• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

I feel a little better lately even tho it's not a "fell better" kind of situation. It's just that now people share connectivity problems with yer boy lately. It least to a degree.

Dallas servers are still not as good, and they as troublesome as it can get. If you don't agree about this point then you're lucky!

Last dev Q&A the idea of servers in Chi town was brought up and I'm damn sure people very positively reacted to it.

Chicago isn't very far from Dallas for west coast players, so at worst it will be an added 10ms to their ping, and it will be a significant improvement to east coast players and non NA players who enjoy playing in NA servers, especially the hundreds of African players.

Share your thoughts about the idea.

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

especially the hundreds of African players.

One day, Elite. One day.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

also good for the wildlings beyond the wall (canadians)

• Robscancer, Lioot, Elite_is_salty and 1 other like this

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

this would rob central americans of their only ~100ping servers.

no

"in addition to" would be a better phraseology.

• Hek_naw likes this

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

GGGanjaMan

GGGanjaMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Or just make the dallas servers better. They used to be really stable and a good compromise between the west/east regions - just fix the packet loss issues (too much rubberbanding/teleporting going on everywhere these days).

Also I don't see why the NA region has to cater to the minority that play here from other continents - to argue it would benefit those connecting here from across the ocean to the detriment of those actually in NA makes no sense. I'm willing to bet there are more US West and Central US players than EU/African players for example.

• Amidatelion likes this

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

I'm willing to bet there are more US West and Central US players than EU/African players for example.

Nope, and you'd think Hawken would be much, much better populated from it's own home Turf:

http://home.xshade.c...n-distribution/

Dev Alert:

simply by virtue of is location, Dallas is geographically central to a huge area with no other servers nearby.

the stabilizing and improving existing servers seems the better route. some of those NA stats are made up of Mexico, Costa Rica, El Salvador (all south or southeast of Dallas), the Caribbean, etc, as Dallas wins by at least 50 to 100ms for some, over SA or USW which makes Dallas much more playable (their opinion). i play with some of them several nights a week, and ping is just as important to them as it is to everyone else.

Edited by em1o, 23 June 2015 - 05:58 PM.

• MechFighter5e3bf9 likes this

nRJ1C9n.png

GGGanjaMan

GGGanjaMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Those numbers actually correct/accurate? It says 4495 users overall today. And the all-time numbers puts overall numbers in the hundreds of thousands. Did we ever have such a population? oO

• EM1O likes this

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

you could probably divide that Grand Total by half, figuring 1-stop shoppers, and smurf accounts.  However the daily tab may be reasonably accurate. i was doing a current activity snoop, and there were a steady new registration tick of about one player every 30 minutes, around the clock. that 4495 was likely the total unique user count, which seems reasonable. it comes to an average of 187 unique users per hour, which matches up to herokuapp's census. its about 173 as i'm posting this.

• comic_sans and Hek_naw like this

nRJ1C9n.png

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Also I don't see why the NA region has to cater to the minority that play here from other continents - to argue it would benefit those connecting here from across the ocean to the detriment of those actually in NA makes no sense.

Cater is the wrong word.  But "yes", NA players do benefit from providing lower pings to "those connecting from across the ocean".  The benefit for US players is two-fold:

1. Hawken needs more players and we all want full matches.  Non-US players come to the US servers because of a world-wide Hawken player shortage - good for both of us.

2. Whether the connection has a 200ms ping or a 400ms ping, the non-US players ARE coming to the US servers.  When they show up, do you want to deal with them teleporting and rubber-banding and slowing down the server for everyone?

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users