Tankman95

Tankman95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Hey folks!

Community Generated Content Contest
Basicly it's aidea for a contest about letting the community create custom skins for a mech chassis and then having decision by the devs on let's say three finalists and then the community votes for the best.

I've seen this in some other games and it worked well.

For example:
We are given a template of the Assault Chassis and then we have about a few week (3-4) time to be creative :D

Then the devs pick three skins and we have to vote our favourite one. That you will be implimented alongside the already existing chassis.

This could be done over and over again to cover (mostly) all chassis.

What do you think?

• Houruck, Meraple, WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW and 1 other like this

"I loved Battlestar Galactica. Chewbacca was my favorite Klingon in it."

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Well nice creations to .. watch then. I don't know how I could do that D:

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

FRX23

FRX23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

As Reloaded now own Hawken and All Point Bulletin, maybe they can implemant the customising feature of APB.

It is a stickers/paintings layers system which is easy to use and give impresive results.

Paintjob start at 0:45

• talon70 likes this

AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

As Reloaded now own Hawken and All Point Bulletin, maybe they can implemant the customising feature of APB.

It is a stickers/paintings layers system which is easy to use and give impresive results.

Paintjob start at 0:45

Possible, but unlikely. I'm guess the UT engines for both games have been modified, so it wouldn't be carried over easily.

I mean, I'd love to see it, but I'm not going to get my hopes up, because a customization system like that is a big endeavour.

IronClamp

IronClamp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I have a few horribly made custom skins that a few would know as childishly obnoxious in quality that I would love to install just to scare the hell out of the opponents with their horrendous gaudiness. 

(I'm back :)

Houruck

Houruck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Erathic (an artistic member of the community) searched through the game files and he found how the in-game camos are applied and used this to design his own creations. Including a shared camo promised by the deveoplers for Blue Vengeance, Vodka People and BSB-EU for helping out at the gamescom event. It was sadly postponed and cancelled countless times and they never delivered it.

Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202013-12

screenshot.jpg.jpg

HawKen_PacificRim.jpg

Edited by Houruck, 06 April 2015 - 08:54 AM.

• Tankman95, MomOw and IronClamp like this

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

predators gonna predate

Tankman95

Tankman95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

That's what I'm talking about.

Giving out a basic skin-template and let people be creative. For the most things you don't even need enormous photoshopskills.

"I loved Battlestar Galactica. Chewbacca was my favorite Klingon in it."

Molasses_Jack

Molasses_Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I'm resurrecting this two year old post because ... I'm Still Hoping For It.

I can understand that the developers don't want to have to store a bazzilion custom skins on their servers (if that's how it would work).  But allowing a player to purchase the right to have one custom skin per mech could be a very popular option.

At a former job we played Quake3 at lunchtime, and I created custom character skins for my coworkers with their faces on them. It was a riot watching coworkers running around in the game.  Imagine a CR-T with a photo of the player sitting at the controls on the windshield.  At the moment the only customizations are the logos and colors/camo patterns that are (sorry to say) pretty blah.  A few of the image skins are good (Crabby Scout for one), but anybody can buy them; none are going to be unique to the pilot.

So let's say you pay to add a skin. Later you decide to swap out for a different torso or pair of legs. You'll want to make a new skin to match, so you pay your money and you swap in your new skin.  If the cost isn't too high people will want custom skins for all their mechs, and periodically change them.  To keep offensiveness to a minimum have a rule of no curse words, raised middle fingers, copy-written logos, nude pictures, etc.  Just skins like Houruck shows above.  Allowing player-created skins can help generate additional interest.  Look at what it's done for Team Fortress 2.  Ten years on the market and still hugely popular, with enthusiast-made customizations  added constantly.  Something to think about... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users