- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Waarheiden

Waarheiden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I would suggest making a chat possibility on the Hawken forum which resembles the chat on facebook e.g.

This would make me spend more time on this forum chatting with Hawken friends I know + it would make it a whole lot easier.

The messaging system now is slow when you want to have a conversation,it's like sending e-mails back and forth 100 times.

Could you make this happen? :-) Would be Axetraordinary!

Greets

:nuke: Axellence is the Mecho of Reapering what you TOW Rocket   :nuke:

SparkyJJC

SparkyJJC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

It's certainly an idea, but you can always check out the #hawkenscrim IRC channel!

• bacon_avenger, Guns_N_Rozer, Miscellaneous and 3 others like this

AXgnWyr.png

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

I guess you could add people on steam if you wanted. I'm not really sure the forums really need instant messaging.

Spoiler

reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

I enjoy a good chat time-waster somewhere on the forum, I can't really be arsed with IRC these days.

Besides, IRC is like, so last century, these days it's all about Skype rooms.

Waarheiden

Waarheiden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I know the IRC, and I like it. Alot of social / helpful people on there.It doesn't provide a possibility to whisper someone in person though.
Let alone chat with him/her.I just know this would be an improvement for me and other people in the Hawken community.  :thumbsup:  

(Unknown)157a3decb342f5

(Unknown)157a3decb342f5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

I know the IRC, and I like it. Alot of social / helpful people on there.It doesn't provide a possibility to whisper someone in person though.
Let alone chat with him/her.I just know this would be an improvement for me and other people in the Hawken community.  :thumbsup:

Actually it does, just only the people I an IRC channel. If you click on the name you should see the word "query". This opens up a private chat.

Waarheiden

Waarheiden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Oh, must of missed that. Well it's still not really practical if the person isn't in the IRC chatroom. I see it more as a social channel where you can meet other Hawken players, trade experiences and ask Hawken related questions or just questions in general.
It's not really ment for chatting with people on your friendlist imo. 

Waarheiden

Waarheiden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I guess you could add people on steam if you wanted. I'm not really sure the forums really need instant messaging.

I don't always feel like using Steam. You could use Facebook aswell, or Messenger , or Skype , or Teamspeak, or....

That's not the point. The point is that this forum could use a chat, so that more people would actually be on this forum and contribute to the
community more which leads to improvements in the Hawken Universe.

And that's what we all want, right?            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->     :yes:

Edited by Waarheiden, 04 June 2015 - 07:46 AM.

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

It's super easy to do this. Seriously. Chatngo. You can mod it to not allow messages that don't make sense, and to limit people to 1 message per 30 secs or whatever. It's free and it's good. An account creation is needed but it takes only 10 secs.

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

I think the key here is taking discussions in moderation; that is, combine the messages appropriately with each forum response. Doing that will remove the need for a real-time chat system. Demanding for anything else is just plain excessive.

TpsOr7F.png

PsychedelicGrass

PsychedelicGrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
I'd suggest the irc channel but every time I've ever been there it was pretty dead :/

What's the big fuzzy bunnyng deal? Lots of amazing people have committed suicide, and they turned out alright.

Waarheiden

Waarheiden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I think the key here is taking discussions in moderation; that is, combine the messages appropriately with each forum response. Doing that will remove the need for a real-time chat system. Demanding for anything else is just plain excessive.

It doesn't always have to be about discussions or whatever or about Hawken/Forum things.
If I just want to spend some time on this site and be able to chat here with my friends, I feel like I should be able to.
Why shouldn't this site have it where all the other ones do. It's not like i'm asking for something excessive. 
Btw, ideas are there to be spread and processed, not to be broken down by saying it's excessive to ask something YOU don't think is ok.

Anyhow, there is a message service already. Why not make it real-time so that it goes faster and easier?
Writing an e-mail for everything you have to say is excessive. And just plain obsolete imo.

Edited by Waarheiden, 04 June 2015 - 12:21 PM.

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

I'd suggest the irc channel but every time I've ever been there it was pretty dead :/

Quality over quantity, just saying.

Why shouldn't this site have it where all the other ones do. It's not like i'm asking for something excessive.

This is probably one of the worst justifications for anything.  'Other games have melee weapons and rockets for flying all the time, why shouldn't Hawken?'

See what I mean?

Anyway, I don't have a pony in this race, and I'd never use things such as these as I'm usually on the IRC channel, but I don't see it as being any real benefit and would just increase the costs of running the site, assuming the code that sends the messages back and forth lives on the same machine that runs the forum itself and isn't a 3rd party thing (which would probably incur it's own additional cost).

There are multiple ways to contact another person, in-game and out side of the game, and a wealth of communication methods that are as close to real time as can be done, so I don't see how this kind of thing would be of any real benefit. 

Just becasue we can doesn't mean we should. :smile:

Edited by bacon_avenger, 04 June 2015 - 07:48 PM.

• Draigun likes this

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

I support all new and exciting avenues for me to semi-ironically shitpost in

d1eZeG3.png

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
Wait are we discussing a public open instant forum chat, or instant chat for messaging?

Or both?

Spoiler

Waarheiden

Waarheiden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Wait are we discussing a public open instant forum chat, or instant chat for messaging?

Or both?

Instant chat for messaging is what I mean.

Waarheiden

Waarheiden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Quality over quantity, just saying.

This is probably one of the worst justifications for anything.  'Other games have melee weapons and rockets for flying all the time, why shouldn't Hawken?'

See what I mean?

Anyway, I don't have a pony in this race, and I'd never use things such as these as I'm usually on the IRC channel, but I don't see it as being any real benefit and would just increase the costs of running the site, assuming the code that sends the messages back and forth lives on the same machine that runs the forum itself and isn't a 3rd party thing (which would probably incur it's own additional cost).

There are multiple ways to contact another person, in-game and out side of the game, and a wealth of communication methods that are as close to real time as can be done, so I don't see how this kind of thing would be of any real benefit. 

Just becasue we can doesn't mean we should. :smile:

And have you read my other justifications besides that little quote that you took out of all the texts I wrote ,
or do you just like to go into one little detail and make a whole story about it like the newspapers do?

I do agree that because we can, shouldn't mean we should. But then again, if you don't try anything new just because it's possible but you think you shouldn't just because it's possible, then nothing ever happens.

And also, the cost wouldn't be a severe issue, I'm very sure of that ;-) In fact, it would be insignificant.

Why make an e-mail option and leave a real-time chat option out which makes it easier/faster to communicate?

I don't know.

Also, I feel like making an real-time chat option would make a lot of people more social around here and decrease loneliness.
Writing an e-mail to talk about a problem / cool experience isn't something you do real quickly.
When real-time chatting, you do. So it just improves the way of life , friendships and reduce the negative / supressing feels.

Edited by Waarheiden, 05 June 2015 - 11:07 AM.

Waarheiden

Waarheiden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

And have you read my other justifications besides that little quote that you took out of all the texts I wrote ,
or do you just like to go into one little detail and make a whole story about it like the newspapers do?

I do agree that because we can, shouldn't mean we should. But then again, if you don't try anything new just because it's possible but you think you shouldn't just because it's possible, then nothing ever happens.

And also, the cost wouldn't be a severe issue, I'm very sure of that ;-) In fact, it would be insignificant.

Why make an e-mail option and leave a real-time chat option out which makes it easier/faster to communicate?

I don't know.

Also, I feel like making an real-time chat option would make a lot of people more social around here and decrease loneliness.
Writing an e-mail to talk about a problem / cool experience isn't something you do real quickly.
When real-time chatting, you do. So it just improves the way of life , friendships and reduce the negative / supressing feels.

Also , not everyone has to be on Facebook / ... to chat with someone. What if they just enjoy this site and the community instead of all the 

fake friendships you find on social media, where your privacy also get's endangered?

Still really feel this could be a thing. A good thing.

PsychedelicGrass

PsychedelicGrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
You guys are basically asking for a forum integrated irc feature, why not just use the irc that already exists..?
  • bacon_avenger likes this

What's the big fuzzy bunnyng deal? Lots of amazing people have committed suicide, and they turned out alright.

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Sure I did. Since you apparently want them used in the discussion...

It doesn't always have to be about discussions or whatever or about Hawken/Forum things.

Sounds like what happens in the Official Unofficial Hawken Teamspeak and #hawkenscrim on quakenet already.

But then again, if you don't try anything new just because it's possible but you think you shouldn't just because it's possible, then nothing ever happens.

Trying something new is all fine and dandy, but reinventing the wheel or spending the time to implement something that would (probably?) be used by a very small amount of an already very small community doesn't seem like something that is worth doing.

Cite?

Do you have access to the bandwidth bills Reloaded gets for running the site? Is it a multi-year contract or a pay as you go? Is is billed by the meg used (upstream, downstream or either/or) or by the number of connections? What about the SQL database on the back end? Does the amount of space used by the DB and the web site factor into the cost? The chat plugin itself, is it 3rd party that integrates into the forum software itself (which may break future forum upgrades), or is it a stand alone thing that is looped in via something like a PHP include statement? How secure is it? How to validate that only Hawken players use it so Reloaded isn't charged for it's use by people who don't even play?

EDIT:  I should clarify a bit.  I do believe that the bandwidth used by things such as these usually and probably will be a trivial amount.  However, that's not the only thing to consider, as I listed above.  For all we know, Reloaded is skating on the edge of their allowed bandwidth consumed for the forums now, and any additional would start incurring overage payments or force an increase in the tier of allotment.

Again, IRC covers this, as does the multiple different IM clients out there already. Yahoo chat, AIM, and the old grandpa, ICQ? Not to mentioned the unknown about of smaller ones out there...

Near real time communication in a text only format is also the cause of many arguments, people getting fired, and a few scandals.

Text only is one of the worst ways to promote friendships and communicate. We loose facial expressions, body language, and tone of voice. At least with something like teamspeak, tone of voice isn't lost, which makes it much easier for others to understand when one is teasing or making a joke, which is one of the reasons why I didn't immediately get kicked out of it one night when I told Conq' that no one liked him because he was adopted. Him and Ash could tell by my tone of voice that I wasn't serious and was joking/teasing.

If I just want to spend some time on this site and be able to chat here with my friends, I feel like I should be able to.

You already can via the PM system, it's just not 'near-real time'.

Btw, ideas are there to be spread and processed, not to be broken down by saying it's excessive to ask something YOU don't think is ok.

That's what is going on now, processing the idea. Others apparently don't agree with your view of the idea.

Anyhow, there is a message service already. Why not make it real-time so that it goes faster and easier? Writing an e-mail for everything you have to say is excessive. And just plain obsolete imo.

Excessive... You have to click/select a button for reply and type in the response, then hit send. That's excessive? You do realize that an IM system is pretty much identical to how email works, just with a lot of the information hidden, right?

Edited by bacon_avenger, 05 June 2015 - 09:36 PM.

• Draigun likes this

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users