• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Who here knows about the lightning cannon? That weapon that can be found in the game's files?

Well, I talked to the Captain about making it an actual thing, and he wrote stuff down. He "noted it for future reference".

Now, here's how it works. It has two firing modes; a semi auto mode and a charged shot.

This weapon is similar to the Heat Cannon, in that the semi auto mode is best used for close to mid range and the charged shot best for mid to long range.

The difference is of course that the HC uses non-hitscan fireballs, while the Stinger (my name for it) uses hitscan bolts of electricity with no damage falloff.

Now, I say no damage falloff, but this only truly applies to the charged shot. I'll get into that further in the topic. Now, the semi auto shot fires hitscan bolts slightly slower then the firing speed of the Technician's Redox-02.

While it has no damage falloff, there is a catch; it has a restricted range, quite similar to how the Corsair-KLA's MIRV shot is restricted to a certain distance, but the Stinger's semi auto shot is considerably further then that.

The semi auto shot is best used for close to mid range. Basically, the semi auto shot deals the same amount of damage up to its maximum range, where beyond maximum range the damage goes straight to zero.

Now, for long range, you of course use the charged shot. Charging time is pretty much the same as it is for all chargeable weapons (HC, EOC, Breacher, T32 etc.).

The charged shot has an INFINITE range, with NO damage falloff. I mean, it has a range slightly shorter (if not equal) to that of a Sabot Rifle.

There is also something quite unique about the charged shot; if there are other mechs nearby, if they are close enough (maybe say, 1-5 meters away from the main target [metric system]), the electricity will arc from the main target to those surrounding mechs, spreading damage in an AoE-like fashion. This gives the Stinger some crowd control elements.

So, what do you think? Is it OP? Is it UP? Does it just not click with you? Post below!

Edited by ??ß?Ø؃??, 09 June 2015 - 03:29 PM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

hoghead

hoghead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Edited by By by, 19 December 2015 - 07:09 PM.

• HassanTheAssassin, System64 and The_Silencer like this

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

hehehe

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
Seems like another one of those "good at all ranges hitscan with special effects and no weaknesses whatsoever"-weapon suggestions.
  • CrimsonKaim, LaurenEmily and kasei like this

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Thing is, i havent decided on how much damage it will do for each mode. These are just the base mechanics, we have no actual decided values yet.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

i think the idea is cool, though in design im of the mind of the original devs of no energy weapons, though if it fired an electrically charged projectile would be cool, though if put in as described id still probably be okay with it.

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

petracles

petracles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

I'm a little put off by the AoE idea, where you could be healing next to an in-combat teammate who then just brings in damage to you by proximity. I know this can happen with splash damage with TOW's and whatnot, but still, the whole arc thing seems a bit much to me. I'd LOVE to see another burst weapon though, oh man!

talons1337

talons1337

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

in design im of the mind of the original devs of no energy weapons,

Explain Helix Repair Torch

When in doubt, attack your own team. You will still get points for it!

5Fv3Gsb.jpg

NBv9U8X.gif

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

It's a portable repair-orb carrier with infinite orb-beams.

• coldform, KOS_Baconman, FEF-FEFington and 1 other like this

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
Slow moving energy projectile that can be detonated by friendly fire for decent aoe damage...?

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

talons1337

talons1337

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Why doesn't the tech heal itself even when not firing...?

When in doubt, attack your own team. You will still get points for it!

5Fv3Gsb.jpg

NBv9U8X.gif

Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

604692-kermit.jpg

• CrimsonKaim, ticklemyiguana, LaurenEmily and 5 others like this

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

I think what the devs meant by no energy weapons was energy weapons that didn't fit into the lore. "Energy," can mean a lot of things such as heat energy or kinetic energy. A weapon that fires electricity is pretty much a 100% energy based weapon but not completely fictional like a lightsaber for instance. In fact, a lightning based weapon is by far one of the most feasible things in the game. Comparing the helix repair torch isn't fair either imo. From a design and balance standpoint the nature of the beam is for ease of use because of how worthless it would be without that. The visual effect is cosmetic. It looks cool and stands out to others. I was just thinking of another example of this the other day. The emp visual effect is 100% unrealistic. An emp is an electro-magnetic-pulse and magnetic fields bar the ones made by average sized stars are invisible to the naked eye if I remember correctly. It wouldn't have color and it sure as hell wouldn't have electricity bolts the size of trees arcing every which way.

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

The emp visual effect is 100% unrealistic. An emp is an electro-magnetic-pulse and magnetic fields bar the ones made by average sized stars are invisible to the naked eye if I remember correctly. It wouldn't have color and it sure as hell wouldn't have electricity bolts the size of trees arcing every which way.

Use your imagination. What if they are invisible but there's some sort of technology in the 'visor-helmet' thing the pilots wear to make the EMP visible.  :teehee:

• comic_sans likes this

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

That all said, whatever the stats and functionality, this lightning gun should totally shoot GREEN lightning bolts (Like the EMP has).

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

Sigil_

Sigil_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Hey. I'm that guy who dug the model out of the files. I've seen it in action too, but I promised not to disclose where or who showed me.

Its been a while since I've seen it, but you're not that far off on the mechanics of the weapon.

It functions closely to a hitscan HEAT Cannon, but it generates a ton of heat. A single charge shot will run your heat meter up to about 3/4 from the top.

There is also a 'Slug Rifle v2' in the files that I imagine is intended to go on the same mech. The v2 is just to differentiate it under the hood, for example the T-32 is called 'Flak v2' and the Reflak-35 is 'Auto shotgun v2'. It Uses the AM-SAR firing effects and has about the same ROF as the original Slug Rifle.

Both are probably assets for the 'Siege Tank' mech that Adhesive was working on before the Great Silence. Vanashinkaku, one of the old devs, said that it and the Incinerator were in development at the same time, but the Siege Tank had a complex and difficult playstyle so it was pushed back in favor of the Incinerator.

One of the designers posted a short .swf of what I assume is the Siege Tank's ability on their portfolio site. Can't figure out how to embed flash with BBCode, so have a link.

http://inthecave.mar.../flv/seige3.swf

By the way, there is some other stuff in there too, but its mostly the old Alpha mechs like Mobi and Kerby, and some newer unreleased ones like the Gedes and Ord. I could pull those out and texture them if people show an interest.

• eth0, ticklemyiguana, Kopra and 5 others like this

No melee. No lasers.

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
@Sigil: welp, that would help a lot, but the heat you described is just too much. Having 3/4 of your heat from just 1 charged shot kinda sounds ridiculous, unless it deals such an amount of damage that compensates for it.
On the subjects of Alpha mechs, do you know about these Type C chassis?: C1. 36M, Falum and Gedes? I actually have another thread somewhere about a C class sniper mech called the Inhibitor, if you could rip those out it would be great. I might be able to use at least one of those chassis for it.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Knowledge70

Knowledge70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Sounds familiar:

ArcCannon.png

Edited by Knowledge70, 09 June 2015 - 04:06 PM.

I'm optimistic.

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Also, I'd prefer it to be a primary weapon.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

HassanTheAssassin

HassanTheAssassin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

change any weapon tracer, smoke trail, or "nano-particle beam" eye candy to a straight colored line with pulse or glow, add a whiz-bang-wow sound effect, and change the wep image, you now have an energy wep/lazer/lightning whatever, no other really heavy-duty code change necessary.

easy?

:yes:

6ABoEdp.png

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I'm a little put off by the AoE idea, where you could be healing next to an in-combat teammate who then just brings in damage to you by proximity. I know this can happen with splash damage with TOW's and whatnot, but still, the whole arc thing seems a bit much to me. I'd LOVE to see another burst weapon though, oh man!

The AoE effect ONLY applies to charged shots, and for electricity to arc to other mechs those mechs have to be quite close to the main targret (I'm thinking of making the maximum arcing range identical to the maximum effective range of a Flak Cannon/Flak Breacher shot). Shooting a charged bolt on surfaces will not result in splash damage.

Also, I do not want any form of EMP involved with this weapon whatsoever. Plus, regarding your request of a burst weapon, semi auto mode = sustained damage, charged mode = burst damage (a lot, especially if other mechs are close enough).

Edited by ??ß?Ø؃??, 10 June 2015 - 06:06 AM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

If it's a repair orb carrier, then please explain what it uses to damage enemies. "destruction orbs"?

d9133aa6ec.jpg

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

matrix_03.jpg

• PepeKenobi, DeeRax, WillyW and 1 other like this

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice.

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

^ Yes, exactly.

What I have been thinking of the entire time. Just make it green.

Edited by (TDM) DeeRax, 11 June 2015 - 06:41 PM.

2XhpJes.png

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Because its healing power is so great that if it were to heal while not firing, it's systems would overload. It's built to contain the energy, which is why it has a low health pool. When it does heal others, the residual healing energy heals itself as well. When it pops its ability, it deactivates one of the 5 healing limiters it has inside. At full strength it will explode, healing everyone in a 300 meter radius to the point of death.

• DeeRax likes this

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Tech should've just had a straight-up (mech-sized) arc-welding torch. Period.
(I assumed thats what its heal beam mostly is supposed to be... But then why the vampire powers? Silliness.)

Edited by (TDM) DeeRax, 11 June 2015 - 06:59 PM.

2XhpJes.png

AxionOperandi

AxionOperandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

matrix_03.jpg

LOL, yes give me that on my mech please!!!

Edited by AxionOperandi, 11 June 2015 - 09:49 PM.

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

But then why the vampire powers? Silliness.)

It's not actually a vampire beam, although due to how it looks and its effect many seem to see it that way. That is actually the second limiter being partially deactivated, firing a beam that heals so profusely that the victim's axe get overloaded, thereby causing actual damage. Much like the normal heal beam, though, the residual healing energy is effecting the Tech itself.

However, the energy is recolored. Due to the powerful healing capabilities of the Tech it's mistakenly named "Vampire Beam" had to be colored different, as to allow other tech pilots to be able to see if they are healing someone or healing someone to death. Accidents have happened before. One Axe pilot was exposed to the black beam and, over the radio, his teammates report mutterings of a euphoric feeling before promptly exploding. The pieces were put back together but, sadly, the pilot died shortly afterward.

• DeeRax likes this

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

matrix_03.jpg

Image won't finish loading, cant see anything Oh, there it is.

That would probably be what a charged shot looks like.

Edited by ??ß?Ø؃??, 17 June 2015 - 12:31 AM.

• The_Silencer likes this

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Ok I haven't read the whole thread...

So wait is this a primary or a secondary?

If its a primary then it won't be using I'd mouse.

I would suggest why not make it like the helix repair torch but used only in attacking?
I know a lot of people don't like the tech and therefore won't like this suggestion but yeah I think if we could balance it and make some differences, I think it might be good XD

if its a secondary then... Idk...

Maybe default fire would be [what I suggested up there] and alt would be like ... Idk

Ima just suggest this cuz its the only think I could come up with .... A heat absorber? Makes it become more supportive but not aoe? Idk we already got incin but yeah I'm just writing the only idea I have....

Idk...

Flame me all you guys want

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy bunny into
 (") (") your signature to help him gain world domination XD

And if you dont .... 

bloody_keyboard.gif    <-------------- ME and Bunny

(This is also me when u no cooperate in game XD)

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Bumpeh...

Just in case anyone is confused, when I say "electricity arcing" I do not mean having full damage being spread across all targets. For example, if a charged shot did 80 (NOT finalized value) and there was another mech nearby, the damage would be divided and spread and both the main target and surrounding target will take 40 (...or have the main target take 60 and surrounding target take 20). But then again depending on the heat rate and charge speed (possibly other stats too) it may end up working in the way that all surrounding targets would take 80. This is designed to be a crowd control weapon, after all.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Maxunarul

Maxunarul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Like a Taser.....Mech!

Hopefully approve, I would like to do this to a Scout to see if stop jumping  :thumbsup:

Edited by Maxunarul, 28 June 2015 - 05:34 PM.

6_1.jpg

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Wait... I read your post wrong Max XD

But anyway this weapon is staying far away from the Scout. God, if that mech got the Stinger we would all ƒucking die.

Edited by ??ß?Ø؃??, 28 June 2015 - 05:57 PM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

I like the concept of a charged and standard fire mode for a weapon like this.

Maybe, maybe this weapon could inspire a new G2 B class mech.. a platform QCQ (or close combat) oriented... even a bit more specialized than, for instance, the actual G2 Assault. Following these lines, one B mech equipped with two of these *E-Cannons could also cloack to ...

Hey.. this could be pretty scary... isn't it? ;)

edit: without edits here! hahah... it's Ukay

Edited by The_Silencer, 29 June 2015 - 10:55 AM.

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice.

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
No more hitscan. How pathetic do you want the skill demand of Hawken to be?

In my opinion Heat should deal more damage than the Flak or any hitscan shotgun in all aspects.

No projectiles no weapon.

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

No more hitscan. How pathetic do you want the skill demand of Hawken to be?

In my opinion Heat should deal more damage than the Flak or any hitscan shotgun in all aspects.

No projectiles no weapon.

me->(?°?°)?? (\ . 0 .)\<-you

Edited by ??ß?Ø؃??, 30 June 2015 - 03:21 AM.

• CrimsonKaim likes this

d9133aa6ec.jpg

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

More possibilities would be having this E-cannon progressively increasing its damage as you continue adquiring your target (maintaining the focus on it). Additionally it could be balanced not only by that but also by forcing its user to be very precise at aiming or having the lightning missing your target with ease.

et cetera... I see a number of ways to get this potential weapon well polished and working well in the game. It's viable as flamethrowers are as well.

The game needs a weapon like this or a new mech based on what we posted in here? I'm not so sure on that; I've to admit it.. =)

MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

probably wasnt allowed to do better, it would probably be difficult to make a proper mech tech say, one that mounts its patiént whilst repairing, or other complex nanobots etc so probably got told not to do it right but cheap

TronX33

TronX33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

It's not actually a vampire beam, although due to how it looks and its effect many seem to see it that way. That is actually the second limiter being partially deactivated, firing a beam that heals so profusely that the victim's axe get overloaded, thereby causing actual damage. Much like the normal heal beam, though, the residual healing energy is effecting the Tech itself.

--SNIP--

The definition of healing is, " The process of making or becoming sound or healthy again (http://www.oxforddic...english/healing)

The definition of death is, " The action or fact of dying or being killed; the end of the life of a person or organism (http://www.oxforddic...n_english/death)

As being dead would not be healthy nor would you be sound, it is impossible to "heal someone to death."

TronX33

TronX33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Wait... I read your post wrong Max XD

But anyway this weapon is staying far away from the Scout. God, if that mech got the Stinger we would all ƒucking die.

I think he is referring to hitting the Scout with the lightning cannon, or "taser' on the Taser mech someone suggested in a a earlier reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users