stage one*DONE* 5/ 11/ 2016

stage two in effect

stage one keycaps

stage two artisan keycaps

Custom Hawken Keyboard Project

Theme: My raider with the shark chassis

so doods heres a thread im gonna update until im done

4/24

so friggin boring i swear i just moved to a different city and they dont provide multiple internet services for one house and here i am i gotta use wifi and thats lame and now i gotta find a wifi adapter and theres like a bazillion walls betwixt and now im looking for a mechanical keyboard cuz this keyboard is lame grumblegrumblegrumble'

super excited for my new keyboard not too keen about cleaning a keyboard from ebay

invert blitz icon for ability key bIMfuUW.png

im thinking white ink on blue keycaps

im looking for good sample icons of EMP/ HECHARGE/ SHIELD i love the icons used on https://www.playhawk...ame-guide/items

wooh xJRIGuQ.png

4/26 

usps status says its delivered but i dont see it around my house...

either theyre lieing or theyre telling the truth. i dont like either situation.

Thanks to Xployt for posting the images i was looking for.

Thanks to everyone in this thread https://community.pl...25-hawken-font/

4/27

talked with local usps office over the phone, they said it might have been stolen.

UPDATE:

walked to my residential office as a last resort, behold my package. it wasnt stolen.

typing this on my new keyboard atm. its kinda gross, theres skin flakes a dust...grody to the max bruhh. cherry mx blues feel weird. im used to bottoming out my keycaps but i know im not supposed to do that now. if i dont bottomout my keycapstrokes like a savage, i can feel the actuation point + it makes a nice click. this is nice.

im gonna get o-rings QaaiesC.png

wip 1JMmuqP.png

removed keycaps from keyboard WTFF AAAGGGHHH ITS SO GROSS using a warped paper clip

Thanks to person who made this vid 

update: cleaned the crap from the old keyboard. it was gross. will not provide pics. contemplating if i should sandpaper the coolermaster logos away.

i want to mod the switches, but theres a metal plate surrounding all the switches so i cant open them... contemplating buying a soldering iron to desolder.............. i dont think thats gonna be worth it unless i buy like, custom springs.

4/28

installed o-rings 

Cherry Mx Blues are very loud at night... even with orings dampeners, im guessin its cuz i live in a quiet neighborhood or im just not used to these yet

4/29

Theres a weird coating surrounding the plastic cover. its like rubber paint?

Im gonna wetsand the entire thing, good bye obnoxious logos. also you can see the fading paint on the bottom right.oN9NPVv.jpg

i got red keycaps to replace the faded greasy used keycaps. these will be placeholders until im done with designing.

sanded XIkzz3s.jpg?1

4/30

MkFju4u.png

5/3

UTkSiOx.png

5/4

1BNCx0Z.pngim going to flip my space bar, thats why the arrow on the spacebar is flipped.

sry to Xployt for not implementing the icons in the final design

there are many mechs and builds i use that having specific keycaps that dont match wasnt appealing to me. a keyboard layout that is 

simple just seems sexier.

5/7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRj6xzNx7P4

im thinking of making artisan keycaps. to be determined

custom keycap set is printed and ready for shipment thanks to wasdkeyboards.com 

5/9

cherry mx blues are really nice with orings. i removed them to experience blues without orings and the click is almost always

drowned out by bottoming out the keycap.i recommend all cherry mx blue users to use orings.

im also going to make an artisan raider keycap. i considered going to Michaels for crafting supplies, but i assume Home Depot has

better things for crafting.

5/10

cherry mx blues too annoying for fast typing

i only like it when its slow paced typing or gaming

compare gentle traffic passing by versus a darn nascar race in your ear

custom keycap set almost here!!!

maybe i should buy a soldering iron and open up the switches so i can refurbish them. some keys especially the wasd dont sound

or feel the same as other keys. most likely due to use from the previous owner.

im thinking of lubing the internals and adding aftermarket gold springs. gold plating being mostly useless but swagilicious.

5/11

yay the custom keycap set is here. pics soon.

dang, removing every cap and removing the orings then placing them on the new keycap set is lame.

listening to music helps...

vweKk53.jpg

6DIM9bI.jpg

R6JmwcN.jpgviVQHTC.jpg

oJQR67A.jpg?1

BI80Rm3.jpg

crWvNM1.jpg

im lovin my new keyboard

I lubricated the stabilizers underneath the large keys using silicon grease and added orings to dampen presses and prevent bottoming out. it really helps with touch typing and noise.

i never new that theres different mechanisms just for keyboards and that people have been personalizing keyboards for years.

i also didnt think i would ever pay more for the keycaps than the keyboard...

i thought of making the keycap set grey with some red in there, buuuttt someone else can do that.

if someone wants the inkscape files for wasdkeyboards.com to use this exact template just ask.

new thread is gonna be about custom artisan keycaps based on hawken mechs and abilities

So here it is, a keyboard with hawkens font.

5/20

desoldered the switches off the pcb; removed them from a metal plate; took each switch apart; installed 78 gram springs replacing the 55g stock spring

removed orings from alphanumerics

got a job

going to save money to buy crafting supplies

Edited by TurquoiseTortoise, 20 May 2016 - 10:27 PM.

• PoopSlinger likes this

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

gy1guTG.jpg

• phed, dorobo, Guns_N_Rozer and 4 others like this

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

lo_spaghetto

lo_spaghetto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

w0t?

• PoopSlinger likes this

CitkI9t.jpg

xbIxKeE.png?1

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

By what means are you making/getting the custom caps?

As for cleaning a keyboard, 60psi air from an air compressor followed by good scrubbin with an old toothbrush will be plenty for all but the goopyest of boards. I like to pull all the keycaps off and toss them around in a bucket of warm soapy water as well.

Edited by Hyginos, 25 April 2016 - 05:27 AM.

• OdinTheWise and raging_squirrel like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

talon70

talon70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Great deal, you will like the difference of mechanical.

Do not use compressed air with alcohol on keyboards. It can get so cold it causes keycaps to become brittle and to crack where they attach.

Custom raider keycaps would be so cool you should put them on other keys rather than 'wasd' so the images  do not get worn off. Maybe an F key burst symbol. I would like a set.

TurquoiseTortoise

TurquoiseTortoise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

http://imgur.com/a/SleDh made by someone

Edited by TurquoiseTortoise, 25 April 2016 - 09:31 PM.

• phed likes this

phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

http://imgur.com/a/SleDh made by someone

What game is that for?

I'd love to get a custom f key, the scout abilty icon would be perfect.

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

What game is that for?

I'd love to get a custom f key, the scout abilty icon would be perfect.

That is from the keypad on the shuttle that Ripley uses to escape from the Nostromo in alien.

Edited by (TDM)coldform, 26 April 2016 - 12:29 PM.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

im looking for good sample icons of EMP/ HECHARGE/ SHIELD i love the icons used on https://www.playhawk...ame-guide/items

Here: http://imgur.com/a/Ej02M

• TurquoiseTortoise likes this

TurquoiseTortoise

TurquoiseTortoise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Ohmy. 

XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Here are some other ones: http://imgur.com/a/bTcQY

I was trying to learn the basics of creating vectors via Inkcape and I decided to recreate those icons since nobody was bored enough to do it.

• Meraple and TurquoiseTortoise like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users