating target. Thing is, most players won't be expecting you to be able to dodge in mid-air, and even less can hit a moving target reliably. Work on nailing your TOW or grenade shots, and timing the detonation so you can still make a miss do damage. Also, say an enemy is at your 7 o clock position. Turn to your 1 o clock position and bust a 180. Many enemies will think you don't see them at all and move closer to you, you whip around like "oh hai." I might also drop a turret to help me out if I know there are about to be enemies swarming all around me. It might just give me the edge I need to come out on top of that engagement.

In a C-class you really can't pursue. You won't be chasing down scouts and zerkers. Nor can you escape if you blunder into enemy territory and/or get swarmed. Best advice, stick with the team, take advantage of the fact that you can take way more of a beating than an A-class. Take the pain and land your shots, they explode the same as you.

The Hawken forum's a forum, but it's like the only one you get yelled at for using.

IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
This game is completely reliant on positioning. If you have trouble killing A classes solo then you need to play more aggressive and get into a more optimal range for your GL. You have 300+ more HP than A classes so assuming you are in the correct position you should be able to clean up As quickly.
  • HorseHeadProphet likes this

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Honestly? Just keep practicing. It sounds like you're on the right track. Get your aim down, and slow down. Don't dodge 100% of the time.

Here: this might shed some light.

It's incomplete, but it's a valuable means of looking at fights, especially in a C class.

Best of luck.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Hitting A class mechs is simple with patience. The trick is to hit them after they dodge. All it takes is one good GL or TOW to severely cripple them. So take your time and fire at the right moment, not in the middle of panic. Also, creating space between you and the light mech helps a lot. Light mechs have an advantage right up in your face due to turning speed caps, but as distance increases that advantage decreases for them. In short, calm down, create space and fire after they dodge when taking on a light mech.

ROSING

ROSING

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Hobbes said it best in his video that C Class mechs are a lot about positioning. Reading the situation, not straying too far from the group, and not getting into bad or even potentially bad situations, because once you're in them, you've little chance of getting out. C classes are pretty defensive mechs, so play them defensively. Take the front line of your team by all means, but don't be leroy jenkins.

Don't think that because you're a bulky C class that you can afford to tank all their shots. Dodge often and keep moving, even if it feels slow. Since your dodges come even slower it's crucial you use them at the right moment, i.e. right as you see them fire their secondary at you.

But at the same time, remain calm. You can afford to focus slightly more of your attention on hitting your target rather than dodging it because of your health pool, and so even if they are a scout that's blasting away at your health, even if you only lock onto him at half health you've won the fight.

Edited by ROSING, 21 April 2015 - 09:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users