- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Pelax

Pelax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

After watching this art section of the once great forum sinking in the raw sewage i've decided to help some of you - those more 'creative' type of fans. Hawken encouraged me in 2012 to try a different approach in my own art career. I've switched from traditional drawing/painting into 3D stuff. I am not even close to the legendary Erathic but still Hawken was a truly inspirational and those fan arts i've made back there were the milestones for me personaly. I've worked on such titles now like 'Dead Island' and more recent 'Dying Light'. And i've 'almost' worked on the Witcher 3 ;-) So.. thank you Hawken!

There're a couple of cheap or even free programs to try 3D: blender, modo, zbrush and even fusion 360 for industrial modeling. Check out Cinema 4d and 3DS Max too - yep.. they're quite expensive but with huge discounts for students. Cinema4d was the most fun of them all - with easy to learn UI and most 'logical' workflow. Zbrush has amazing potential.. yet is very hard to master.

So.. how to create a decent Hawken wallpaper? It's quite simple even for lazy people:

1. Model some mech or if you're lazy or - like me - don't have too much free time lately - grab some Hawken models floating aroung the net!

2. Put them into renderer - the best and the easiest way to do that for me personaly was Marmoset Toolbag 2 (real-time renderer)

3. Grab the render and make some tweaks here and there (color correction, gradient and stuff) - you don't have to own Adobe Photoshop... Just grab free Krita or Gimp instead! Or try the FotoSketcher to change your render into a more 'traditional' piece of art

and voilā! Done in less than 15 minutes!

hawken_marmoset_test_by_pelax-d9gpp2k.jp

And after having fun with free FotoSketcher it could look like this:

hawken_fotosketcher_test_by_pelax-d9gpqq

or like this! Behold the power of cheating in drawing and painting of Fotosketcher!

fotosketcher_image1_by_pelax-d9gq2ae.jpg

Check out the Marmoset Toolbag 'lite' in action: https://www.artstati...ion-in-marmoset

Have fun!

Edited by Pelax, 14 November 2015 - 07:18 PM.

• nepacaka, Knowledge70, JackVandal and 4 others like this

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

ZOMG

Unused lightning cannon!

d9133aa6ec.jpg

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

And a naked SA hawkins!  Neat stuff, pelax!

100% Hamburger | #becomeinpopcorn

AOTbYIL.png

Aelita

Aelita

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

That looks neat. Came here to say that.

But grab a renderer and tweak some stuff made me giggle.

Here is my 3D Design "how to":

1. Model some shizzle (donīt forget to save).

2. Profit.

But srsly it looks very nice. saved.

• Pelax likes this

jjm1

jjm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

It only takes 30 minutes to open the software, scan all the buttons, and then quit with the satisfaction you dodged a life sentence.  :tongue:

If your insanely dedicated to it though -not to over-exaggerate or anything- but you literally become a god.

• Pelax likes this

Pelax

Pelax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Well.. learning could be hard sometimes but nowadays you have tons of tutorials on youtube for free. Look at this guy's channel for example:

https://www.youtube....h2005/playlists

Not to mention Autodesk' learning channels or thousands of hobbists around the globe sharing their knowledge. Learning was never so easy!

Pelax

Pelax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

That looks neat. Came here to say that.

But grab a renderer and tweak some stuff made me giggle.

That's exactly how I have started with this piece:

hawken_beer_from_start_to_finish_by_pela

From simple concept to final touches. I didn't even know how to set up a camera properly (what 36mm or 50mm lens are for), how to import custom textures or pose the model via rigging - absolutely nothing as i was a total newbie in 3d. All i had back then was a badly iluminated low poly model render done during spare time at work. The rest as just tweaks and paintovers.

It was fun to learn new things!

• Aelita and MomOw like this

Boycey0211

Boycey0211

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

that program used to create these wallpapers?

Badtings

Badtings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

After watching this art section of the once great forum sinking in the raw sewage i've decided to help some of you - those more 'creative' type of fans. Hawken encouraged me in 2012 to try a different approach in my own art career. I've switched from traditional drawing/painting into 3D stuff. I am not even close to the legendary Erathic but still Hawken was a truly inspirational and those fan arts i've made back there were the milestones for me personaly. I've worked on such titles now like 'Dead Island' and more recent 'Dying Light'. And i've 'almost' worked on the Witcher 3 ;-) So.. thank you Hawken!

There're a couple of cheap or even free programs to try 3D: blender, modo, zbrush and even fusion 360 for industrial modeling. Check out Cinema 4d and 3DS Max too - yep.. they're quite expensive but with huge discounts for students. Cinema4d was the most fun of them all - with easy to learn UI and most 'logical' workflow. Zbrush has amazing potential.. yet is very hard to master.

So.. how to create a decent Hawken wallpaper? It's quite simple even for lazy people:

1. Model some mech or if you're lazy or - like me - don't have too much free time lately - grab some Hawken models floating aroung the net!

Learning c4d now. Having problems with texturing mech parts. 

I've watched a few tutorials on it, however the models they've used were fairly simple. What's your advice on unwrapping complex models for texturing?

8CyRDl7.gifGYM1W9I.png

Pelax

Pelax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

that program used to create these wallpapers?

Umodel to extract the game model, 3ds Max to pose and render, finaly photoshop for paint over.

Learning c4d now. Having problems with texturing mech parts. 

I've watched a few tutorials on it, however the models they've used were fairly simple. What's your advice on unwrapping complex models for texturing?

I've never used C4D for texturing or UV mapping and since 2013 i don't have the access to it anymore, sorry. But definitely watching few tutorials on 'how to unwrap/UV' won't be enough. As for models used in Hawken - they're low poly models with textures (normal, specular and diffuse) baked from high-poly originals. Here's an interview about the overall workflow:

http://area.autodesk...--hawken-mech--

But remember they've had few guys making models and everyone of them had their favourite programs to do the modeling, UVing, texturing. My favourite combo for example is modo+zbrush for modeling and UVing and mudbox for painting the textures.

You could try Substance Painter for quick texturing work since - as i presume -  you already have the in-game UV'ed model (with baked normal, specular maps). Check those tutorials:

https://www.youtube....thmic/playlists

or grand master Pavlovich (guy behind Halo models) quick intro into Substance Painter:

https://www.youtube....UZSFzyidouqwSQP

Good luck. Have fun!

• Badtings likes this

Badtings

Badtings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Thx for those tips.  Keep up the cool work! :D

• Aelita likes this

8CyRDl7.gifGYM1W9I.png

Pelax

Pelax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Nothing special - this one was an experiment: the cell-shaded infiltrator. I thought i'd share!

hawken_cellshaded_by_pelax-d9ictwp.jpg

• Miscellaneous, Meraple and Badtings like this

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Nothing special - this one was an experiment: the cell-shaded infiltrator. I thought i'd share!

hawken_cellshaded_by_pelax-d9ictwp.jpg

Its gots no arms though lol ":P

Puck Flinging-Nade Lobbing-Troll Tech

r4GY0PF.jpg

::eoc Pred::Eoc/HC Infil::Vulcanador::Hawkins Tech::EOC Raider::

" I play on north American servers with a 200Ping to give you cry babies a chance"

2XhpJes.png

"Nothing says Good morning Like a well placed Nade"

(DPs) Xerrial

(DPs) Xerrial

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Its gots no arms though lol ":P

Taxi edition.

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Ahhh

9379.jpg

Now i Def See the resemblance thanks

Puck Flinging-Nade Lobbing-Troll Tech

r4GY0PF.jpg

::eoc Pred::Eoc/HC Infil::Vulcanador::Hawkins Tech::EOC Raider::

" I play on north American servers with a 200Ping to give you cry babies a chance"

2XhpJes.png

"Nothing says Good morning Like a well placed Nade"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users