• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

LicSqualo

LicSqualo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi Guys,

I'm LicSqualo (and also LicSqualoZ) an italian old veteran player of Hawken (alpha tester).

I'm a super-user for the pc and actually I'm under water cooling with AMD FX-8350 and one R9-295x2 on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 and 16 Gb ram. All overclocked. Actually I'm running @4810 due summer on the door. I've two monitor: @2560x1440 and 1920x1200.

My problem is a constantly decrease of USE of my GPU (crossfired or not) during play in Hawken. I start with 130+ FPS and after approximately 60 minutes I'm at 30-20 FPS, unplayable. Restart Hawken all come back with higher FPS. 

I play @2560x1400 ultra settings. With PhysX activated this time (to decrease) drop to 30-40 minutes to reach 20 FPS. 

Without physx and low settings this happen after 90 minutes, but happen in any case.

Beside, I've changed my GPU (to play better!!!) from a HD7970+HD7950 this past christmas. This issue is start about 1,5 years ago. Before the Ascension update. But I remember an update has resolved (!) and after a week returned with the next update. 

I've also thought to change versus the NVIDIA gpu, but really my hearth don't want to ear and see the green side... And I've read problem also with the NVidia card here.

I've also register this issue with GPU-Z, where is possible to see the GPU USE decrease...

My personal impression is like a buffer not empty. But what buffer? I can only report the GPU use decrease from 90% (when used, as now, only one GPU) to 10% during the game. The CPU use not change, I see 4 of 8 cores at 40-50% all the time.

I play everyday with this issue (I love this game) and only sometime, now, I reach the 20 FPS because I restart the game before, :)

So if someone have found a solution as a configuration of a "sort of" to have a constant playgame for a 2-3 hours: please help!!!

Note: is the only game with problems... also other UE3 game run really good. In Firestrike, as example, my score is 12-13.000

...and sorry for my English.

• Zerit likes this

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

I have this same issue with low framerate halfway through a match.

I have MSI r9 290 and intel i5-4670k. I play on 1080p, med textures and low graphics and still get 25-100 frames in a lot of matches. It varies wildly and fuzzy bunnys me up.

Does it have something to do with the new server setup?

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Engine is poorly optimized, cannot render frames in real-time. It's also utilizing DirectX 9 as the API, which is over 10+ years old.

• MajyckToad likes this

TpsOr7F.png

MajyckToad

MajyckToad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

i've had numerous bug reports in since before Ascension, on different amd rigs.

still no joy after over 2 years.

i have an 8350@4.3GHz 1.284vCore aircooled that ran today at 49.7degC on Prime95 no probs.

loaded Hawken, boom. it crashed. did the same yesterday. the day before....

It seems Hawken runs only at 4.0GHz or lower. I'm using the AMD default 4 + 4.2 boost config, so far only one crash all nite.

i have had different gpus including Nvidia (FX7750 presently, max OCd all the way), and brand seems not to make any difference as long as it's well cooled. 57-69degC, lately.

the elephant in the room is that this was an Nvidia-centricly developed game with full dev coordination with Nvidia graphics teams. AMD is sort of a bastard brat in the closet that needs to be fed occasionally. hope ReLoaded changes some of this.

good luck

:)

edit: also, no real nvidia based engine code that has been adapted to interface AMD systems has been addressed (apparently) since approximately 2010. references to these issues googled lift no hope. anything extant here has been strictly in-house generated. ugh.

edit summa: aaaaaaannnnd it just crashed again....

:*

Edited by MajyckToad, 18 May 2015 - 08:39 PM.

BkeETgs.jpg

Shoutaxeror

Shoutaxeror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Single GPU -> Less problems.

I don't know how you guys have these problems, I run Hawken in high graphics quality/medium textures with about 50 FPS in 1080p. With a (single) R7 260x and a i5 4440. Never had issues with FPS drops.

Poop, I have no idea why you have these FPS drops.

KkaQ7HY.png

SaYxVQp.pngWgWPdMp.png

KDR Veteran | PrT Participant

contact.KOBALT@gmail.com

MajyckToad

MajyckToad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Not sure if the frame rate is an issue with gpu or not. mine only gets dorky depending on something going on with the server or internet quality, either locally or on Hawken's end.

Frame rate at Off/Ultra/Ultra usually is ~40 to 90, at Off/Ultra/Low is ~120 to 144 on USE and EU, but is a crapshoot on dallas and USW for some reason.

BkeETgs.jpg

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

i've had numerous bug reports in since before Ascension, on different amd rigs.

still no joy after over 2 years.

i have an 8350@4.3GHz 1.284vCore aircooled that ran today at 49.7degC on Prime95 no probs.

loaded Hawken, boom. it crashed. did the same yesterday. the day before....

It seems Hawken runs only at 4.0GHz or lower. I'm using the AMD default 4 + 4.2 boost config, so far only one crash all nite.

i have had different gpus including Nvidia (FX7750 presently, max OCd all the way), and brand seems not to make any difference as long as it's well cooled. 57-69degC, lately.

the elephant in the room is that this was an Nvidia-centricly developed game with full dev coordination with Nvidia graphics teams. AMD is sort of a bastard brat in the closet that needs to be fed occasionally. hope ReLoaded changes some of this.

good luck

:)

edit: also, no real nvidia based engine code that has been adapted to interface AMD systems has been addressed (apparently) since approximately 2010. references to these issues googled lift no hope. anything extant here has been strictly in-house generated. ugh.

edit summa: aaaaaaannnnd it just crashed again....

:*

I had no problems getting Hawken to run on an 8350 @ 5GHz, prime95 is starting to become a relegated and useless program for stress testing, where as IntelBurnTest is far better since it stresses more of the CPU by running linpack.

Also on said system with a pair of HD 7970's it got 180`185fps on ultra @ 2650x1440, sounds to me like ya'll don't have the older DirectX9 libraries installed (obtained through the dxwebsetup from MS), Even the system I got now granted not AMD based is pushing well over 300fps, without no special tweaks to inis or anything like that.

tTIViUr.png

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

[...]

Also on said system with a pair of HD 7970's it got 180`185fps on ultra @ 2650x1440, sounds to me like ya'll don't have the older DirectX9 libraries installed (obtained through the dxwebsetup from MS), Even the system I got now granted not AMD based is pushing well over 300fps, without no special tweaks to inis or anything like that.

As far as I know, Steam won't let you play until you have the DirectX 9 libraries.

Is that FPS consistent through every match? I can push 250 FPS on Ultra with PhysX on, since I'll just be sitting in the menu screen not doing anything. In real-world scenarios though—or multiplayer games—it will significantly decrease performance. Since you didn't specify where you got your performance, and based on the fact that 1440p is already difficult to drive on a poorly optimized game, I find it unlikely that you can get that performance on Ultra in a match. Although to be fair, Crossfire is more efficient and low level than SLI, so it's a given that with Crossfire, you'll get near 2x performance.

TpsOr7F.png

MajyckToad

MajyckToad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

always wondered what i might be doing wrong: frequency multipliers. howtos always recommend using the multipliers and staying away from the BC frequency.

if i jack the BCC to 225 with the multiplier at default 20.0 i get a "new" computer, that tests (barely) below 60degC, successfully loads and runs Hawken at my favorite Off/Ultra/Low settings with ~155fps and stays below 50degC ingame. my only gripe is the cpu 7200rpm fan is fuzzy bunnyng loud.

O Happy Happy Joy Joy!

BkeETgs.jpg

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

As far as I know, Steam won't let you play until you have the DirectX 9 libraries.

Is that FPS consistent through every match? I can push 250 FPS on Ultra with PhysX on, since I'll just be sitting in the menu screen not doing anything. In real-world scenarios though—or multiplayer games—it will significantly decrease performance. Since you didn't specify where you got your performance, and based on the fact that 1440p is already difficult to drive on a poorly optimized game, I find it unlikely that you can get that performance on Ultra in a match. Although to be fair, Crossfire is more efficient and low level than SLI, so it's a given that with Crossfire, you'll get near 2x performance.

Steam claims to run the dxwebsetup but it's not really running it, with the newest version of the setup webstaller(which steam fetches), it asks to install the bing bar, which because of this, Steam exits it out since it "encountered" an error.

Those figures were in match, 7970s were clocked to 1525MHz core and 1975MHz memory, with 2400MHz DDR3, stock numbers on the 7970s were 975MHz core 1325MHz memory.

always wondered what i might be doing wrong: frequency multipliers. howtos always recommend using the multipliers and staying away from the BC frequency.

if i jack the BCC to 225 with the multiplier at default 20.0 i get a "new" computer, that tests (barely) below 60degC, successfully loads and runs Hawken at my favorite Off/Ultra/Low settings with ~155fps and stays below 50degC ingame. my only gripe is the cpu 7200rpm fan is fuzzy bunnyng loud.

O Happy Happy Joy Joy!

For AMD systems, you wanna start with the bus clock first, most 8350's max out at around 235~240MHz which pushes the core clock to 4.6GHz, from there you can increase the multiplier which even still most 8350's top out at around 4.8~5.1GHz, without extreme cooling and voltage pushing. The Northbridge changes to 2450MHz, and the HT Link to 2925MHz, your RAM speed will also increase with base clock changes. It may or may not prime95 fine, but when the harddisk is stressed, that's when it all falls to fuzzy bunny. Unlike the old Phenom's the FX series has little to no benefit from increasing the Northbridge and the HT Link doesn't need to be limited to the NB speed. So the Northbridge along with HT Link should be kept as close to stock as possible, stock being 2200MHz NB, 2600MHz HT Link, you'll also need to dial back your RAM speed as you increase the base clock, if you got no clue how to overclock ram.

• Draigun and MajyckToad like this

tTIViUr.png

LicSqualo

LicSqualo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

... just to better define, I'm running 260 Mhz FSB x 18.5 multi. Ram @2080 4x 4 Gb. NB 2600 Mhz and HT 2860 Mhz. IBT AVX 10 gb ram, 20 pass, stable.

For the first 20-30 minutes the system offer (with a single GPU) a solid 80 FPS with 12 players and all ultra.

After this time (as example a long siege match) the FPS decreasing (in 30 minutes) to 30 FPS, but unplayable.

Edited by LicSqualo, 20 May 2015 - 09:01 AM.

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

... just to better define, I'm running 260 Mhz FSB x 18.5 multi. Ram @2080 4x 4 Gb. NB 2600 Mhz and HT 2860 Mhz. IBT AVX 10 gb ram, 20 pass, stable.

For the first 20-30 minutes the system offer (with a single GPU) a solid 80 FPS with 12 players and all ultra.

After this time (as example a long siege match) the FPS decreasing (in 30 minutes) to 30 FPS, but unplayable.

That FSB is way to high AMD's see no more single threaded performance gains after 240Mhz, also your NB shouldn't need to be overclocked unless your running ram in excess of 2200Mhz, your HT Link speed is fine but you get no real speed gain from moving it from stock. What are the temps of the system, AMD's have a "safe" limit of 55c and thermal shutdown happens at 65c

A strange note to add, the whole FX lines Northbridge speed, is directly tied to the IMC (Intigrated Memory Controller) so in general cases it's not needed to be touched and should have it's multiplier adjusted accordingly to bring it back at or near stock value.

tTIViUr.png

MajyckToad

MajyckToad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

neh. not even worrying about the upper limits with the NB, HT and memory clocks. i have the little self contained convection tube stock cooler that came with the 8350, and the (7200rpm??) fan on it when i set it to 100% @58degC keeps the core temps <60 at 4.5GHz. barely. I'm not going to really need anything that high just to play Hawken anyway, so 4.2 or 4.3 is good enough for me. 

BkeETgs.jpg

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

neh. not even worrying about the upper limits with the NB, HT and memory clocks. i have the little self contained convection tube stock cooler that came with the 8350, and the (7200rpm??) fan on it when i set it to 100% @58degC keeps the core temps <60 at 4.5GHz. barely. I'm not going to really need anything that high just to play Hawken anyway, so 4.2 or 4.3 is good enough for me. 

58 Celsius is dangerously high for any AMD, the silicon substrate has a fault tolerance of 65C while most motherboard will start to throttle the processor once it hits 55C. It's often recommended to use some form of liquid cooling due to the high TDP scaling, as the FX 9590 is to show at 4.7GHz @ 1.45v the chip has a TDP of 220W the standard cooler in the FD8350FRHKBOX binned chip is only rated for 130W which is the 8350's turbo boost limit. I used a corsair H110 on my 8350 to keep it at 5GHz, since the TDP climbed to near 300W, I think I had it calculated out to 292.5W or right around there, which is well within the 400W TDP limit of the H110. For all the more you have yours clocked to an H80 or H80i should do and give you room to go up to 4.7~4.8 while staying under 55C.

tTIViUr.png

LicSqualo

LicSqualo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I'm under water cooler by a Nexxxus 480 UT 60, external on my case (push/pull). During Hawken or other games I never seen over 55°C (now with ambient T at 30°C). Only with IBT AVX, reach 63°C (the Socket Temp, the CPU Temp is more lower, approximately 12°C).

Hawken is so "delicated" for my overclock?

I can re-check now, without overclock, but the last (approximately 6 months ago) the result is the same. With a little bit lower FPS, because i think Hawken is GPU "dependent" and not CPU "dependent".

But I will try.

Note: I've disassembled my H100 to take only the PCB and control all the fans with a Mini and SIV to control all my Corsair hardware.

Edited by LicSqualo, 24 May 2015 - 06:52 AM.

TangledMantis

TangledMantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

AMD Bulldozer 8120 /w Radeon 7770 on an ASUS Motherboard /w 8Gb RAM. Runs very well at 40-60fps all day long. Its probably your configuration. Not AMD.

LicSqualo

LicSqualo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Yes, I think the same, and just to be more precise: with the same configuration in Win10 the game is now literally unplayable (1-2 fps and freeze) from the first minute. Is the only game installed.

I've a program to monitor all my hardware, SIV (http://rh-software.com/), and for both system I noted is a CPU problem, only one core run the game (win10) oversaturating (100% usage) in a minute. In win7 delaying the pci-express communication, 4 cores usage not over the 60% x core.

Could be some Unreal engine conflict/issue? I could resetting the config files?

HorseHeadProphet

HorseHeadProphet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

I too was underwhelmed with performance after setting up this rig:

Spoiler

2x 4GB R9 290s in crossfire, 16GB of DDR3-1600, quad core phenom @3.40

at Ultra settings, most maps I average about 75 FPS. With heavy action on the screen it's even less. I look at the super-fluid, 120 fps+ looking streaming videos and wonder how to achieve that. Probably I need a PCI Express 3.0 mobo, this rig is only 2.0. Could the CPU be the bottleneck? I have a liquid cooled i7 board just sitting around, I am going to switch to that this week and test the results. I think it would be good to have documented what setups and hardware work best with the game.

The Hawken forum's a forum, but it's like the only one you get yelled at for using.

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

differences between PCIe 3.0 and 2.0 is marginal imo.  Phenoms are a bit old so I would guess that's a bottleneck but it's tough to say.

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

I have a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard and run a AMD FX-8350 @ 4.6ghz. I have a EVGA GTX 780 ACX GPU with a moderate overclock. I get a average of 120 to 140 FPS in Hawken. I'm sorry but I don't get the framerate drop either although I have heard of it in the past. When I first started Hawken back in 2012 I had a AMD 5350 GPU and it did get framerate drop after extended playing. While I can't say so for a fact, IMO there is a possible correlation between the AMD GPU and the FPS drop. That fact that it does not affect them all is irrelevant since they are not all made at the same plant and there tends to be some variations in the manufacturing process between units. Much like the cpu variations cause them to be able to overclocked at different speeds. So it is possible since the game was originally optimized for nvidia there may still be residual code that affects the "different" units. Yes, yes I know that was "corrected" years ago. Yeah and when I was a kid I was told Santa Claus is real and we all know the outcome of that. :D

*EDIT* BTW, thought I'd add that if you dont' know. There are two versions of directX 9. The new one does not contain some of the old calls. A good example is direct play. Some of you who like to play old games may have found you had to go find old versions of directX 9 to get those "missing" calls. Just a after thought. Oh and for a note, directX 9 is actually 19 years old. Windows 95 shipped with direct 3D but 9 itself did not come out till the first service pack 1 Feb of 1996. :)

Edited by Nov8tr, 31 May 2015 - 01:28 PM.

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

LicSqualo

LicSqualo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I'm testing Hawken with my system in a Win10 environment, :smile: ?unitl today! I play (from the 10049 to 10074 versions) with my setup very well.

Plus :thumbsup: ?, I've also a hybrid physX setup running fine with games with PhysX 2 (played, as example, with ultra settings and physX active in: Mafia II, Borderlands 1 & 2, Batman Arkham Asylum and City, Lost Planet 1, 2 & 3, Mirror's Edge) and now, surprise! work also in Hawken with DirectX12 without any patch!!! Really! THANKS MICROSOFT!!!

But with the 101xx versions, now at 10130, Hawken don't run; dropping the FPS from the start. I noted with SIV that only one core is affected by a load that increase until 100% in 50 seconds and perhaps over the 100%. So my whole system is halt running Hawken and today (because usually I reset the system) the error is sent (finally) to Microsoft to be analyzed. Obviously is a drop in the sea = few hope to be take in consideration.

I'm playing also with physX activated without any kind of patch at Blade & Soul in Win10 10130. The movement of the clothes is made by my Nvidia GT640!!! :wub: ?. Not present in the same game in Win7 environment.

lightNingGz

lightNingGz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

my AMD A8  has this issue Hawken has stopped working i don't know if that AMD cause this issue? im still can't play this game T^T

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Hmm If you check my post just a couple above yours you will see I have a AMD FX-8350 @ 4.6ghz. So I can't say for a fact the problem is or isn't AMD but I'd tenk to believe it is not. I hope everyone gets it fixed whatever the cause it. I know it must suck not being able to play Hawken.

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users