• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
Hi, currently I use a laptop to play HAWKEN (Like all true champions), and get pretty low fps.
After exams I am considering buying a gaming pc, but when I checked the specs on the laptop they seem like they should be able to run HAWKEN without any problem (I currently use minimum graphics settings with no INI changes)

My specs are:

HP Envy dv7
Intel core i7 3630QM CPU @ 2.4 GHz
Windows 8.1 64 bit
Nvidia geforce 630M 2GB graphics card (Stand alone)
8 GB ram

So my questions are:

1. Should this be enough to run HAWKEN fine?

2. If not, what is lacking in my specs, or what could be the cause of this?

Thanks in advance.

Spoiler

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

there have some custom INF , u can use these modified INF file .hope it will help u .

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Should and will are two different things. The speed and power of the 630M is no where near the power of it's closest relative in the desktop GeForce family which is the GT 630, your 630M is more in line with the GT 620 then the 630 if we look at Nvidia's own documentation here you'll see the similarity.

http://www.geforce.c.../specifications

http://www.geforce.c.../specifications

Laptop components are usually 1 to 2 sometimes 3 versions below what they're tagged to be. Often they're a ULP (Ultra Low Power) version of the same chip, with portions of the desktop chip disabled or removed entirely.

So in short it's the cheap GPU HP placed in that laptop along side that really nice CPU. Your CPU should be partnered with a 760M or 770M not a 630M.

• Rainbow_Sheep and Nov8tr like this

tTIViUr.png

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Laptop components are usually 1 to 2 sometimes 3 versions below what they're tagged to be. Often they're a ULP (Ultra Low Power) version of the same chip, with portions of the desktop chip disabled or removed entirely.

So in short it's the cheap GPU HP placed in that laptop along side that really nice CPU. Your CPU should be partnered with a 760M or 770M not a 630M.

Okay, thanks. I'm looking into laptop upgrades, how easy is it to do? (For a graphics card)

Spoiler

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Okay, thanks. I'm looking into laptop upgrades, how easy is it to do? (For a graphics card)

Most laptops can't be upgraded sadly, those parts are reserved for OEM use. Only thing I know you can change is the ram and disk drive and that's about it.

tTIViUr.png

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

It's nigh impossible.  That chip is soldered onto the mainboard.  

Your best bet is looking into a gaming PC.  You can also look into getting an external GPU setup, but those are particularly expensive.  

By the time you purchase the unit and a GPU, you're looking at around $400-$500, which is enough to build a budget gaming desktop.  

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Yes the mobile video cards cost more than their PC comparison. And laptop versions of CPU's and GPU's are not as powerful as their PC comparisons either. They do this as a marketing ploy. http://www.game-deba...geforce-gt-630m Not only can you get a better computer by building/buying a gaming computer, it will also be upgradeable on virtually every component. You can upgrade the case, power supply, motherboard, cpu, video card, hard drive or SSD(S), cooling fans, cpu cooler and so on. It is a WIN-WIN situation. Keep your laptop for when you travel or school or whatever. But game on the PC. You will be a much happier person. Trust me. I've been in computers for 44 years and have built thousands and thousand of them. I've even built a server for NASA. :D

*NOTE* You CAN build it yourself even if you never have before. It is not as hard to just build a computer as you would think. There are vids online that will help you. Here is just one example of helping you. http://www.wikihow.c...uild-a-Computer Not only will it be a better system then your laptop. It will save you a nice chunk of money doing it yourself. And you will learn as well. And have the satisfaction of knowing YOU built it. Good luck and take care. :D

Edited by Nov8tr, 16 May 2015 - 06:25 PM.

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Your best bet is looking into a gaming PC.  You can also look into getting an external GPU setup, but those are particularly expensive.  

Your forgetting that shiz is proprietary too, the Dell/Alienware unit has a special cable with a special port only found on a certain Alienware laptop, and the one from MSi never took off and was never heard from again. I think the Dell/Alienware one adds on an extra $1500 to the price tag of the laptop. That's without a GPU btw.

tTIViUr.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users