9 replies to this topic

OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

About me:

I am OmegaNull of Hawken. As far as gameplay goes, I have approx. 650+ hours in game and over 400 hours on the Scout. Currently, I would consider myself somewhere in the top as far as Scout pilots go.

What is the Scout?

The Scout is an A-Class (lightweight) axe (mech) that specializes in CQC and medium range combat. It is also the agile and fastest mech in the game along with one of the easier mechs to use. However, its low health and ease of overheating makes it a mech that is not forgiving. This is a classic case of easy to use difficult to master and should be considered a glass cannon. 

A Simple mechanic Overview

Positioning
This is a may seem very basic but it is one of the most important aspects of the entire game. Due to the high speed and various other variables of the game, knowing and understanding the movement system is critical. This plays heavily into your battles with other players and/or when you are fighting in a team based game defending a point. Paying attention to radar, getting a jump on an enemy, lining up the next shot, or even just simply knowing when and where to heal. These all fall under this. This also leads into the next rule.

Aim
Another very basic rule, but this is key as well. Because of the limited turn cap of the game, aiming is something that is extremely important. Using your ability to dodge and position yourself correctly to offset how much you have to aim helps in quickening your ability to land shots. Also, maintaining a constant bead on someone moving quickly will allow you to bring down even the fastest mechs. Timing and placing a well aimed shot can be the difference between life and death.

Avoidance
Knowing and understanding the movement mechanics of the game allow you excel in many aspects, however, not taking a hit is also key to survival in the long run. Judging the time it takes for a TOW to reload or when to dodge a hellfire can help immensely. Even known how far your TOW travels over time can be huge. Reading your opponent and judging what to do and when. Knowing when and how to use cover or obstacles (EVEN YOUR OWN TEAMMATES) will help you survive longer and stay in the fight. 

Strengths and Weaknesses 

Positives:

• Fastest mech in the game
  • Ability regens fuel and gives speed boost of 6 m/s for 5 seconds (?)
  • High burst potential
  • High "effective" health - Damage taken + Damage Avoided
  • Depending on load-out, can be very strong at distance (medium) or close range
  • Very strong corner-play and flanking ability
  • Very strong in 1v1
  • Best radar in the game
  • Easy mech to play
  • One of the best mechs for flanking

Negatives:

• Second Lowest health pool in the game
  • Smallest fuel tank in the world
  • Difficult to impossible to play at range
  • Difficult to use in team setting (when faced with good teams)
  • Overheats quickly
  • Cannot withstand long engagements

Weapons

Mini-Flak
A high rate of fire burst weapon that is used for sustained fire. It currently boasts the highest DPS in the game but is also one of the most difficult to use when on the scout. It requires you to maintain constant aim on your enemy and exposing yourself to harm. Also weakens the scouts ability to fight during corner-play and can hamper its movement ability (due to shear mechanics of weapon). 

Flak
A burst weapon which also has a medium rate of fire. Its damage output is only held back by its range. This weapon requires close quarters combat and extensive movement to stay out of harms way. When coupled with the TOW and great positioning, it becomes a lethal combination. Currently held as one of the highest burst combos. In a fight where cover is easily found, this weapon allows for very quick peekaboo tactics or is great for an ambush. 

Heat Cannon
This weapon is the the only weapon that the Scout can use to gain range. Its has two variable fire rates and damage output. Press and holding the primary fire button charges the cannon and allows for a higher damaged projectile. Clicking the primary fire button allows for rapid succession cannon. Each shell boasts a large AOE (Area of Effect), so direct fire is not 100% necessary to be very effective. However, this poses an issue when fighting up close. Because of the AOE, accidental damage to one's self is very easy to do. 

TOW
The secondary weapon on the scout and one of the best most versatile weapons in the game. It can be used for ranged combat or close quarters (but you take splash damage). It also has an alternate firing mechanism that allows the projectile to be blown up in mid-air causing an air burst. This allows it to be an effective tool in both close and ranged combat along with taking on aerial enemies. Hell, you can even use it for denying movement to an enemy. If you think you may miss a shot, it is possible to blow it up and do splash damage as well.

How its played

When using the Flak Cannon, moving into to position and constantly trying to out maneuver your opponent is critical. You are trying to constantly move to stay out of line of sight or to dodge incoming fire. Watch your heat, aim well, and you will come out victorious. 

A quick demonstration playing a Scout using a Flak. 

When using a heat cannon, you want to try to aim more for the feet of your opponent than the body. The splash damage will deal high amounts of damage and it makes it easier overall to aim. Additionally, you can play similarly to using a flak cannon, you want to try and keep a couple of mech lengths away from your opponent because of the AOE. Generally, when attacking an enemy, landing a fully charged het cannot is generally a wise choice, then afterward you can start quickly firing off uncharged shots and TOW volleys. You can take advantage of the range given by the heat cannon to harass the enemy from a distance away. 

Using a mini-flak should be similar to using a Berserker or a CRT, except with higher mobility. Maintain constant aim on the enemy and land your shots and follow up with your TOW. In this instance, lead with your TOW, not the mini-flak. Do not hold down the primary fire button but instead click it. This will allow you to have higher accuracy. 

Heat cannon can be used for semi-close quarters to even long distance shots. The weapon's ability to quickly fire off devastating rounds, splash damage, and great accuracy allow for fantastic corner play or simple ariel denial. Be careful not to let it go off too close.

Using the ability of the Scout is something that should be saved when needed. Generally, using it to try and escape or to gain an upper hand in a battle is how it should be used, but it can also allow you to get from one place to another quicker because of the fuel regen and speed bonus. Use this sparingly.

Tactics

When using the Scout, try to use your environment and even other players as cover. Constantly be on the move and make sure to pay attention to your surroundings and the radar. The radar on the Scout is the best in the game. It is important to constantly be aware and vigilant. When attacking, be smart. It is not always wise to dive into an enemy. Using cover and peeking out to take a pot shot then tucking back is a great tactic. However, when caught in the open, you want to try to read your opponent and react accordingly. Trying to avoid enemy fire and positioning to take proper shots is important. Generally, if at all possible, attempting to get behind, off to the side, or even under an (a hovering) enemy is also a valid tactic.

During team play, generally staying with the team and going after stragglers and the weak is a wise choice. Sometimes boosting in, killing or damaging/harassing, popping your ability and getting out can be affective. Pay close attention to your radar at all times and generally try to out flank the enemy team, taking out the weak and wounded. If an opportunity presents itself, take it. It is okay to die in the glory of battle after taking on and killing 1, 2, or even 3 enemy mechs (if possible). Be sure to bring one or two down with you. 

How to kill a scout?

Killing a Scout is something that is rather straight forward though not always easy. The best thing to do is to attempt to get the Scout out into the open is best. Here, there is no cover they can hide behind. Maintaining constant fire and pressure, then firing your TOW after they dodge or attempting to air-burst if it gets just past them is the best tactic. Do your best to keep them in front of you and attempting to dodge their incoming TOWs. If taking on a Scout with another Scout, it is best to attempt to out-maneuver and land your shots effectively. 

If caught in a corner fight, do not chase. Instead, apply pressure and react accordingly. Apply pressure to force the Scouts hand. 

Recommended Items and Internals

This section is how I play Scout but varies from person to person. I generally use the following

Internals
Advanced Repair Kit/Repair Kit
Extractor/Basic Extractor
Deflectors
Fail Safe
Air Compressor 

Currently, my main Scout build has Air Compressor, Deflectors, and Basic Extractor. 

You can make your scout be able to tank like a boss by using Advanced Repair Kit, Extractor, and Basic Deflectors. If you are on 2-3 repair orbs, my god. ORB LORD!

Items
Repair Orbs (I use MKIII)
Shield
Barrier
Detonator
EMP

I primarily run Shield and Repair Orbs. However, it really depends on what you are going for. Lately I have been doing 3 orbs and an emp (anti-shield).

Edited by OmegaNull, 02 April 2015 - 09:47 AM.

• SGRock, MechFighter5e3bf9, GalaxyRadio and 2 others like this

Scootin' 'n Shoot | Bawlin' 'n Brawlin' | Ragin' 'n Raidin'

ca62ab9a-2ce9-4a20-b368-0cde03b1331d.png

"Velocitas et Eradico"

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

yeah....great Tips for Scooooot :thumbsup: 

cybertormentor

cybertormentor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

trying be just good with Scout, not how omega, sure, but is dificult. 

Thx for the guide dude!

phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
You should have spent more time in the merits of the different internal setups in the grate guide.

The orb lord setup is very effective, though I'd recommend the basic fuel converter as the 1 slot internal to give ya enough fuel to fully own that orb still have enough fuel to counter attack.

For my own personal play style -- heavily focused on dm, 1v1s, and sharing the virtue of chaos -- I prefer an air compressor paired with an advanced reconstructor. In 1v1 with headphones I can circle a pillar long enough to regain the health advantage, or run and juke till the regen starts then turn and stalk the hunters, and if you like to find a nice safe spot to heal, the regen has usually started by the time I've squatted for a very short repair.

And air compressor + extractor + basic fuel converter is a viable compromise build.

TangledMantis

TangledMantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

/exercises necro thread resurrection abilities. 

After putting 200 hours into Scout, I would add that AC is a crutch and a curse for practicing players. Scout is slow as hell in the air and works much better on the ground. I dont use AC anymore and am doing better than ever. It was painful at first, but the extra fuel i save and added dexterity of staying grounded most of the time makes up for it. AC is meta because it adds a dimension to any mechs movement, but its not worth the loss of internals slots on a Scout from what ive found. 

Make a smurf and force yourself to stay grounded with the Scout. Get adept at it and then try to return to the air. You'll find you like the pavement better.

OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

I agree with you. 

Scootin' 'n Shoot | Bawlin' 'n Brawlin' | Ragin' 'n Raidin'

ca62ab9a-2ce9-4a20-b368-0cde03b1331d.png

"Velocitas et Eradico"

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

AC is more fun.

• CoshCaust likes this

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

/exercises necro thread resurrection abilities. 

After putting 200 hours into Scout, I would add that AC is a crutch and a curse for practicing players. Scout is slow as hell in the air and works much better on the ground. I dont use AC anymore and am doing better than ever. It was painful at first, but the extra fuel i save and added dexterity of staying grounded most of the time makes up for it. AC is meta because it adds a dimension to any mechs movement, but its not worth the loss of internals slots on a Scout from what ive found. 

Make a smurf and force yourself to stay grounded with the Scout. Get adept at it and then try to return to the air. You'll find you like the pavement better.

It only diminishes the scouts strengths if you over use it. When you only use it to line up the perfect shot or to throw in an unexpected air dodge, it is amazing on the scout. That all in terms of flak scout. Mini-Flak scout I also prefer to play grounded.  As for heat scout, the AC enhances the heat scout quite a bit. IMO

• CoshCaust likes this

Axe-Attack Check us out! Stream I stream spasmodically.

TPG Hawken Admin.

TPG 3 has concluded! If you are interested in participating in TPG Season 4 gather a group and form a team or try and join an existing team! Stay tuned to the forums for updates on the details of TPG Season 4.

MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

i have just started to try the air compressor today and i tell you my raider is double effective at landing both barrels on a scout i love it

CoshCaust

CoshCaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

On AC: True to all of the above; it can hinder you if you use it incorrectly, but it certainly has its place.

On Orblord: It's ridiculously powerful around more than one orb. In that context, you become disproportionately able to keep fighting. For this reason - it's a crutch - you shouldn't get attached to the setup, because assuming Hawken rises again, Orblord will end up rightfully nerfed; and you will be wondering why you suddenly seem to suck horrendously as a Scout.
I used to use Orblord, then I started respecting myself and others.

Edited by CoshCaust, 02 March 2016 - 03:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users