• 994 posts

• JeffMagnum and eth0 like this

HK-47D

HK-47D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
I'm in FL, and on the new jersey servers I will average a 48 ping.

My network setup
Centurylink Modem Router Combo - NETGEAR ProSAFE GS108 Switch - PC

No other devices are connected to that network while I'm playing.
All connections are wired with cat6 cable.

I only have a 10mbps/750kbps connection. It's the fastest in my area unfortunately.

(\__/)
(='.'=) 

(") (")?

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

I, too, would like to know the answer to this.

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

HK-47D

HK-47D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
Overheating modem or router
Playing on wifi
Sharing your connection with family
Downloads in the background
Voice chat

Can all cause ping spikes

(\__/)
(='.'=) 

(") (")?

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Oh I was j/k, lol, but thanks for the tips nonetheless.
I am actually fully aware that my ISP just sucks during certain times of the day (Unfortunately that's usually HKTS prime times....).
I'm not wholly convinced Reloaded's servers aren't exacerbating problems though... >.>

Edited by (TDM) DeeRax, 07 January 2016 - 01:09 PM.

• HK-47D likes this

2XhpJes.png

eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Listen to me! I know a whole helluva lot more than you do.

Close your tabs (anywhere from fifty billion to fifteen should be good) and you wont lag all day.

• _incitatus likes this

Pubstomping is a whole different strategic discussion, however, and usually just becomes an exploration of the ethics of dumpstering randos.

UYoy63i.png

Why mech game make when you no mech game have you don't want to make? 

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
All residential ISPs have their customers sharing bandwidth. Like 20 or more 10 Meg plans sharing a 30 Meg backhaul. Your ISP is using some fancy QOS to manage all of that and try to make it seem as though you get the speeds you pay for.

If you're willing to shell out the dpough, get a dedicated connection, the ISP will slice off 3,5,10 Meg that no one but you can touch.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

All residential ISPs have their customers sharing bandwidth. Like 20 or more 10 Meg plans sharing a 30 Meg backhaul. Your ISP is using some fancy QOS to manage all of that and try to make it seem as though you get the speeds you pay for.

If you're willing to shell out the dpough, get a dedicated connection, the ISP will slice off 3,5,10 Meg that no one but you can touch.

I would love to do this.

My personal problem is that the ISP I have is technically "free" (i.e. Included in the rent). And, of course, it's some shitty thing because my landlord only does the bare minimum. So, really, my only option is to simply move to a new apartment, lol. Otherwise I'll be paying for internet twice.

2XhpJes.png

maxajcd

maxajcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

I WAS HERE WHEN THIS TOOK PLACE GIVE ME CREDIT FOR SOME REASON 1:19 BB "roasted" 2:53

Edited by maxajcd, 07 January 2016 - 05:38 PM.

I do appreciate the art, but I don't have time to find anything good. /h/

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

I would love to do this.

My personal problem is that the ISP I have is technically "free" (i.e. Included in the rent). And, of course, it's some shitty thing because my landlord only does the bare minimum. So, really, my only option is to simply move to a new apartment, lol. Otherwise I'll be paying for internet twice.

I did this for a year while relocating to Dallas from Phoenix.  Do it.

To the OP... inci, base your home network on a GOOD Gigabit switch.  I use a TP-Link, 24-port (I have three daughters and a wife, a NAS, a TV head-end server, wifi upstairs, downstairs, plus two TVs on the network.  Oh, and my four PCs.).

Isolate your WIFI from your ROUTER.  Make your ROUTER on its own subnet (switch port), and the ONLY thing it does is serve the WAN connection and the switch.  This wants a Cat-6 crossover cable, I'm pretty sure.

Make your WIFI (I have two: upstairs/downstairs.  Downstairs is on 5GHz, upstairs is 2.4) on it's own subnet.  These probably don't want a Cat-6 crossover cable, but could.

Then plug in every other computer/device (obviously not the wifi printers and phones) into the switch with Cat-6.

NO MORE GAME INTERRUPTS DUE TO KIDS DOWNLOADING PONY fuzzy bunny (or whatever the fuzzy bunny else they download), and my network is very fast.  I have pings under 64ms to every server in NA.

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts
My network is fine guys. Wasn't me having the problem.

Actually when my kids watch the Netflix, my ping improves. Go figure.

Edited by (thc)_incitatus, 07 January 2016 - 08:31 PM.

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Listen to me! I know a whole helluva lot more than you do.

Close your tabs (anywhere from fifty billion to fifteen should be good) and you wont lag all day.

It's my headset.

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

My network is fine guys. Wasn't me having the problem.
Actually when my kids watch the Netflix, my ping improves. Go figure.

ISPs typically Try to improve throughput when you're streaming, as this is what the majority of consumers use an Internet service for. Again, QOS at work.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

ISPs typically Try to improve throughput when you're streaming, as this is what the majority of consumers use an Internet service for. Again, QOS at work.

I'm gonna start streaming on two tv's when I play from now on.

I do actually have issues with my ping doubling on the same server, match to match. Even when I bypass my router. Goes from 44 to 110. Few matches later, back to 44.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users