• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Haven't been seeing too many unique mech concept suggestions (not that I've looked past the first ten topics or that they're really what's needed right now), so I decided to share one that I've been thinking about for a bit now. The concept is a Gasser, or smoker, or fumigator, w/e.  I've always been rather fond of the use of smoke grenades in tactical games (loved it in Valkyria Chronicles and I played a bit of Insurgency where they were the only method of hiding from AI's) and I thought it could as well bring about the opportunity for a kind of 'mage' class in this game. Course this isn't an RPG, but, well, we have tanks, assassins, vanguards, etc, so why not.

Here's my doodle of what I first imagined it to look like (please excuse how rough or lame it is, just doodled while taking a break from work stuffs):

(I have no idea if that attached correctly..)

So, here are the details & no, I don't pay attention to the numbers, so I'll just compare:

Passive (not really a passive, but not sure what else to call it):

- The Gasser does not overheat, instead the overheat meter is replaced by a pressure gauge. Pressure refills over time just like regular fuel and needs to be refilled in order to use the G4-S.

Ability:

- M1-B4Y: Fires an electric surge (not sure from where) that detonates any clouds of gas within its stream. Can be interrupted by enemy bodies, but deals damage and will conduct to other nearby enemies. Range is about 4 C-class bodies. When the G4-S is in nozzle-mode, the spewed gas is ignited into a flamethrower for as long as the G4-S is in use. Detonated gas clouds deal similar damage to a tow rocket (with similar self-damage) and the flamethrower deals continuous damage that is to be determined. 40~50 second cool-down.

Secondary Weapon:

- G4-S: Launches smoke grenades (cylindrical) that bounce twice (even off other mechs if possible) then detonate leaving a gas cloud which persists for about 25 seconds. It conceals every mech it contains both visibly and from the radar), and is about 3 mechs in diameter. Middle-click switches over to an alternate nozzle that continuously spews forth gas at close-range. Nozzle gas does not persist Smoke grenades launch further than regular grenades and ricochet at a lower velocity than the Rev-GL. Delay is similar to or longer than the grenade launcher's. 4 smoke grenades completely depletes the pressure gauge as well as about 6 seconds with the nozzle.

Primary Weapons:

1. TES-4K: An electric fork that fires single electric bolts at enemies after charging for 2 seconds (cannot be fired uncharged). Electricity automatically conducts to nearby mechs, including allies (difficult to use when crowded). Can detonate gas clouds but requires three charges compared to the ability. Projectile behavior is similar to the incinerator's M4MA but with projectiles about the size of the heat cannon's.

2. Heat cannon: You know what this is.

3. EOC Repeater: You know what this is.

Speed - Similar speed to an incinerator with better vertical movement. Fuel gauge is about the same as well.

Armor - Similar to a Vanguard out of turret-mode.

Not sure If I missed anything, but that's it. 

Hope you guys see potential in it.

What the Heca-

Hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Wow, I guess my image didn't work. Can anyone share how to attach images for dummies?

What the Heca-

Lioot

Lioot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Wow, I guess my image didn't work. Can anyone share how to attach images for dummies?

I like the idea of a pressure gage, except that's just another game mechanic they have to make and implement.

As for images, I'm pretty sure just upload the image to a site like imgur then click the image button, its next to the <>

Sp3ctrr

Sp3ctrr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

am I the only one who thought of a giant ass on legs?

no?

Just me?

Welcome_To_The_Enclave.png

Spoiler

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

1. Go to imgur.com

2. Select upload image

3. Select your image(s)

4. Select upload images

5. At the right side of the page there should be a bunch of URL's. Select the one that is labelled "Direct link (email & IM)"

5. Click the image icon on the reply area (left of the <> icon)

6. Paste your URL in

7. ???

8. Profit

Make sure to put spoiler tags around large images

[spoiler] -Image goes here- [/spoiler]
/ is important

Spoiler

Hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

1. Go to imgur.com

2. Select upload image

3. Select your image(s)

4. Select upload images

5. At the right side of the page there should be a bunch of URL's. Select the one that is labelled "Direct link (email & IM)"

5. Click the image icon on the reply area (left of the <> icon)

6. Paste your URL in

7. ???

8. Profit

Make sure to put spoiler tags around large images

[spoiler] -Image goes here- [/spoiler]
/ is important

Thanks for the help, but I keep getting a "you are not allowed to use that image extension on this community". It's a .jpg file and I tried compressing it to 50KB as well as tried out every URL imgur gave me, still no juice.

What the Heca-

Hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

I like the idea of a pressure gage, except that's just another game mechanic they have to make and implement.

As for images, I'm pretty sure just upload the image to a site like imgur then click the image button, its next to the <>

Thanks for your help as well. And yeah, I considered how much of a burden it would be for the devs to implement the different features, and I sort of just gave up on conserving since fog mechanics seem pretty difficult anyhow.

no?

Just me?

Hahaha, I actually thought of that as well. You could say that it's what inspired my design, if only it would work. :/

Edited by Hecatoncheires, 14 August 2015 - 08:04 AM.

What the Heca-

Moeaswordusrex

Moeaswordusrex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sounds like an interesting idea.

Damn it seth!

Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Thanks for the help, but I keep getting a "you are not allowed to use that image extension on this community". It's a .jpg file and I tried compressing it to 50KB as well as tried out every URL imgur gave me, still no juice.

The URL should be something resembling this: i.imgur.com/Ex4mPLe.jpg

Spoiler

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

i like most of this, though i think think the fog will make lower to medium comps eat dirt, but maybe someday.

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

Hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

The URL should be something resembling this: i.imgur.com/Ex4mPLe.jpg

Spoiler

So, my link looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/26Grdc2.jpg

But it still doesn't work, even after trying to remove the http://. Not sure if I'm allowed to, but I guess I'll just type my link in instead of embedding it.

Thanks.

i like most of this, though i think think the fog will make lower to medium comps eat dirt, but maybe someday.

Oh, I didn't think of that. Optimization would be a pretty heavy reason not to implement fog... Hawken isn't too much of a lower-end computer game, though, and other games have it with similar graphics, so it might still work well.

What the Heca-

Hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

So, seems my image doesn't work exclusively on my main post for some reason....Maybe it's a content restriction...? Too many characters? edit: Actually, it doesn't let me edit anything on my main post, so it wasn't the link's fault. Not sure if this is an error or intended.

Well, here it is in all its glory:

26Grdc2.jpg

Edited by Hecatoncheires, 14 August 2015 - 08:55 AM.

• HHJFTRU likes this

What the Heca-

SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

no?

Just me?

So, seems my image doesn't work exclusively on my main post for some reason....Maybe it's a content restriction...? Too many characters? edit: Actually, it doesn't let me edit anything on my main post, so it wasn't the link's fault. Not sure if this is an error or intended.

26Grdc2.jpg

Guess it wasn't just you, Spook. ;P

cUB1aCW.jpg?2

Moeaswordusrex

Moeaswordusrex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

26Grdc2.jpg

Wow, nice sketch, the more art I see, the more I think I should give up.

Damn it seth!

Hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Wow, nice sketch, the more art I see, the more I think I should give up.

Thanks, but no, man, don't give up. Funny to say, but knowing you're not good enough* is just the first step. I mean, thinking you're good enough just means that's where you end. Just keep working to improve and you definitely will. If you're dead serious about pursuing art/design, you have a ton of resources to learn from. Go to [Youtube]. Look at works by great artists and learn from them; for example, Scott Robertson has tons of videos you can learn from. Get your hands on his books and work on your fundamentals. Watch live streams like LevelUp. Do it.

Edited by Hecatoncheires, 14 August 2015 - 08:53 PM.

• Moeaswordusrex likes this

What the Heca-

Moeaswordusrex

Moeaswordusrex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Thanks, but no, man, don't give up. Funny to say, but knowing you're not good enough* is just the first step. I mean, thinking you're good enough just means that's where you end. Just keep working to improve and you definitely will. If you're dead serious about pursuing art/design, you have a ton of resources to learn from. Go to [Youtube]. Look at works by great artists and learn from them; for example, Scott Robertson has tons of videos you can learn from. Get your hands on his books and work on your fundamentals. Watch live streams like LevelUp. Do it.

Damn it seth!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users