Photo

Questions about FPS and graphics settings.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

My personal understanding regarding computers is pretty limited, so i would like to ask the more educated people about this.

Here's the deal; Everytime i see live streams/gameplay videos of hawken that are in solid 60 fps, the gameplay looks extremely smooth and nice. Meanwhile i can get that same FPS in my game and the game never looks as smooth.

What is this all about ? I've heard suggestions about tweaking graphical settings in both Hawken and Nvidia control panel but never got any real difference other than the game looking more terrible without any change in the FPS/smoothness of it.

By the looks of it i really think having the game that smooth would have a positive effect on my gameplay too.

I can look up the specs of my computer but i don't think that should matter, apparently there should be more than enough to cover it.

Thank you for your time.

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

HHEEYYLLOO There ,i mean Emily  :tongue:

i usually get 100+/-  in high setting  in my GTX 570M powered laptop but when i want to record i use these settings ,other wise it impact my system .i got 70+/- FPS when i do record .Below is my custom settings ( just go C:\Users\ Pilot's name\Documents\My Games\Hawken\HawkenGame\Config\HawkenSystemSettings.inf )

replace all the stuff with these text .hope it will help u .

Spoiler

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Have you tried turning it on and off?

• CrimsonKaim likes this

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

more precisely u can use Nvidia Inspector soft for tuning a little but hey it's great soft 

for download it go here http://www.guru3d.co...r-download.html

step 1 : open it and click that config icon which is located in this pic

nvidia_20120426_155140_zpsbhxoihh9.png

Step 2 :  search for the game Hawken in the box which is located in pic 

Screenshot%207_zpsgixglehc.png

Step 3 :  now modify these settings and let us know is it help full for u 

Screenshot%208_zpsbsjjimox.png

Screenshot%209_zpstvuh67gf.png

Edited by (KDR) RozerMahbub, 08 May 2015 - 06:31 AM.

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

I noticed the same exact thing for the longest time LaurenEmily

60 fps streams looked better than my 122 fps gameplay

Then I bought a high refreshrate (144mhz) monitor and there it was

buttery smooth

I finally had that butter in my game

• LRod likes this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Thanks Rozer i can try that and see if it changes anything. That does look a lot like the settings you have in the nvidia control panel though, is that somehow different from it ?

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

As Dustin has said, for the first time without any sort of sarcasm in months, it probably has to do with your monitor's Hz. And no, Dustin, your monitor is 144 Hz, not mHz.

• CraftyDus likes this

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

There are 3 factors that might be involved in this.

1. FPS below 60

2. unstable FPS jumping (30-60-120-60-30 etc.)

3. Too many background processes.

I myself recently upgarded my rig (nVidia GTX 970) and it overloaded my damn energy supply unit. So I upgarded it as well.

However, I can say that I hadn't got any problems with my previous 560 Ti.

Additionally, Hawken's goal was to provide awesome graphics for low end computers so you should have enough power to play Hawken at 60 FPS.

1. FPS below 60.

You can check Hawken's FPS by tellign it so. Open console with F5 and write the command for dspalying your current FPS (I think it is called statfps but I am not sure though, can someone please tell me? xd)

If FPS are below 60 (for example on Last Eco or Prosk) there are a couple of things you can do:

a) Turn off PhysX (It has a MASSIVE impact)

b) Lower graphic settings (who would had this idea?)

c) Go to nVidia configuration and adjust global graphic settings (look at rozie's post)

2. Unstable FPS

This is the worst. Just like an unstable ping. It is way better to paly with constant 30 FPS instead of jumping 120-30-60-whatever.

Solutions:

a) Cap max FPS at 60/80/100 or what your rig can do (also creates less work for your GPU!)

b) nVidia configuration panel (rozie's post again)

3. Too many background processes.

Yeah, close them

How?

Open the Task Manager and look what eats the most resources.

a) Close them ...

As in every support request, the more information you provide, the better someone can help you. Computers are like humans, not the same at all. They all differ atleast slightly in some points.

Edited by FakeName, 08 May 2015 - 06:56 AM.

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Thanks Rozer i can try that and see if it changes anything. That does look a lot like the settings you have in the nvidia control panel though, is that somehow different from it ?

No ! it's same but in Advanced mode .As Dustin said may be would be ur monitor refreshrate .if i'm not wrong my monitor has the same refreshrate .

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Snip snip.

Thanks for the detailed suggestions, i don't think there's anything i didn't try already though, so i'm guessing it's just the monitor Hz thing.

Just to clarify, 60 Hz is not capable of displaying 60 fps While 144 can do either 60 or 120 ? that's a shame.

Oh and it can't be that my computer couldn't handle it. That much i know.

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Thanks for the detailed suggestions, i don't think there's anything i didn't try already though, so i'm guessing it's just the monitor Hz thing.

Just to clarify, 60 Hz is not capable of displaying 60 fps While 144 can do either 60 or 120 ? that's a shame.

Thing is, if you can recognize the difference of good and bad, in this case, you can recognize that the stream is better than your actual Hawken performence, then your monitor is atleast as good as you can see the stream. 

Because how else would you recognize the difference?

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

reznog

reznog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Keep in mind that youtube adds motion blur. Also, check this

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

You will notice it looks better to run the game at 120 fps than 60 fps on a 60hz monitor.

You will also notice it looks even better to run a 120 fps game on a 144hz monitor than a 60 hz monitor.

It's hard to describe, but I think you that you understand it.

You describe the smoothness of the high quality stream/video is noticeably better than your gameplay, I did too.

When I bought my benq 144 hz monitor I understood instantly that's what I was missing.

"get a 144 hz monitor, it will change your life" - hestoned

• talon70 likes this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

LRod

LRod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

If you're certain about your rig's capabilities (and most PC gamers tend to be savy about such things), and if you've already fiddled with the Nvidia settings, then it has to be your monitor bottlenecking the presentation. 

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting"  - Sun Tzu

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

I can attest to others claiming the dramatic change from 60Hz to a higher refresh rate monitor, especially for Hawken. Almost all of the gripes that many of us complain about—which originates from a 60Hz monitor—are mitigated significantly when using a 120Hz+ monitor.

Even so though, Hawken still has engine faults that prevent the rendering of frames in real-time, which is unfortunate. Why you see gameplay considerably smoother when viewed from an audience perspective can be explained through the processing techniques that Twitch and YouTube utilizes to hand out the presentation. Predominantly, many of the faults that are associated with lower refresh rate monitors cannot be recorded into the presentation of the video or stream, since they only affect the display and its frame buffer.

Edited by Draigun, 08 May 2015 - 12:48 PM.

TpsOr7F.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users