• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Dedhed

Dedhed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

The title pretty much describes the issue. It's a fairly minor thing, just set display to "display 2" before playing Hawken. Still a bit inconvenient and I sometimes forget until it's starting up and if I set "display 2" after it's started, the game crashes. Anyone know a way to play sound through t.v. with a laptop without having to do this?

If not, at least this can be info for anyone having this issue. Took a while to get sound to work at all with the t.v., so maybe this will save someone some time if nothing else.

"One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality" -- Chief Crazy Horse

"Love is the Law, Love under Will" -- Aleister Crowley

"This is like talking to breakfast cereal" -- Otherland

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Sound is transmitted to the TV in one of three ways, Analog (3.5mm to RCA), DisplayPort, or HDMI. If you connecting by VGA or DVI neither of these pass an audio signal. In the case of VGA/DVI you'd need to connect your headphone out/line out via a 3.5mm to RCA cable to the red and white RCA jacks of your TV. If your connected via DisplayPort or HDMI, finding the right output on your laptop would solve the problem since both interconnects can handle sending both audio and video.

tTIViUr.png

Dedhed

Dedhed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

If your connected via DisplayPort or HDMI, finding the right output on your laptop would solve the problem since both interconnects can handle sending both audio and video.

Yeah, HDMI is what I'm connecting with. If by "finding the right output" you mean going to playback devices in sound options, I've tried disabling the other playback devices (laptop speakers, headphones) and that doesn't work. If you mean something else, could you tell me what that is?

"One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality" -- Chief Crazy Horse

KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Yeah, Im looking at getting an HDMI to hook my desktop up to my TV, but the biggest cable at best buy is like 24 feet, I need like 28 or 30, hoping to also get either a wireless keyboard or xbox controller to play from da couch (mouse is already wireless)

What if we just give some bacon paint, some bacon holo-emotes and change Bunker from snow to bacon.

This way, everyone will be happy.

What you should really do, is replace your parts with bacon, so you can cook games and eat bacon

Obviously the wallpaper would be cooler if bacon was incorporated into it.

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Yeah, HDMI is what I'm connecting with. If by "finding the right output" you mean going to playback devices in sound options, I've tried disabling the other playback devices (laptop speakers, headphones) and that doesn't work. If you mean something else, could you tell me what that is?

Do you have the appropriate drivers installed? That's about the only other thing I can think of that could be stopping it aside from possibly your TV speakers being bad or you've muted it and forgot about it, since HDMI is otherwise totally plug and play.

@Bacon: You could try it but you might find your limited to 720p, since 1080p over HDMI (via HDCP) starts to suffer from signal degridation at 15ft, HD itself both 720p and 1080p cut out at 25ft, anything beyond 25ft you'd need a signal booster/repeater.

tTIViUr.png

Dedhed

Dedhed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

The only other game I've played that is affected by this is the Paladins beta. All other games whether on Steam or not and anything else playing works fine. Seems to be something specific to the game its self. Maybe something for the devs to look into?

Edited by Dedhed, 24 November 2015 - 05:56 PM.

phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Yeah, Im looking at getting an HDMI to hook my desktop up to my TV, but the biggest cable at best buy is like 24 feet, I need like 28 or 30, hoping to also get either a wireless keyboard or xbox controller to play from da couch (mouse is already wireless)

the best place online to get good hdmi cables at a reasonable price is www.cablewholesale.com i order cables for my own business there (i do audio video and home automation).

setting the default audio device to display2 in your case is the only way to get it done, disabling the other devices should not be necessary.  so the game is not passing audio to the hdmi when you have the laptop display extended...  how about if you set display2 to as primary?

The only other game I've played that is affected by this is the Paladins beta. All other games whether on Steam or not and anything else playing works fine. Seems to be something specific to the game its self. Maybe something for the devs to look into?

i think it's likely connected to the issue that the game has if i change from my monitor speakers (over hdmi) to my headphones while i'm in game.  When i forget to set it back to headphones, i have to restart the game in order to get audio going; only happens with hawken.

Edited by phed, 24 November 2015 - 06:58 PM.

• Dedhed likes this

Dedhed

Dedhed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

setting the default audio device to display2 in your case is the only way to get it done, disabling the other devices should not be necessary.  so the game is not passing audio to the hdmi when you have the laptop display extended...  how about if you set display2 to as primary?

Thanks!  :wub:  I actually had the monitor and t.v. set up as duplicate displays and didn't want to mess with an extended display as I'd never used that before. Doing so with the t.v. set to main (have to go to "display settings" in control panel on Win 10, the display settings it gives you when right clicking the desktop doesn't do it) works perfectly. Now I've just got to find how to use my mouse on the laptop screen with Hawken on the t.v.  :teehee:

Thanks again Phed <3

• phed likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users